Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Fall 2019 Mini-RFL Sign-up and Running Thread

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by art_vandelay, Sep 18, 2019.

1. art_vandelay

art_vandelay Diabloii.Net Member

Welcome to the first Mini-RFL! :)

This thread is for signing up and discussion related to the Mini-RFL.

What is Mini-RFL?

RFL is short for 'Rune Finding League' and is a tournament that is hosted every year in the SPF spanning three months and sporting three categories, one for each month. In each category the participants run a certain target for runes and are then scored on the rarity of the runes they found.

This Mini-RFL will span three weeks and offers a different selection of targets than the regular RFL. The categories are:

Category 1: Arcane Sanctuary and Chaos Sanctuary
    Category 2: Travincal
    Category 3: 99er Targets: Two or more Sealbosses, Diablo, Nihlathak, specific Wavebosses and Baal

In all categories players hunt runes but in the second there will be a twist this time: unique and set jewelry pieces are scored as well to reflect the fact that people run the council not just for runes but also for other goodies.

When is Mini-RFL?

The event starts on 26.09.2019 at 23:59 and concludes on 17.10.2019 at 23:59. All times are local, i.e. you do not have to do any timezone math :)

You are free to sign up until the end of the tournament.

What are the rules?

These are the rules that apply to every category, the specific rules for the categories are listed below.
    1. You can enter in as many categories as you wish.
    2. In each category you can do as many 'batches' of runs as you want. A batch consists of 20 hours or less of running the target for that category.
    3. You may not start a new batch within a category until you have played 20 hours in your current batch for that category. You do NOT have to finish a batch in order to compete. (e.g. if you only run for 17 hours total in a category you can report your score anyway) The time spent on a batch is irrelevant for scoring purposes, i.e. if you do a 20 hour batch followed by a 12 hour batch and the second batch has a higher score then that will be your best batch.
    4. Only time spent running the target of a category counts towards a batch in said category. In particular you can use as much time as you wish to mule items, whether it be in-game or via GoMule/ATMA. Generally people regard the time between you clicking 'save & exit' at the end of a run and the start of a new run as part of 'running time'. Of course if you take a break from running you can stop the timer.
    5. Every batch is scored individually and the score of your best batch within a category will be your score for that category. Scoring is found below.
    6. Qualifiers for each category are all runes Pul and above. Additionally in the Travincal category all set/unique rings, amulets, charms and jewels are qualifiers.
    7. Do not post on the SPF about items found in a category for which they are qualifiers. There will be a results thread following this event in which you are free to disclose everything (and brag about it :D ). Everything that's not considered a qualifier is fair game and can be posted anywhere on the SPF.
    8. Versions allowed are 1.13b to 1.14d. All FAM practices are allowed.

Category specific rules:
    • Category 1: Only runes found NORTH* of the 'River of Flame' Waypoint count towards your score. Any rune found in the Arcane Sanctuary counts towards your score.
    • Category 2: Only runes and set/unique pieces of jewelry (=rings, amulets, charms and jewels) dropped by any of the eleven council members in the 'Travincal' level count towards your scores. (this excludes the council members in the 'Durance of Hate lvl 3' as well as the third wave in Baal's Throneroom)
    • Category 3: Runes found in the Halls of Pain/Vaught, NORTH of the RoF Waypoint, the WSK lvl 2-3, the Throneroom and the Worldstone Chamber count towards your score. HOWEVER your intent must be to kill at least two of the Seal bosses OR Diablo OR Nihlathak OR Ventar OR Lister OR Baal. If you have to abort that because of an immunity or other reasons it will still count as long as you intented to kill one of those targets (or two in the case of sealbosses). The idea behind this rule is to allow only runs that people do in order to gain experience quickly. If you want to run Storm Casters for runes you should enter Category 1 instead.

Some of these rules are not air-tight and in particular rule number four is ripe for abuse. If you are unsure about the interpretation of a rule your best course of action is to ask about it in this thread.

* the game considers the upper-right corner of the screen to be north.

Scoring

The scoring is based on the rarity of the runes and jewelry. In the case of jewelry I assumed a magic find of 250 to calculate the rarity. (The lower the MF assumed the higher the score of the jewelry pieces. For example at 168 MF a Mahim-Oak Curio gives 7 points, nearly as much as a Gul Rune; that just feels wrong :p )

To calculate the score for each batch you need to add up the scores of the five top items you found in that batch. Only your best batch counts for the final results.

To facilitate this process I shamelessly copied the MFO score spreadsheet by Nulio/Luhkoh and adapted it for this tournament:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qjK09EchlfsbSaswmjFOsBxaPzsOTxiqEVYknUhXaYw/edit?usp=sharing

The second page of this sheets contains the scores for each individual item but I will post them here for everyone who's not into spreadsheets:

runes.png

and for the Travincal Category:

jewelry250alphabetical.png

jewelry250byscore.png

Sending Results

As soon as you finish running, report the top five items from your best 20 hour batch to me via PM. Please also inform me if you signed up but didn't run. All this is to ensure that I can post the results thread as soon as possible.

The PM needs no special formatting and you don't need to report the scores or calculate a total. I will do myself that once I have received all results. So your PM might look something like this if you ran Travincal:
    Code:
    Metalgrid
    Cham
    Ist
    Nagelring
    Pul

Once I have the results from all the runners I will post a results thread where you can show off your finds. Screenshots of your top 5 are not mandatory but appreciated. In the case of jewelry a screenshot of an unidentified set/unique on the ground proves nothing anyway :)

Prizes and Claiming of Items

There will be none. You get to keep everything you find!

Participants

-------------------
    AS+CS
    -------------------

-------------------
    Travincal
    -------------------
    art_vandelay

-------------------
    99er Targets
    -------------------

Please post if you have comments or suggestions.

You are welcome to discuss anything tournament related in this thread, be it non-qualifier finds, running strategies or character builds!

Good luck and have fun! :)

Babyhell and Luhkoh like this.
  2. art_vandelay

Sign-Up

You may sign up for multiple categories.

-------------------
    AS+CS
    -------------------

-------------------
    Travincal
    -------------------
    art_vandelay

-------------------
    99er Targets
    -------------------

3. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

I’m not sure about the jewellery inclusion as it seems to prioritise MF over rune finding. That’s just my feeling, I haven’t made a spreadsheet:)

But I may just run Trav anyway and not be competitive.

art_vandelay likes this.
  4. Luhkoh

Luhkoh Diabloii.Net Member

-------------------
    AS+CS
    -------------------

-------------------
    Travincal
    -------------------
    art_vandelay

-------------------
    99er Targets
    -------------------
    Luhkoh

Hey! Nice stuff. I'll use this as motivation to get in more chaos runs with my 99er (what I'm doing now anyways). Can't promise I'll get all 20 hours, but should at least get close. Plus rune drops have been garbage for me lately, so maybe joining the tourney will help somehow :rolleyes:.

art_vandelay likes this.
  5. Babyhell

Babyhell Diabloii.Net Member

Oh yes there will be a choice to make... will i run a 99er? I may well do so... i have to get a last Ber/couple of Sur for my Trapsin Infinity, i restarted LK running lately, if it's not successful she will probably give a shot during this tournament ;)

-------------------
    AS+CS
    -------------------

-------------------
    Travincal
    -------------------
    art_vandelay

-------------------
    99er Targets
    -------------------
    Luhkoh
    Babyhell

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    art_vandelay likes this.
  6. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Diabloii.Net Member

Going to throw my name into the fray though I don't know that I will put in much time. My playtime has fallen off a cliff as I try to get several things finished up before winter hits. Just going to hit AS with my Nova Sorc most likely

-------------------
    AS+CS
    -------------------
    CaseyJones

-------------------
    Travincal
    -------------------
    art_vandelay

-------------------
    99er Targets
    -------------------
    Luhkoh
    Babyhell

Luhkoh and art_vandelay like this.
  7. Vildecor

Vildecor Diabloii.Net Member

I already found a Jah and Ber with my javazon during the MFO, so chances are I will not be so lucky this time around!

-------------------
    AS+CS
    -------------------
    CaseyJones

-------------------
    Travincal
    -------------------
    art_vandelay

-------------------
    99er Targets
    -------------------
    Luhkoh
    Babyhell
    Vildecor

8. Babyhell

Babyhell Diabloii.Net Member

9. Albatross

Albatross Diabloii.Net Member

I'll sit this one out. Got into a side project which is eating up nearly all of my free time.

Good luck to everyone!

Luhkoh, art_vandelay and Kitteh like this.
  10. Kitteh

Kitteh Diabloii.Net Site Pal

I think I'll take Kataegis over to the AS :)

-------------------
    AS+CS
    -------------------
    CaseyJones
    Kitteh

-------------------
    Travincal
    -------------------
    art_vandelay

-------------------
    99er Targets
    -------------------
    Luhkoh
    Babyhell
    Vildecor

11. Gynli

Gynli Diabloii.Net Member

Yet another forum event to participate w/ the 99er bowa.

I do have a question though. For MFO and such, when participating in lvl85areas, the drops from Seal bosses and Diablo do not count. Will it be the same for this as well?

Either way, one full 20hr batch should be a realistic goal for this 3week period. :)

-------------------
    AS+CS
    -------------------
    CaseyJones
    Kitteh

-------------------
    Travincal
    -------------------
    art_vandelay

-------------------
    99er Targets
    -------------------
    Luhkoh
    Babyhell
    Vildecor
    Gynli

art_vandelay likes this.
  12. art_vandelay

Well, I'm already glad I made that 99er category :D

Nice to see so many people participating!

If you have more MF than I assumed for the scoring you will get more points than you 'deserve' whereas you will get too few points per qualifier if your MF is lower than the one I assumed. So from that perspective it would be the fairest to set MF to a value that nobody can reach while staying competitive (e.g. 1000 MF). At the same time the rune scores are constant no matter what MF I use, so I wanted to make jewelry valuable compared to runes by not assuming MF that is too high.

I will look at the amount of MF people run this category with and how many pieces of jewelry they actually find. Depending on the results I might change the scores for future tournaments to tone down the importance of jewelry. At this point it's mostly an experiment and nothing is set in stone ;)

Every rune north of the RoF waypoint counts.

The last category is intented to be for everyone who runs at least two sealbosses, a waveboss or one of the big bosses for experience (so most people in the UT99er thread)

I know some people run p8 lvl85 areas (with squishy monsters) for experience but their droprates for runes are closer to the droprates in category 1 so I felt it wouldn't be fair to lump those in with the 99er targets.

Luhkoh likes this.
  13. Luhkoh

Typical american I am, I messed up reading the dates of the tourney, and thought it was only 2 weeks :oops:. Should definitely get a full 20 hours in.

art_vandelay and Babyhell like this.
  14. Shuffleblast

Shuffleblast Diabloii.Net Member

I'll run diablo with my trapsin. Based on running CS during last year's RFL, I'll find many pul runes.

-------------------
    AS+CS
    -------------------
    CaseyJones
    Kitteh

-------------------
    Travincal
    -------------------
    art_vandelay

-------------------
    99er Targets
    -------------------
    Luhkoh
    Babyhell
    Vildecor
    Gynli
    Shuffleblast

art_vandelay likes this.
  15. Gripphon

Gripphon Diabloii.Net Member

-------------------
    AS+CS
    -------------------
    CaseyJones
    Kitteh

-------------------
    Travincal
    -------------------
    art_vandelay
    Gripphon

-------------------
    99er Targets
    -------------------
    Luhkoh
    Babyhell
    Vildecor
    Gynli
    Shuffleblast
    Gripphon

16. Luhkoh

nice! what are you running in the 99ers @Gripphon? I would still love to see a video of chaos exp necro if it's not really annoying to get going for you.

17. Gripphon

Gripphon Diabloii.Net Member

@Luhkoh
    I posted about necro in 99 thread somewhere. It was only two seal running stuff with max block. I would have to dust off items so recording is not really in plan, but I'm sure someone who levels necro can do it with similar effect.

My goal is to level up pitzerker to 97. His Baal map is not ideal, but it's not bad either so I want to use extra level for easier hit breakpoints and more damage output. 20 hours or so of work left which is ideal for this.

Luhkoh likes this.
  18. Luhkoh

@Gripphon gotcha no worries then. I am familiar with your post, but the reason I asked is just because it doesn't seem like any of the untwinked 99er necros have been able to get chaos runs going smooth enough to outpace pit runs. Good luck with the barb!

19. ffs

ffs Diabloii.Net Member

Won't be competitive with this scoring system, but since I'm (supposed to be) running my 99er Pally anyway...

-------------------
    AS+CS
    -------------------
    CaseyJones
    Kitteh

-------------------
    Travincal
    -------------------
    art_vandelay
    Gripphon

-------------------
    99er Targets
    -------------------
    Luhkoh
    Babyhell
    Vildecor
    Gynli
    Shuffleblast
    Gripphon
    ffs

Babyhell likes this.
  20. T72on1

T72on1 Diabloii.Net Member

@Babyhell Only one category? I figured you'd do at least 2, most likely 3 ;).

Thinking about joining myself. Probably not, as I'm way too deep into Grim Dawn. But in the end I might.