Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Fans of The Hobbit Unite! (hopefully)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by MedctnStn, Oct 2, 2010.

1. MedctnStn

MedctnStn Diabloii.Net Member

Fans of The Hobbit Unite! (hopefully)

Huge fan of Peter Jackson's Lord of the rings trilogy, as well as the books. Ever since I have heard of news of the Hobbit being made I was ecstatic. Over the last number of years my optimism for it being made has dwindled with all the setbacks. After keeping close tabs on the legal setbacks through a number of websites, I hopefully have good news for everyone else who have been waiting too.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-et-1002-ct-hobbit-20101002,0,6619032.story

seems like the movie may start shooting in January as a two part prequel. Let's hope, but I'm not holding my breath.

FYI: this has to be mu #1 site I use to keep tabs on, even though it hasn't been updated in a while http://derhobbit-film.de/indexengl.shtml

That do you think?

2. nurman

nurman Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Fans of The Hobbit Unite! (hopefully)

Can't wait!

3. Mikachu

Mikachu Diabloii.Net Member

I shall wear my orc helmet for the premier.

4. Voorhees

Voorhees Diabloii.Net Member

When I heard they were gonna make it years ago I had mixed feelings and I still do. The Hobbit is a hard movie to make. Harder than the LOTR trilogy. It will require almost godlike script sense to make it work. What to keep, what to change. We'll see I suppose. I'll definitely watch it in any event.

5. Ariadne

Ariadne Diabloii.Net Member

I'm curious! But not curious enough to skip my second breakfast.

6. Knarlfist

Knarlfist Diabloii.Net Member

I am very intrigued...

From what I remember of the book, at first I couldn't see enough story to stretch across 2 movies. And then I thought about the part the book kinda glossed over, where Gandalf basically takes off to go deal with the bad guy in Mirkwood - who turns out to be none other than the Witch-King of Angmar.

If they spend some time and flesh out that part of it, I could see The Hobbit turning out incredible. I am so glad Peter Jackson is on board now ;-)

7. MedctnStn

my big question is where would they break the two movies up?

I think as Gandalf leaves the company and having them start their journey into Mirkwood would be a good place, assuming they add a lot of other story lines from appendices and whatnot

8. BobCox2

BobCox2 Diabloii.Net Member

3D Peter Jackson version sounds good but it's a hard book to do right.

9. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

I'm not that much interested in the Hobbit, although I will definitely watch in a cinema. I would prefer a movie about something from the Silmarillion. I like spectacular scenes, epic events and emotional moments if they aren't shallow and come in an acceptable action of drama.

I actually see no reason to make it a 3D movie, except when the dragon flies around a bit and maybe a few other scenes. It's not really going to become an action movie. But if more sales are expected, more money will be pumped into it, so well, OK, do it then...

10. MedctnStn

True.

I hope they don't make it 3D. For some reason, I think it will turn out just like Clash of the Titans did

11. jmervyn

jmervyn Diabloii.Net Member

"Release the Dragon!"

No, you're right.

12. HanShotFirst

HanShotFirst Diabloii.Net Member

I hope the legal issues really are resolved, but until I'm sure that they are . . . I refuse to get too excited . . . I can only take so much disappointment :\ .

13. Gorny

Gorny Banned

Hmmm What have I got in my pocket?

Can it be? .. A thrush knocking?

14. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares Diabloii.Net Member

could MGM just hurry up and die so other studios can pick this stuff up

sure, MGM on its death bed has been a good thing, in that it, so far, has had crap like the Red Dawn remake in limbo, but other movies people want to see are being held up (even if they will probably be bad, like Hobbit, sorry, but its been delayed forever and the big marketing push they would've had in the wake of LotR has dissipated now so I don't see them grabbing as big a budget plus they keep juggling directors etc.) so its looking to me like time to dig a shallow grave for MGM

oh and **** 3D

15. enginekid

enginekid Diabloii.Net Member

they better not frikkin deviate from the tolkien text this time!

i was not thrilled with jacksons pointless hollywood deviations from the actual story. they were POINTLESS

tolkien: when frodo and sam are taken prisoner by faramir. then faramir passes the test and shows he is not corruptible like his brother, then gives them both staves and lets them leave

jackson: faramir fails the test showing he is corrupt and takes them to osgilioth?

FAIL

or how about when they get attacked by shelob. jackson screwed over that too diluting the power and meaning of the story. sam and frodo were supposed to stay together and fight off golem with the stave that faramir gave them. then sam was supposed to become a ringbearer too and wear the ring on his finger using it's power to rescue frodo, then give the ring back to frodo without a moments thought showing how true and incorruptible he was.

not to mention the hollywood version of a balrog

balrogs were more than just a fire elemental. theose great wings were supposed to stretch out like a shadow, and they had the form of a man but with a long mane of hair. and the balrog was intelligent and a spellcaster as powerful and smart as gandalf. in the story the balrog cast a counterspell against gandalf tryin to spelllock the door, and gandalf said the spell nearly overcame him. if they made the balrog properly it would have been much more malevolent and scary than a big, dumb fire elemental.

16. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Movies are always different from the original books. It's two entirely different media which transport information in a different manner. I don't know a single movie which doesn't deviate significantly from the original book. I'm fine with Peter Jackson's changes. If you want LotR the books, read the books. If you want LotR the movie, watch the movie.

17. Amra

Amra Diabloii.Net Member

I think it would make an excellent movie if done right.

I generally agree with your whole post.

Some other things that bothered me about LotR:

= the whole "Arwen is dying" thing if Aragorn doesn't win.

= Aragorn's lack of confidence regarding his becoming King of Gondor

= the sword Anduril being forged much later. In the book, iirc, it was reforged during the stay at Rivendell prior to the Fellowship setting out.

This is a good site for looking things up.

18. Amra

Amra Diabloii.Net Member

I think The Outsiders movie was fairly true to the book. But it's been a while since I've read and seen them so I could be mistaken.

19. jmervyn

jmervyn Diabloii.Net Member

[​IMG]
    Yeah, well, I say the same thing about Ewoks or Spielberg, but some folks love that kind of thing.

20. Tanston

Tanston Diabloii.Net Member

It will not turn out like Clash of the Titans. Clash of the Titans was filmed in 2d and very very hastily converted to 3d after it was already done filming to capitalize on the success of Avatar/3d.

If they do the Hobbit in 3d it will be filmed in 3d right from the get go using 3d cameras. It will look vastly superior to clash of the titans.

3d when used correctly adds a beautiful depth of field to a movie. Unfortunately most movies don't use it correctly and they use it as a gimmick which results in things like Clash.