Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

FAQ request

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Harleyquin, May 6, 2005.

1. Harleyquin

Harleyquin IncGamers Member

FAQ request

Every user of the necromancer forum will see a sticky for the golem faq, but I would like to request a faq for the other summoned creatures, namely skeleton warriors, magi and revives. Is it possible for one of the necromancer experts to come up with one to help aspiring corpse-raisers?

2. Pherdnut

Pherdnut IncGamers Member

Well, skellies aren't really all that complicated whereas the golems have all manner of special abilities and bizarre balance issues. If you have any specific questions I would just throw them out there.

Here's a mini-faq

With Amp Damage, skeleton warriors do a fair amount of physical damage even though it doesn't look like much from their stats. With a Might merc, Beast, and Pride they do craploads. With a full point investment and decent plus skills they are very hard for monsters to kill.

Mages do one of four types of elemental damage. Poisoners do almost none but prevent healing, freezers do a bit more and chill, and lightning and fire do the most damage overall. People debate whether they are worthwile combining with warriors since they don't do much damage without Lower Resist. I would argue that they do quite a bit for a mere 20 points investment and are entirely worth it unless you want to work out some kind of bone or poison hybrid. At 30/30 points in RSM and SM, mages have less than a quarter of the health that the warriors do at the same levels so it is a good idea to try shield them with Gumby when they get attacked since once they start shooting they don't really like to move. They also take some obnoxious microing when initially raising to keep the poisoners and chillers to a minimum since skellies will tend to focus on one target and not stop until it's dead or out of range so the extra poison and chill becomes redundant.

Revives have insane amounts of HP and can be very effective if you choose the right monsters. I personally think their time limit makes them too much of a hassle to be the basis for their own build (except for something silly like that 30-40 cow PKing stampedamancer I've been meaning to put together for pubby duels). However, having just one point in revives will give you the ability to throw up a considerable meat shield to help draw attention away from you and all your skellies. The more targets the enemy has to attack the better off all your minions are.

3. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Skellies and Mages aren’t as complex as Golems or Revives. What Pherdnut said pretty much covers it. The build guides supply the other information. Revives can benefit from a bit more strategic look at monsters and a herding guide. The new 1.10 Skellies outshine them and a good tactical look at their possibilities may make them a little more popular.

4. Pherdnut

Pherdnut IncGamers Member

Or you could just use them for obnoxious builds whos sole purpose to wreak chaos at Pubbie duels.

:)

5. Harleyquin

Harleyquin IncGamers Member

Why are revives considered weaker than skeleton warriors (apart from the time limit)? If a player revives monsters like Urdars or Minotaurs wouldn't they be stronger than skeleton warriors (assuming skeleton mastery 20 raise skeleton 20)?

About the strategic look at monsters and herding, could you point me to the right direction regarding this topic?

6. Mad Mantis

Poor path finding is what makes Revives weaker than Skellies in the eyes of most people. Revives will do more damage if you raise the correct monster, but they will also get lost much easier.
    Another problem is that in order to get the most useful and powerful Revives, you need to go and find that monster type. A lot areas in the game have less than useful monsters. So you either make the most out of the available stock, or you need to go hunt for specific types of monsters.

AFAIK there are no more threads available on that subject. We lost numerous threads about Revives in the big crash. After that 1.10 came out and people started posting about Skellies and forgot about Revives.

7. darzog

darzog IncGamers Member

It also seems to me that Revives cause more lag than Skels or Mages (this may be just me though). For general killing or MFing I stick with normal minions. When you're gearing up for a boss, or doing a Baal run then I would grab some extra Revives for an extra punch. But especially in narrow areas like the pits, Revives can get stuck very easily.

8. Damric

Damric IncGamers Member

Revives are very good if you max your mastery and even put 1 point since typically you will have lots of +skills from items. My favorite place to get good revive monsters is to go to act 2 the palace lvl 1. There you can find blunderbores, doom apes, assassins, and fire mages. The main disadvantage (revives getting lost) can be alleviated only if you have enigma teleport ability. That's why there is such a huge difference between a summoner and a rich summoner. Also with teleport and a large revived creature you can do minion stacking, or what I call a "minion-blob". This will allow your mages (and rogue merc) to fire in a stream and makes you hard to hit. My current necro has placed skills to max mages/mastery 1 point warrior/revive. After +skills I got 10 warriors, 16 mages, and 21 revives. Why do people blame me on lag when I didn't make their computer suck?

9. batuchka

batuchka IncGamers Member

Hmm i know this might probably be too much work on an individual but i wished they had individual monsters damage stated with a certain lvl of skelly mastery like popular ones : Urdars, Frenzytaurs, Cows, etc Had to visit Arreat Summit to figure out ave. elemental dmg for a lvl 30/30 mastery/mages :p Yes i agree there is a rather big difference between an Enigma summoner necro and a normal one as when running hell baal w/o Enigma previousy a few dim witted revives would happily hack at festering appendages a long way off while others are engaging Baal!

10. Mad Mantis

The problem with this is that monster damage isn't correctly stated. The damage you se displayed in the Bestiaries isn't the correct one.

11. batuchka

batuchka IncGamers Member

Hey ya looking at how chars get hurt bad in Hell by monsters doing 125 damage does make me wonder if the numbers are all wrong in them Bestiaries hehe. Especially those Poison Vipers at Nihaltak who seem to eat merc alive until i gave him an andy helm and cast life tap - are those numbers very far off and there is no other sources then?

12. Mad Mantis

No other sources that I know of. From what I can tell the numbers are very far off. The numbers are just comparison amounts.