Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Fallen Shaman in NM dealing 2000 fire damage?

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by ventilator, Mar 16, 2004.

1. ventilator

ventilator IncGamers Member

Fallen Shaman in NM dealing 2000 fire damage?

Or is my calculation simply wrong?

I got an Avenger with GA, 10 hard points in all resistance auras and thus +5 max fire/light/cold res,which means 95/95/95/90 res all and 2x 13MDR Dwarf Star. While I was crusing along NM, doing some unfinished quests I noticed that sometimes, probably 1 in 5 or 10 hits, a Fallen Shaman's Fireball would hit me for 1 point of damage. I did test this for 5 minutes by singleing one of them out, and letting him hit me with his fireball all the time while keeping my mouse on the lifebulb.

I always assumed that for elemental attacks

Resistance -> Absorb % -> Straight Absorb -> MDR

were taken into account in exactly that order. Now if I calculate backwards from that one point of damage I took this would mean

27 points before MDR (26) and Staight Absorb (0)
    100,675 points before Absorb % (30%)
    2013,5 points before Resistance (95%)

This seems to be way of to me. Now even if MDR was figured in directly after resists and before absorb, this would still mean

3 points before Absorb % (30%)
    29 points before MDR (26)
    580 points before resists (95%)

Which still seems to be far too much elemental damage for an A1 NM monster.

Can anybody tell me what's happening here?

2. Thrugg

Thrugg IncGamers Member

The order is
    MDR -> Res -> %Absorb -> Direct Absorb

So 1 point after your 0 direct absorb and 30% absorb would have been 2 points before it, which would have been 40 points before Res, which would have been 67 before MDR.

3. Biokinton

Biokinton IncGamers Member

Although my amount of knowledge about this issue is far beneath yours I think the explanation is very simple: IF you are damaged by something then you'll get at least 1 point of damage. Normally Diablo truncates the rest of a division so that only full numbers will occur, but if the damage you get would be at 0.000001 then truncating would result in a damage of zero. But it seems that this was not the designers intention.
    So if you wanted to calculate how much damage the shaman really does then you would have to know the untruncated number. But that is not possible to see in the game.

4. ventilator

Biokinton:
    I've thought about that, but don't really come to a conclusion there.

Thrugg:
    I've searched a bit and found sources that are in support of the damage reduction order you are giving which would indeed explain the damage I took. However I've found other sources that suggest that MDR is taken into account after resistance. Would you mind pointing me to your source of information? I'd really appreciate clarification of that issue.

5. Ruvanal

Ruvanal IncGamers Member

For the areas in act 1 nightmare, the shaman fire attacks are doing 31-34 fire damage per hit, 62-68 if they get a critical. Monsters are allowed to get criticals with all of their attacks, even if the players are not. Thruggs extimate of 67 and your own statement that this only happens occasionally (the shaman have a 5% chance of a critical) point to this as being what you are running into.

6. ventilator

Ok, thank you very much for that information. This indeed fits in with my observation and Thrugg's damage reduction order. Now I am very much disappointed by MDR :(

7. Æ’enris

Æ’enris Banned

Get 0 resist/absorb/mdr and go check the damage.

8. Thrugg

Thrugg IncGamers Member

I was going by Tommi's page
    http://www.hut.fi/~tgustafs/damagereduction.html
    which is very thorough and specifically updated for 1.10, and features a stellar cast of acknowledgments, which makes me confident in it :)

BTW because D2 rounds everywhere, it is hard to do a reverse calculation precisely.
    Any damage in the range 62-68 will become 36-42 after MDR, then ~2 after Res, and appear as 1 effective damage after absorb. So I expect all critical hits are doing you 1 damage.

And yes, because MDR is essentially modified by your Res, it gets less useful with more Res. Also note that in the new patch it is not as effective as it used to be against magic attacks with duration (like Firewall).