Fallen Shaman - work in progress

Delowyn

Diabloii.Net Member
Fallen Shaman - Finished!

He's finished!
Click for larger view:

Original post below:
----------------------------------------------------------------
The relatives have left and I can finally start working on this one. :thumbup: This is the Fallen, and there isn't much reference material to work from. This is all I have:

So... ya. It's mostly guesswork and improvisation of my own. Here is what I have so far:

Last edited:

Leord

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Fallen Shaman - work in progress

Oh, that's absolutely awesome. Well, obviously a start only, but that's really cool, it's so nice to see it starting to take shape!

There was a guy leaving a comment on the actual picture, so check that out. He basically said to make the horns bigger.

Indeed, make the horns a lot bigger, the throat a tad longer, and much wider, to the point where there is almost no "fold" at the back of his head. Probably make the chest muscles a little smaller, or less prominent, and same with the muscles in the back. Bit bigger tummy...

But save many of the models on the way, as I'd assume normal Fallens have smaller horns and more muscles!

Phat Wolf

Diabloii.Net Member

This is really, really nice work...but I don't know if it's just me or something but I feel that it doesn't look mean enough. :p

Delowyn

Diabloii.Net Member
Fallen Shaman - Update 2

+bigger horns
+slightly larger belly
+rounded pectorals, not so chiseled
+slightly larger and longer neck , less of a fold at back of head
+arms
+hands
+tweaked feet and added toenails

Don't mind the pronounced seam down the middle of him. That's just from the other half of him being cloned. While I build one half, the cloned half builds itself in realtime. When I'm done, I trash the clone and symmetrize/merge the "real" half, and the seam goes away.

Last edited:

Holyknight3000

D3 Fan Creations Forum Moderator

As always, kick *** work Delo, keep it up, You know i wonder how a fallen would look with a sadistic grin with teeth showing lol /ignore me on that one. keep it up man!

HK

Leord

Diabloii.Net Member

That's ace man! The face and eyes look bloody brilliant. Love it!

I think you can increase throat size a tad more (but not making it longer).

Have you started on textures yet?

AkumaSlayer

Diablo: IncGamers Member

Looks great so far! :grin: Love the claws in the last screenshot.

Leord

Diabloii.Net Member

Indeed, it really starts to look like an actual fallen...

I made a Battle.net post about it, but I don't have the url here...

Delowyn

Diabloii.Net Member

No, haven't started texturing yet. In fact, I haven't had a chance to work on any of it since that last screenshot was posted. A buddy and I recently got back into playing Diablo 2, and well... there goes all my time! hahaha Otherwise it would have been done by now. Things yet to do are all the props and clothing, textures, and rigging.

Last edited:

Leord

Diabloii.Net Member

Oh, well, that's what happens =)

The important thing in life is to have fun, so I can't really argue with you ;)

Dariel

Diabloii.Net Member

Great job, especially from a such small reference. I think it would look a lot better with hooves.

Last edited:

Delowyn

Diabloii.Net Member

It's funny, I was thinking that too, along with the goat-style legs. But then it would be one of them Goatmen, and not a Fallen, which don't have hooves or the goat-style legs.

Vadoff

Diabloii.Net Member

Head should be smaller.
Forehead should be smaller to match jaw size, oval shaped head instead of heart shaped.
Chest should be bigger.
Shoulder muscles bigger.
Base of neck bigger.
Upper back needs to be hunched more.
Lower back should be arced more, belly should stick out.
Thighs should protrude out from the sides of his hips (unless that's part of his gear).
Fallen are demons that are related to imps. All imps in Diablo 2 had tails, and almost all demons I can think of atm had tails as well. I think the model could use a short/thin tail, especially now that the new Fallen look so "gecko-like".

Great progress from the first model, beginning to shape up to look like the avatar.
Keep up the good work!

Last edited:

Leord

Diabloii.Net Member

Great progress from the first model, beginning to shape up to look like the avatar.
Keep up the good work!
First look at what we got:
  • Fallen (D3)
  • [D2W]Fallen[/D2W] (D2)
  • [D2W]Fallen One[/D2W] (D1)

I'm not sure I agree completely =) And I guess you are trying to help, but you are coming through as a bit harsh on the guy =P

• Head should be smaller - But not by much.
  • Forehead smaller, jaw size match, oval shaped - A little bit smaller, and little bit bigger jaws, possibly. They have changed the art style in D3 compared to previous games, where they had a real face. It's very hard to deduct .anything from that small Bashiok image...
  • Chest should be bigger - Disagree completely.
  • Shoulder muscles bigger - Yeah, a little, to give the right disfiguration.
  • Base of neck bigger - Yep, a little.
  • Upper back needs to be hunched more - Not sure... Don't think so. It's more posing anyway.
  • Lower back should be arced more, belly should stick out - Also posing.
  • Thighs protrude from the sides of his hips - Don't understand...
  • Fallen related to imps. D2 imps had tails - Again, I think he's trying to make a model out of the one Fallen source we have, not re-designing it... No Fallen has ever had a tail.

Writing this, I noticed when looking at it in a larger pic that the ears are frickin massively long and thin! Check it out on the actual page (Fallen), as I can't use img tags here to stretch it.

ThulRasha

Re: Fallen Shaman - Update 2

+bigger horns
+slightly larger belly
+rounded pectorals, not so chiseled
+slightly larger and longer neck , less of a fold at back of head
+arms
+hands
+tweaked feet and added toenails

Don't mind the pronounced seam down the middle of him. That's just from the other half of him being cloned. While I build one half, the cloned half builds itself in realtime. When I'm done, I trash the clone and symmetrize/merge the "real" half, and the seam goes away.

Great work already.

From the little animated gif, I would say that his lower neck should be a bit wider, bit more muscled. In the animated gif, it seems to flow into his shoulders.

The fallen ones in D2 had really small legs compared to their upper body, perhaps you can do something with that.

It's hard to see, but on some frames in the animated gif you can see the fallens hips. They seem to be quite wide, maybe the legs should be a bit more attached to the sides of his body and not at the bottom like a human has.
Perhaps changing this will make it look less like an altered human body and more like a humanoid monster.

Keep up the good work!

Delowyn

Diabloii.Net Member

And here I thought this was going to be a simple project. hahah!! It's great that so many of you are helping me get it as close as possible to the avatar. I've read everything posted (several times), and I agree with a lot of it, not sure about the rest. But then, my opinion is no better than anyone else's, being based on what little there is to reference.

Vadoff, I know where you're coming from with the oval head. The avatar is indeed a bit rounder than mine. But I was thinking, this avatar is from an in-game model, and we all know in-game art assets are very low resolution. That's why my head has a bit more of a shape to it rather than a generic oval. Since we have no hand-drawn art to reference, it's just a guesstimate on my part as to how the head really looks. The protruding thighs we are seeing, I believe that is his gear. Perhaps a couple skulls attached to his belt? Either way, I know what you're talking about, and I chose to go with the "that is his gear" guesstimate. I actually did add a small tail, but removed it because I didn't know if previous Fallen had one. Luckily, Leord confirmed that in his recent post (no tail).

Leord is right about the bent back and his hunch. That kind of stuff is done with posing the model after I get the bones rigged. This D3 version isn't that hunched up, so I'm confident that posing will provide enough hunching. Now if I was doing an old D2 style Fallen, I'd definitely have to model that in because they are really hunched over.

There's one small wrench in the cogwheel, based on the D1 Fallen that Leord posted. It appears the D1 Fallen has 3 toes on his feet. I have 5. Is it time to remove some toes?

Keep the comments coming as I post more, it is *greatly* appreciated.

AkumaSlayer

It definitely looks like the D1 fallen has 3 toes...

It's too hard to tell how many toes the D2 fallen has, if any.. at a glance I would guess 5.

It's up to you if you want to change it, but I don't think it will be very noticeable in the final render how many toes it has. I guess this also raises the question of how many fingers it has, or claws. I think all animals have the same number on each limb if it's any help.

Delowyn

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Fallen Shaman - Update 3

I'm going to get a few more opinions on the toe issue before doing surgery on him. :crazyeyes:

Biggest change here is the new necklace. I call it the Sun Claw Amulet of Anxiety.

Several tweaks:
+tweaked forehead
+beefed up deltoids a bit
+wider, muscular neck
+longer, pointier ears
+tweaked the pectorals (...again...)

I'll continue doing his clothing and props, and work in the body tweaks as suggestions come in.

I rendered more angles this time so you can see better.

Last edited:

AkumaSlayer

Looks really cool, one note is that it looks more like an animal than a demon, but I think the fallen are in the animal category anyway so it's good. :grin: Incredible detail on the face.

"Sun Claw Amulet of Anxiety" .. was it difficult to make? I think it turned out quite good. Pretty creative for something original. One minor thing is the materials you used, are you going to keep them for the final render? I mean they look ok from a distance but up close they look like.. "plastic" I guess.

Holyknight3000

D3 Fan Creations Forum Moderator

Ah, my guess is he hasn't put textures on anything yet, you guys should know how crazy the detail will get when he does!