Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

facets and aura damage

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Sir SDG, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Sir SDG

Sir SDG Banned

facets and aura damage

hmm just curious but doesnt the light damage mod on facets work with pysical only aka the 1-99 mod light ( or whatever its base it) Id though so but just wanted to confirm.. Ive heard the % light does add to FOh ( and pulses BTW
    IM not sure if the additional damage or the -to resist work with pulses either...(dunno for sure on any of the facet stuff since I dont play anything but pallies and wont make a FOH paladin, still got some hate from classic)

would be nice to get some clarity on it..

Id thought to take a Rune master ettin and fill it with junky light facets ive collected IF it actually work passively with pulses on dreams.

I kinda doubt anyone has tried this so im posing it here where it seems there is some knowledge about facets. thanks.

2. ExT

ExT IncGamers Member

yes it works, the +x% and the -x% both work with the aura. it even works on any +light damage scs you'd have :D

3. Lunatic

Lunatic IncGamers Member

From what I know is that only the -% resist works with elemental dmg coming from equipment / charms. the +% skill dmg only works from dmg coming from skills (go figure:D).

4. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

From what I know is that -% resist works with all attacks that do that kind of elemental dmg and that +% dmg boosts the dmg from skills and dmg from equipment/charms/(and +elemental dmg from a skill) is boosted by it when you're attacking with a melee attack. +% elemental dmg acts like Fire/Lightning Mastery and -% elemental resist acts like Cold Mastery.

5. Sir SDG

Sir SDG Banned

ok there is some conflicting posts..

anyone got a tesladin? and have facets on the char?

OK we know facets work when u strike something. that Im really not concerned with.

what Im really needing to know is if Facets are passive as well does the % bonus to damage effect ALL light damage aka pulses and does the -% to resist effect ALL resistances. passively.

AKA If I hostile a player and turn off my conviction wearing 9 light facets. (4 in armor and 5 in weap) does the -45% to resist effect them from pulses? as well as the 45% damage mod. ( id probably go with 5 facets in rune master and keep COH for skills and res)

for example. say a light sorc has facets all over and is using TS ... does the TS gain the bonuses from facet use?
    ( it would server to reason that is a passive attack and should mimic pulse attacks from auras on paladins)

6. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

They ( +% fire/cold/lightning/poison dmg, -% fire/cold/lightning/poison resist) work just like the sorc's masteries. What would you expect those to do?

7. Sir SDG

Sir SDG Banned

well I figured Id ask before I put facets on and they only work when u actively use an attack aka I wouldnt do it If I hade to zeal to get the effect..

BUt if they do work passively and with passive aura damage then yea its worth it.

If you have to stike for the %s to kick in then its not really a good thing... and yea I know they work on FOH but Foh is also an active attack....

since i dont play sorcs I dont know if they work passive with say TS for example.. wich IF they do then logically they should work with pulses.

8. Wurmer

Wurmer IncGamers Member

I can see were your confusion lies, I have made one tesladin to many and when looking at your character's screen it's not obvious to figure out how the mecanic works.

From my experience what you will see when you're using facet :

You will notice an inrease in aura damage but when looking at your zeal damage you will see your damage increase by the lighting damage coming directely from the jewels. I might be wrong on this but the increase in % to lighting skill will not translate into your zeal damage.

am I making sens ?

RTB ?

9. Sir SDG

Sir SDG Banned

ok but does the % to light skill increase aura pulse damage?

lemme explain my thought process here... on auradins like say dreamadin and torchadin where you get holy shock and holy fire from auras on items my thought was to add fire facets to my circ on the torchadin to get a lil extra loving on the pulses. and for the dreamadin I was gonna grab a rune master with 5 socks and cover it in all the junky light facets I got. to gain extra damage to the pulses. for the striking damage it really dont do much considering im already runnin conviction over lvl 25 and have max -150 to resists so lowering res even more is kinda mute point BUT if it does add to pulse damage from the items aura then well yea it could be worth it to squeeze a few on...

the torchadin is kinda stuck with only putting fire facets in a helm and honestly I wouldnt do that to a COA but where I to find a jewelers circ w resists then yea it could be a nice bonus. etc etc... basically if I stumbled on a +3 off aura circ w sockets or a res one ... but as it is I got a nice rare circ that could hold a fire facet...

but the dreamadin could really use 5 light facets on a weap IF it made the pulses all that much more nasty. aka that could be another 25% to light pulses.

basically it boils down to do the facets work passively with all forms of damage? aka a sorcs TS is a passive attack. does light facets aid that and if sho does both the - to res and the % to damage add to it? and if they both work then yes it would be advantageus to put them in a weapon and/or armor on a dreamadin.

the Further thought is IF facets do work passively with auras then a tesladin COULD cover themselves in facets and possibly make a charicter more powerful than a dreamadin. aka inventory full of OFF aura gcs totalling 10 max light res and HS now with + skill items they could get +5 more from ringsbelt and ammy and COVER the rest of themselves in facets totalling 17 facets thats -85 light res and +85% damage....

10. Wurmer

Wurmer IncGamers Member

I don't have all the answers but one thing I am sure of, Facets will increasing your aura damage. At least it works on a standard Tesladin. I was told that the + % to skill works as a mastery(like a sorcy) and should also increase the added damage to your attack but that it is not showing when looking at your zeal damage. Would be something like a lying character screen. That's what got my confuse at first since I was not seeing any increase in my zeal damage beside the damage added directly by the jewels.

My last post was not so clear I admit in fact what I said was wrong since you will gain added damage to your zeal attack from the + % to skill but won't see in your sreen.

Well Simpliest thing to do is to test it with one Facet in your gear. I don't have what it takes to do it right now. What I am saying here relies on informations that I gathered when 1.10 came out so my memories might be a bit off.

11. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

For melee attacks the LCS shows a correct damage increase when using facets (their +% elemental dmg).

Masteries boost dmg in two ways:
    1. enhancing skills with the appropiate element
    2. enhance elemental dmg from melee attacks.

Skills that add elemental dmg to a melee attack are multiplied in both steps, causing quite the dmg increase (see dual Dream sorcs with 1 - 60k Lightning dmg).

TS is a bad example for a passive skill, and it benefits from both +% lightning dmg and -% lightning resist. I do remember something about the pulse from the Holy auras not getting a benefit from -% resist, but I'm not sure whether that is true.