Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Faith Runeword on a NecroSummoner

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Friiser, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Friiser

Friiser IncGamers Member

The Fanaticism aura sounds fun. Idea was to put it in a crossbow. I'm short an Ohm and Jah to get the project off the ground, but I think that is what my next project will be.

Anyone have experience with the Faith runeword? If so, or if not and you have an opinion, feel free to drop some knowledge :)

Faith: 4 Socket Missile Weapons
    [ Ohm + Jah + Lem + Eld ]
    Level 12-15 Fanaticism Aura When Equipped (varies)
    +1-2 To All Skills (varies)
    +330% Enhanced Damage
    Ignore Target's Defense
    300% Bonus To Attack Rating
    +75% Damage To Undead
    +50 To Attack Rating Against Undead
    +120 Fire Damage
    All Resistances +15
    10% Reanimate As: Returned
    75% Extra Gold From Monsters

Level 12-15 Fanaticism
    Party Damage +%: 118(lvl 12) to 144 (lvl 15)
    Your Damage +%: 237(lvl 12) to 288(lvl 15)
    Attack Speed +%: 31(lvl 12) to 33 (lvl 15)
    Attack +%: 95(lvl 12) to 110 (lvl 15)
    ....coupled with the Act II merc. Would have summon gear on switch.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  2. pharphis

pharphis IncGamers Site Pal

Usually people use beast since it's multipurpose and can be made 1H (still use spirit, etc.)...

Bow is stylish, ofc, and the ITD and bonus AR could help make it more fun... but BEAR necro sounds more fun than that imo :p

3. maareek

maareek IncGamers Member

I thought someone had done this and there was a thread I could direct you to for thoughts, but a quick glance through the mat/pat thread doesn't have one stand out. I mean there's sirpoopsalot's druid summoner with Faith, but that's not exactly the same.

As far as working: summoners work fine even naked and Faith is ridiculously powerful so yeah the build will treat the game unkindly without so much as a "by your leave," but it's not the strongest thing you can do with a summoner. Going with Beast instead is 1. cheaper (sort of. once you have enigma Faith is basically the default for what to do with a Jah whereas you might still have things other than Beast you want to make with Bers) 2. at worst skill level neutral 3. gives you way more mana, which you'll probably be quite thankful for, especially if you're using Enigma.

If you want you can stick the Faith on a rogue instead. You get to use more +skill equipment to mitigate the loss of Might (without doing any actual math I'd assume Might would provide more damage overall, but either way it's not like we're talking about a difference that would prove a catastrophe for the build) and get to focus the necro solely on summoning. That will weaken your telebombing and (presumably) make it so you have no crushing blow, but you get that ranged damage and fanaticism like you would with the necro wielding it, but you can actually give the rogue IAS and leech to make the bow more of a realistic aide to the party than it would actually be on the necro.

4. Friiser

Friiser IncGamers Member

Thanks for the input. Still want to get an Enigma at some point, so this would be "the next project". I do love the telebombing.

5. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

and beast can be made 1 handed so you can have a runeword shield etc

6. Cyrax

Cyrax IncGamers Member

As others said, make beast instead. Leaves you with an act2 merc -> might aura which you'd miss with act1 merc. And he can carry infinity stick for conviction which you'd also miss.

7. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

He said he was carrying the bow and the merc was still a act2

8. Cyrax

Cyrax IncGamers Member

I have the right to be sleepy. :p

9. Friiser

Friiser IncGamers Member

When I'm playing a necro its usually the sit back and watch my minions take apart the baddies. I don't care to join the fray usually - and when I do, I play my Barbarian ;) Faith would boost my army and allow me to play a kind of sniper role.

I like the crossbow idea, particularly in this one:
    Superior Demon Crossbow
    Two Hand Damage: 27 - 42
    Durability: 25 of 40
    Required Level: 63
    Required Strength: 141
    Required Dexterity: 98
    Fingerprint: 0x92f067f7
    Item Level: 86
    Version: Expansion 1.10+
    5% Enhanced Damage
    4 Sockets (0 used)

Is there a non-Amazon, non-missile item that grants + to Guided Arrow? or Strafe? [...begins looking in GoMule stashes]

+4 to Strafe on Endlesshail Double Bow...but that is Amazon Only
    +3 to Guided Arrow on the Widowmaker Ward bow...but that's a bow
    +3 to Guided Arrow on the Magewrath Rune bow...but that's a bow and Amazon Only
    [/ends looking in GoMule stashes]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  10. japanzaman

japanzaman IncGamers Member

Have you ever considered using an Act I merc and putting the Faith on that? Enigma sounds like the better option if you haven't built it yet- speeds up game play considerable and makes a lot more builds viable.

11. Friiser

Friiser IncGamers Member

Enigma is where my first Jah will go...if I ever get one. That is what I am going for now. Faith is more of a stretch goal in my case - and in the event I do hit the proverbial Rune lottery and am able to make it, I think it would be a fun build.

[to be completed later]
    Head: Undead Crown / Vampire Gaze / Andariel's [email protected]
    Amulet:
    Weapon: Faith Demon Crossbow
    Armor: Enigma
    Gloves: Venom Grip/Lava Gout?
    Belt: Razortail/String of Ears
    Boots: Marrowwalk/Gore Rider/War Traveler
    Ring1: BKWB
    Ring2: BKWB/Ravenfrost
    Weapon Switch: Arm of King Leoric, Homunculous - for summoning army

Merc: Act 2 Might merc with Infinity, Fortitude, Andarial's Visage

It'd be neat if Strafe or Multi-shot was available on a unique glove, but I don't think its possible.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  12. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

Don't forget that the added damage from fanaticism is halved for everyone but the source of the aura. Also, minions have a 15 frame cooldown between attacks, which is NOT reduced by fanaticism. A faith necro could be cool with some gear switching (CtA/spirit on swithc, AoKL/whateverhead in cube for summoning and Faith as main switch) but as cool as bear necros sound, they need *some* way of increasing chance to hit to be any fun. This is best done by merc infinity, but can also be done by switching to angelic rings and amulets after summoning and transforming.

Multi-shot can spawn as charges on gloves, including rare and crafted ones. I'd probably go for either TO gloves (for the curse boost) or LoH for the massive ED to demons.

13. pharphis

pharphis IncGamers Site Pal

^eth elite polearm merc infinity is great for summoner's anyway for the huge CB and dmg, and conviction boosting cth for every single minion. Seems like the best choice and then can be coupled with beast or whatever on the necro to allow for smacking around

14. Friiser

Friiser IncGamers Member

Thanks all for the expertise and knowledge. Helvete - good thing to know in regards to Fanaticism vs minions attack/cooldown period - certainly something to consider before committing the HRs.

In any regards, I think I'll build a crossbow-based necro and see where he goes. May take a while, I'll twink him to get him going quickly. Baseline will be 20 in raise skeleton, 20 skeleton mastery, all the curses...then we'll see.

15. maareek

maareek IncGamers Member

From your original post I thought you meant you wanted a summoner holding the bow, but it sounds more like you want a bowmancer who has some skeletons which is groovy but different than a summonmancer adding fanaticism. The biggest issue being your necro won't be able to hit anything meaningful. Infinity would help massively here, since even with Angelic combo + Steel GCs hitting will be tough. I'm ignoring ITD here since your skeletons won't need any help with stuff that ITD affects anyway. Even with Infinity you'll want a little extra base AR to make use of the +~400% AR from Faith to get a decent to hit chance, but even with Faith's immense power the limit of 11 frames per attack on a crossbow will make your damage output kinda low, at least compared to what a summoner build could be doing.

Speaking of damage, I ran a comparison using a damage calculator between the (5%ED)Demon Crossbow you posted above and non-superior Gorgon and Colossus Crossbows. I assumed level 12 fanaticism, a level 83 Might merc with no plus skills, no deadly strike or critical chance and only enough stat points to meet the requirements for each weapon.

Code:
                         Damage         DPS(0IAS)  DPS(20IAS) DPS(30IAS)
    Colossus Crossbow:  961-2520 (1740)    2714      3097      3340
    Demon Crossbow:     837-1224 (1030)    2338      2338      2338
    Gorgon Crossbow:    806-2521 (1663)    2760      3192      3459
    Demon Crossbow speed is maxed out at 0IAS with slvl 12 fanaticism, the Gorgon Crossbow maxes out at 55IAS and the Colossus at 75IAS, increasing their damage advantage further if you're interested in/willing to reach those numbers. Just food for thought. In the spirit of full disclosure I wouldn't use a crossbow to make at least my first Faith since Rogue mercs can't use them and they have worse frames per attack floors than bows do (at least according to the weapon speed calc; crossbows max out at 11 frames per standard attack for all classes but bows can go down to 7(zon), 8(barb) or 9 frames for the rest, save for the necro who maxes out at 10; strafe numbers are straight up bad looking for crossbows, but that's not of much consequence), but that choice is yours.

Comparison of Bow damages using the same criteria as above.
    Code:
                     Damage        DPS(0IAS) DPS(20IAS) DPS(30IAS)
    Blade Bow:      710-1274 (992)    2063      2251      2480
    Crusader Bow:   541-1896 (1218)   2168      2338      2533
    Diamond Bow:   1063-1270 (1166)   2238      2425      2646
    Great Bow:      448-1556 (1002)   2084      2274      2505
    Shadow Bow:     584-1954 (1269)   2436      2639      2880
    Ward Bow:       707-1670 (1188)   2280      2471      2696
    What I would do for what I think you're wanting to build:

Helm: Stealskull
    Amulet: Highlord's
    Armor: Enigma
    Weapon: Faith Gorgon Crossbow (of the crossbows at least; I'd prefer a bow, as stated above)
    Belt: Arachnid's Mesh
    Gloves: Magefist
    Boots:Gore Riders
    Rings: Stone of Jordan/Ravenfrost
    Switch: CtA/Spirit

This lets me have 75% fcr on switch for teleporting/casting, along with hitting a good IAS breakpoint for the weapon and giving me the mana to cast my spells. Also gives leech and a decent amount of +skills. I value the boost in CE damage of Magefist over Trang Oul's, but that's certainly adjustable. And if you don't want to use CE (as you seem to be suggesting) then Trang's gloves seem like an obvious fit.

For the rest of the setup: I'd want a Might merc with Infinity, and charms to give res/AR/FHR, probably throwing a Shael in the helm to help that last part. If you want to carry around a summoning kit beyond that, then feel free.

16. zaphodbrx

zaphodbrx IncGamers Member

17. nulio

nulio IncGamers Member

I second the motion of not making Faith in a crossbow. That limits other uses for that RW and you are not swimming in runes.

18. Friiser

Friiser IncGamers Member

Yeah - I hadn't thought about how limiting Faith in a crossbow would be...my eyes were stuck on the Fanaticism aura. Thanks for reeling me back in, gentlemen!

Well - the base build is a summoner, as these guys are my fav in D2. I'll work in a crossbow because I want to see how it looks, but may switch to a bow based on the excellent responses from Maareek, helvete et al.

19. NoisemakerArrow

NoisemakerArrow IncGamers Member

If you're not going to teleport, use Harmony so you and your skeletons move faster.