Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Fact or Fiction: It's worth it to build a char around found items. o

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Ana, May 31, 2005.

1. Ana

Ana IncGamers Member

Fact or Fiction: It's worth it to build a char around found items.

Has anyone done this? Is it done?

Let's say you're playing a sorc but the items you find are mainly for other chars. Do you start building chars around those items.

2. Dodgydave

Dodgydave IncGamers Member

Finding itmes with one character and moving them to other characters is called 'twinking' and this is what the majority of players do here at the SPF using ATMA to mule. You have one or two dedicated magic find characters and use them to outfit any other character you want to build.

Playing using only the items a character finds is refered to as playing untwinked. This is a popular style among HC players in particular. All my HC characters (which isn't a lot) have been untwinked.

Which ever way you play is up to you. ATMA makes it easy to twink items between characters if you want to go that way. It is also definitely possible to complete the game untwinked if you prefer that style of play.

3. TheNix

TheNix IncGamers Member

I started a Burazon the day I found my first Buriza, so in my case, yes.

4. phatbrava

phatbrava IncGamers Member

well its more of a case of whether you play twinked or not
    i play twinked and ill start a double claw MA sin and a WW barb soon, as ive recently completed nat's and IK sets (with my fishymancer), so yeah, i make chars around the items i find

5. Shade

Shade IncGamers Member

Well... sort of, and then sort of not.

Whilst I tend to find rather a lot of items, most of the stuff I've found has gone into my project to build some other characters to get one [MP]atriarch of each class, and then get them to the highest possible level.

So, whilst I did find a Blackbog's Sharp before starting a Daggermancer, the two events aren't that closely related. :)

If I get certain items there are other builds I might try outside of the seven 'primary' ones that I'm doing. For instance, a Windforce might convince me to try out a Bowazon...

6. Randall

Randall IncGamers Member

Yes, it's done by some.

I started a witchyzon after finding a witchwild bow. She is doing really great, specially when knowing her other gear is not that good.

Randall

7. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

It's up to the player, for instance I found a piece of trangs then traded to get more, I then built a Barb using trangs set.

Does that mean because I found trangs I built a barb around it? no it just means I found the items before building the barb.

If you find some item and build a build around it great if you find a build and look for the items for it great. it really is just the players choice.

I found the parts to make a stone armor and built an elemental druid around it, that was truely a I found the items and created the build around them. But that's rare and shouldn't be concieved as the best way to create your own builds.

8. frosty

frosty IncGamers Member

Build char after finding item? Nope

Build char then assign items to it? Yup.

Building chars around items? Definitely. My class specific set chars, my Silence bowzon and my Disciple set spearadin will attest to that.

9. Slothman

Slothman IncGamers Member

Im in the twinking camp, I found a windforce so what did I do? exit - create new character - amazon :uhhuh:
    Yet sometimes ill make a character if i think it would be fun to play it, ie. I made a tasladin and although he was twinked, I didnt have any specific items that i had planned for his use
    And also im big on reminiscent characters, I made a polearm WW barb as my first pat years ago was such a build

So I guess you could say that I only ever make a character based on items i have found only if the items are extremely rare ones :thumbsup:
    If I ever find that IK soul cage! exit - new character - barb! cant wait for that day :)

10. Liliel

Liliel IncGamers Member

Personally I'll make a character with a specific gear setup in mind, but it's not the gear I already have found that inspires me to make a build. I've started making builds that I don't even have the items for. For instance, I started making my Fireball Bard (inspired by Uzziah!) before I got Moonfall, Trang's glove and a ring with Firebolt charges (got all of those now, yay!). And I've got a Rabies/Fury/Wolf summon/Werewolf build started, that relies on Beast and Bramble runewords and Carrion Wind, neither of which I have yet.

11. Nightfish

Nightfish IncGamers Member

Yes, I think it's worth it. Depends on the char and on the items, of course. Also I play every class (and at least 7 builds for each of them, too) so it's not like I had to force myself to start a barbarian for my IK Set, for example. I'm gonna have a WWbarb so I might as well use the IK Set and kill two birds with one Stone. What matters is that the character is fun to play with the items you give him. Sure, you can give each of your sorcs the same tal rasha's set, but if you feel like using ondal's wisdom on one you can do that as well.

12. Artagas

Artagas IncGamers Member

as long as you have rather limited choices on gear (this is the case for me), i think that is the way to go. when i find something that looks valuable i start thinking about what char could use it. like when i found a high-end ribcracker and jalal's mane, i built a mauler (didn't regret it). i bumped into a HoZ and a wizardspike lately so i decided it was time for a hammerdin (just go ahead and hate me). etc. Of course if you have 10 or so items missing from your grail, and runes up to Vex or Ohm, you can easily work the other way around.

Also some of the guides are based around specific items (witchy-zon for ex.), so if you want to follow those you obviously need the gear first.

13. Slothman

Slothman IncGamers Member

I did exactly the same thing (and also found a guardian angel too) :thumbsup: he is pat'd and is lvl ** yet i must admit i tired from using him for mf running very quickly.. plus i hate aiming the bloomin hammers! (i dont struggle to do it - its just bothersom)

14. Artagas

Artagas IncGamers Member

Heh, looks like we have similar luck. I found my GA on the same day with the HoZ (yeah, a happy day that was). Though chanches are i won't use it for a hammerdin (he needs skullder's to hit decent mf).

15. Arewyn

Arewyn IncGamers Member

For me, I really can't imagine not "twinking" characters. I didn't mind at the beginning because the game was fun then, but now its all "Smash Smash, run, pick up item, Smash Smash, Smash, run, pick up more items" etc.

The only time's I tried not to twink were on characters I knew that didn't need it, i.e.; Fishymancer, Meteorb, wind dr00d. But even then I ended up making my uber wind dr00d (twinking). I guess it all comes down to personal preference.

16. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

Do whatever grants you the most fun, I say... :thumbsup:

I don´t twink myself, for two reasons:

* I don´t want to get spoiled. I want to be able to appreciate half-decent items, for all my characters, in all stages of the game. I still like Normal difficulty, after all this time. I full-clear it, and I enjoy it.

* I don´t consider myself the owner of the items my characters acquire. If Adriella the sorceress finds an item, that belongs to her and her alone. My other characters live in different 'realms/dimensions' than Adriella, and her items has no place outside her realm. (The only exception is tournaments where two or more characters are created as a team.)

17. Sir Lister of Smeg

Sir Lister of Smeg IncGamers Member

I think it can be fun in the case of set items, where the character has to wear a certain set from the moment she's able to, otherwise I don't see much value in creating a character based on a particular item.

18. Rugruth

Rugruth IncGamers Member

Well definitely there are some items out there that make some builds easier. Also some items 'enable' some normally impossible builds (like TO set for *mage char, passion for a zealer or berserk). Also some otherwise underpowered builds are possible twinking them heavily).

I think Diablo 2 (especially LOD) is a game based heavily on items, the cheesy builds using the uber gear are the ones marking the game limits. You can beat the game with less power of course, but it wont be so easy. I'm not considering MP on this thoughts.

As always, it's a matter of fun. If u find fun making a less powerful build (and gear) beat the game, go on. If not, make a MF char and twink your chessy Hammerdin! :p

19. Nacaa

Nacaa IncGamers Member

I usually build characters around recently found items, mostly because I see something on that certain item that I want to try out and therefor is a new character born :)

20. Derrick1001

Derrick1001 IncGamers Member

Me too. I found 2 wolfhowls in one day, so I think the game is trying to tell me something! :) .