Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Fansite Names in Games

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Flux, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Flux

Flux Administrator

Fansite Names in Games

This article came up in my diablo 3 google news today, and when I clicked it I was like, "Geechk?!"

http://news.mmosite.com/content/2010-07-26/the_funny_npc_names.shtml

I don't think I'll news it on the main page since it's kind of masturbatory, even though I had nothing to do with writing it. But just while we're on the topic, do you guys think it's cool when games work in the names of developers or fans as NPCs or items or other such Easter Egg type things?

I'm actually a little torn on it, which might seem odd given my D2 merc namesake, but I think D2 did it pretty well. Lots of the mercs in the game were named after people; there are like 9 or 10 after fansite peeps, and lots of others after bliz employees or their family/friends. And tons of items and monsters are named for them also. However in almost every case, the names fit the setting and mythology.

Scorch and Flux are good names for Act 3 mercs, and Elly and Gaile are good names for Act 1 mercs. Or at least they aren't so bad as to totally stand out. As would something like oh... Jimmy Bob.

Personally I wanted them to put Flux on a monster. I'd rather have fans griping about how lame I was to MF, than be a useless Iron Wolf merc. But obviously it's so cool to be so honored at all that no one's really going to complain about it. (Not even me.)

How do you guys feel about the issue? Do you like seeing fansite peeps and employee names and other recognizable titles for monsters/items/mercs/etc in the game? Would you like to see more of it? Maybe Bliz could run contests or public drawings and pick a bunch of fan names to include?

Or do you think it's silly and superficial and distracting from the game world/fiction, and you want it all gone. Even if that means you'd give up any chance to ever have a unique dagger or Scavenger named after you?

2. MonsterOfTheLake

MonsterOfTheLake IncGamers Member

Re: Fansite Names in Games

Surely after all the MF praise you've written, you'd have a really high TC. Or maybe they'd go the ironic route and make you drop cracked sashes in Hell.

As long as it doesn't look out of place, I honestly don't care. Reizarfg yes, Jimmy Bob no.

3. Flux

Flux Administrator

that would be a decent vote. If you could have your online name in a game, what would you want it to be? Monster? Item? Merc? NPC?

I still want monster. It's like a personality trait test, and I'm more given to opposing people than assisting; at least in real life. So monster for me.

4. Leugi

Leugi IncGamers Member

I don't think "Leugi" fits for a monster... it does a bit for a Mercenary or an NPC, but only a bit...

Fan names on games are actually a nice little thing, but yeah only when they DO fit...

And I'm pretty sure that if our friend who first posted on this thread, MonsterOfTheLake, had his name on any game it would simply be a Monster of the Lake xD

5. Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop IncGamers Member

I like it.

I don't want many or even more than a very very few, but it is a nice homage to those that have gone above and beyond supporting Blizzard and helping to organize others that love their games.

The references to other universe characters I can do without.

The only exception would be if they had a gang of 6 npcs named:

John, Eric, Michael, Terry, Terry and Graham

6. MonsterOfTheLake

I'll concede that my nick doesn't particularly lead itself to NPC-ing opportunities, but I'd rather be a monster in any case. Perhaps an item, but items don't kill players for daring to venture into your lake.

7. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

when they were making HGL (fail) a friend of mine (someone who used to go this sites live chat often) wrote them and explained how our friend just passed away and the only game he could really play was the diablo games due to his condition. they named a monster after him which i thought was pretty cool

i am fine with the name giving and nods handed out. it is better if it fits the mytho but really with a game like diablo if it steps out a bit it is ok with me also.

8. Obdob

Obdob IncGamers Member

I like it when names that deserve recognition are added, such as Flux. Its very endearing.
    (I laughed when i saw your "masturbatory" article got 25 "boring" votes out of 37. hehehe)

9. Dahmer

Dahmer IncGamers Member

I think it's awesome :D I laughed my *** off when I ran into an npc called Gorge Corpsegrinder in World of Warcraft (named after Cannibal Corpse's singer) :D

10. Flux

Flux Administrator

Since virtually every RPG has a demonic creature in a body of water, I'd say you have been, and will continue to be, well-represented in the genre. Most likely including Diablo 3, though admittedly we've yet to see any water monsters.

11. korialstraz

korialstraz IncGamers Site Pal

I like this. It shows the developer in a way cares for their community, and have a sense of humor. This has been done in Sacred as well, were names of people who run fansites or have contributed to the community in a big way is recognized. Either through NPCs, a name on some graveyard with a funny quote, monsters etc.

Easter eggs like that are fun, and I wouldn't mind seeing more of them. Both the obscure and not so obscure references. :D

12. Pyrohemia

Pyrohemia IncGamers Member

While it is a nice gesture to give a nod to your supporters I think it is lame to include their names in the general game. In an easter-egg level it would be cool, though. Imagine going around an easter-egg area populated with rainbow coloured unicorns each with the unique name of a prominent fan. That would be worth a smile although I'm not sure if allowing players to slay representations of your fans is the right message.

It could make a cool promotion. Blizzard sends an email to several dozen prominent fans asking them each for a personalized image. These images are then used to texture residents of the "Secret Unicorn Level" so that each unicorn gets its own look. Fans get recognition and their own little personalized touch on the game.
    Now, of course, I have blown the whole operation by writing this post. :p

13. MonsterOfTheLake

Did you just call me a Tentacle Beast?

What have I ever done to you, Flux?