Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Failed... again.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Module88, Jun 16, 2005.

1. Module88

Module88 Diabloii.Net Member

Failed... again.

Well, I just failed for the second time on my driving test. Not that I'm a bad driver, I just get nervous when someone stares at me- particularly the person that's going to decide whether I can drive or not. The fact that my first guy cussed and yelled at me didn't improve the situation. The first time was definitely my fault- I didn't know one of the traffic rules, and I deserved it. But after that, I guess I must have lost some of my confidence- an unsual thing. I drove 40 in a 45 mph zone and the guy failed me. Now, I'm pretty sure most of you drivers out there know that if you fail three times, you have to retake the classes, the lessons, and the six months. This is simply unacceptable. Not only would this be a giant waste of time and money, I simply don't need it. It's not that I'm a bad driver. I guess I just lost confidence after failing the first time. Now, with the third and final test coming up, I'm probably going to be more nervous than ever before. Now what the hell am I going to do? Advice anyone?

2. nrabbit

nrabbit Diabloii.Net Member

two times is not that bad. of course you shouldn't miss the third time cause as you said waste of time after that. anywho you have to get over it somehow and just do it. can't give you an advice on that one. i calm myself by smoking but if you don't smoke don't try it.
    he failed you because you were driving with 40 in a 45 limit zone???

3. rykros1987

rykros1987 Diabloii.Net Member

Take it easy and just keep your mind on the task dont worry about the person watching. If that doesnt work then I donno lol

4. Module88

His exact words. "You aren't going the speed limit." Then he had me drive back to the DMV. He also had me switch lanes, but the traffic was very heavy, and there was just enough space for my car, I think. Anyway, I told him, and he said "Tough. That's life." So I switched with barely enough room to spare. It's certainly something I wouldn't have done if I hadn't been told- I personally thought cutting it that close wasn't worth the risk of hitting another car. He claims I went 20 under the speed limit. 10 mph because of traffic, maybe. 15 below, I highly doubt. 20, no way. I go faster on MY residential street. I'm pretty sure I go faster on a business street.

5. DrunkPotHead

DrunkPotHead Diabloii.Net Member

I failed the first time, and missed the second time. Not sure if that counts as failing.

However, i can drive fairly well, my girlfriend let me drive her brand new $32,000 car with only a permit. I drove on highways, (80mph), and new york city which is way harder. And i didn't mess up the car. Except when i backed up into a little hill on a little road in the dark because the windows were fogged up :thumbsup:

6. Module88

What do you mean "missed"? Forgot to show up? Anyway, I figure, I don't break any laws, and I don't hit things, and I don't perform risky manuevers. I don't see why I shouldn't get the license. The first guy was a complete asshole, but I deserved to fail. The second guy was more polite, but he was an idiot. Wonderful.

7. DrunkPotHead

DrunkPotHead Diabloii.Net Member

Yea, the friend who was supposed to lend me his car had a test at that time, so i couldn't go.

The guy that i took the test with the first time was a complete ass****.

"Failure to anticipate potential hazard." What a bunch of BS.

That whole day, he didn't pass one person.

8. Module88

Sometimes it's total bull****. It's ridiculous. I knew I deserved to fail the first time and I had no problem with that. This time was different.

9. Nword

Nword Banned

I passed my first time, but I got a nice person and that was a good thing for me. For a few seconds I was 10 mph over since I missed a sign. I'm almost certain that was when an SUV was passing me and not keeping his spacing too nicely...

Good luck going for the 3rd time... It seems the local drivers ed place here is generally a lot nicer than average.

Edit: I don't know about where you are, but here, you have a parent/guardian sitting in the back seat while the test is being administered. I'm certain my dad would have questioned such a decision.

10. mhl12

mhl12 Diabloii.Net Member

well from general experience, if you are too nervous when taking any test that it affects the outcome, that means you need more practice or experience. Try getting some friends to stare at you while driving or something. lol

11. Amra

Amra Diabloii.Net Member

Just practice taking the text over and over again until you know you are 100% ready. You don't sound like you are at that point now.

If someone cusses and yells at you, report them to their supervisor.

Edit: Sorry I don't have better advice. Tired now.

12. Oscuro

Oscuro Diabloii.Net Site Pal

When you're out driving with your mother/father/sponsor/guardian/etc, drive around in the same area where they make you go on the test. You'll be more comfortable with the road layouts and you'll know what to look out for (intersections, signals, lanes ending, etc.). Practice driving in heavier traffic and get used to what situations your vehicle will/won't be able to merge in.

Also, maybe try to schedule your test at a time when there will be less traffic.

13. Steel_Avatar

Steel_Avatar Diabloii.Net Member

Here at least, they give you your marking sheet, whether or not you passed. Get a licensed adult (parents or uncle, someone like that). Drive around with them, and have them act as the examiner for you.

Get used to it, and you'll be okay. And if I were you, I'd put off your last shot until you are comfortable with it. Good luck :)

14. Module88

Worst part is I already did that. -_-

Good advice. My friends took it in the morning and said there was zero traffic. Both times I took it, it was pedestrians and cars galore. It was too crazy for my taste. If the cars or lights didn't stop me, the pedestrians did.

10 MPH OVER?!?!?! I went five under and failed. Holy smokes. Also, over here in Cali, it's just you and the examiner. I wish my parent could sit in the back. -_-

Didn't think about that. Good thinking.

Thanks for the tips guys.

15. LorveN

LorveN D3 Off Topic Moderator

But where is this? I never heard of such rules that you need to retake lessons if you fail 3 times, for instance, here in Sweden you can fail as many times you want. You dont even need to take classes or lessons, but it sure is a good idea.

My only guess is, that if you are too nervous you probably should drive more (and more often), just to make it an everyday habit. Sure, you perhaps do that, but (no offence) some people need to do it more to reach the same safe feeling about it. Took quite a while for me as well...
    But the more you drive, the less you actually focus on the driving. After a while, you dont think, it comes automatically.
    Just try to stay calm, and do not think about the fact that you are actually doing a test.

Also, you might have been unlucky with the driving instructors. They can differ a lot...

16. Freemason

Freemason Banned

How much is taking the test? I ask because if the DMV is failing people to make money then an investigation needs to be launched. I've heard of this happening before. Call the local TV station and give them a tip. They'd jump on it if there is anything to this. Rating anybody?

17. farting bob

farting bob Banned

Yea, i really doubt that, but then some people just like looking for conspiricies and scandels.
    Anyway, next time i suggest using a bigger bribe, oh and if you think it will help, keep practising.

18. rawrj

rawrj Diabloii.Net Member

just go to a different DMV ??? different examiner :p
    man what you need a licence for??? just dont get pulled over and when the cops are chasing you just speed off :lol:

19. nrabbit

nrabbit Diabloii.Net Member

a friend of mine failed 11 times and he is still trying to get his liscense :lol:
    anwho try a different examiner as others suggested

20. Stevinator

Stevinator Diabloii.Net Member

In IL there was no fee for taking the test. there were som examiners who were dicks, but I was pretty lucky, and i was comfortable with driving anyway. I took it before all the new regualtory gobbley-gook. I aced the written and nearly aced the driving, she hit me for 2 points for crossing a yellow line on a left turn. when we came back and she told me I was so close ot acing the whole thing I was a bit mad...but i got outta there with the DL and that's all that mattered.

if you're really nervous you're prolly failing because you're not driving well. Driving should be second nature. you shoudn't be nervous. and if oyu are a bad driver just admit it--you'll figure it out when you go out more. I wouldn't have passed with the flying colors i did if I had taken the test my first time behind the wheel--heck it took me two miles to figure out I only needed one foot! you will learn to drive. I promise. in a few years you'll be driving to class, eating breakfast and chatting on your cell phone all at once, then you'll prolly hit me. :) Just grab anyone who qualifies as a sponsor and just tool around. go the speed limit, not ten under--which really irritates me, and I would fail you. you're screwing up traffic, use the signals, and try to exude an aura of "I do this all the time". then just mind your P's and Q's.