Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Fade vs. BoS - Seriously, which one?

Discussion in 'Assassin' started by Mech-Sheep Arsenal, Feb 4, 2004.

1. Mech-Sheep Arsenal

Mech-Sheep Arsenal IncGamers Member

Fade vs. BoS - Seriously, which one?

I am very much going towards Fade, but BoS seems very appealing to me...

I'm going to be FoF/CoT Phoenix Striker...

2. Aron Figaro

Aron Figaro IncGamers Member

Well if you're going Elemental, BoS is a NECESSITY. You're naturally going to be a glass cannon unless you're twinked out the wazoo anyway. What you have to be able to do is hit and run - which is where BoS comes in. Possibly Cloak as well...I have to test that.

Yes, this means I'm working on an Elementalist now.

3. nephalim

nephalim IncGamers Member

I'm sorry I don't see why or how an elementalist needs to be a glass cannon? I think there strategies for both BOS and Fade. BOS has the advantage of not needing alot of skill points to be effective. On the other hand you would need to make a heavier investment in Fade.

Bascially, pick one and use gear to make up for the lack of the other.

Personally, I use Fade as it leave you more options in gear choice since it provides Damage reduction, resists, and curse reduction (which is amazing for melee).

As for Cloak of Shadows, I would never make an Assassin without a point in it. It simply stops all ranged attackers(Read:Black Souls, Burning Archers) and helps control meleers.

4. Crazy Person

Crazy Person Banned

because of IAS issues, I would use BoS on a melee sin. makes life easier, and you get to run fast.

5. Duncan Idaho

Duncan Idaho IncGamers Member

BoS too... you need to go fast.

My C/C in Hell has no 50+ in every res (73 in light) with only 1 +15 all res charm, but she has got a terrific equipment

6. TeKmInIbI

TeKmInIbI IncGamers Member

Id have to go with BoS also.
    I do like the bonus's from fade (as a curse cleanser) but other than that,
    BoS give's quite a bit of Ias/Frw (both very helpful) and at lvl13 your Mb is at its fastest cast rate.
    If you use fade you gotta put on some Fcr gear...
    To me that's not worth it..

TeKmInIbI

7. CiaoBoy

CiaoBoy IncGamers Member

If you want to emulate the elemental resists and the physical resists that Fade provides, all you'd need is to use a shield with 3 perfect diamonds.

If you want to emulate BoS, you'd have to wear a bunch of items with IAS and also boots with Faster Walk. This may reduce your flexibility in what items you can use.

I'd say go with BoS. Especially because you want to pump out those charge up attacks and the finishing moves as fast as you can.

Plus, if you're traveling in a party, there's bound to be a paladin that can switch to salvation aura when necessary. And you may find a lot of equipment that has resists. If you really need more resists, you can always cast Fade as a 1 point wonder, boosted up by whatever +skills you have.

-CiaoBoy

8. Beatboxer

Beatboxer Member

I've been tryin' to work this ort since I started playin' sins. These guys are generally right. BoS is just better to play with than fade most of the time. Running and attacking fast is offensive and defensie whereas resists and dam reduct is solely defensive.

It's most practical to use both. A good equiped sin will have a good number of plus skills available to her so each can be at respectable levels.

I really wanted to use fade exclusively for a few of my sin builds but BoS is just so much better, for me, to use normally.

9. wildjinn

wildjinn IncGamers Member

To add to the posted sentiment, I'm a speed freak: I love BoS and think it's one of the most amazing skills in the game. The pieces of Fade can be much more easily obtained than the bonuses conferred by BoS. PDR can be relatively easily found in gear, and resists are on almost everything.

One thing that these folks haven't mentioned yet is that if you're using Cloak of Shadows and Mind Blast profusely, you won't have to worry about getting hit very much, and Fade becomes much less useful when you use them properly...you'll be barely be getting hit.

Not to flame, but no assassin needs to be a glass cannon, IMO, especially not an elemental one. You can have considerable investments into Str, Dex, and Vit, and still be very, very viable, since your damage is mostly coming from the speed at which you release elemental charges. This build specifically, since it sounds like it's not using a kick for a finishing move (dtalon wouldn't make sense for charge releasing, and dtail is relatively useless with FoF due to the damage conversion), can have a "safe" distribution of ability points.

As a side note, don't forget crushing blow when you're going with smaller-damage, fast claws with an elemental build. Guillaume's Face, Gore Riders, and a super-fast weapon will do amazing physical damage (to non-physically resistant monsters) with crushing blow as well as cause open wounds (Gore Riders), a great addition to a speedy elemental arsenal.

10. Boooyakasha

Boooyakasha IncGamers Member

First of all, depends on what equipment you have. Achieving a 7 frame attack i.e TS charge up might be a bit hard, but 8 frame attack is easy. If you are using Phoenix Strike you might not want to attack too fast so you can get the charges you want.

At the end of the day, it is the skill points investment, people can get by with 1 point in BoS, while you will most likely want to have 20 point in Fade. You can switch around too if you decide to invest in Fade as BoS is a prequisit.

11. Kitriara

Kitriara IncGamers Member

Torn

This has been a real tough one for me, too. I'm working up a Tiger Strike/Dragon Tail build... on top of that, I'm still debating C/C or C/S! There is a lot of good advice in this thread however.

It seems Fade would work well with C/C since the res makes up for res you could get on a shield... also, I play HC and it requires a LOT of dex to get good block with shields at high levels, even ones with 75% base block! Meanwhile 10 points in claw blocking can give you a constant 50%.

20% physical damage reduction aint too shabby either for a meleer... its really a tough call, since its easier to find IAS than PDR on gear.

I hope this thread continues!

12. Lunatic

Lunatic IncGamers Member

You're forgetting the curse duration. :) With a lvl 20 Fade curses get reduced quite alot.

13. Mech-Sheep Arsenal

Mech-Sheep Arsenal IncGamers Member

I'm sticking with BoS.

1) I already got 30% DR from Nat's set. I think it's enough.

2) My resists will be top-notched, with absorbing everywhere!

3) I need the speed...