Facebook D3 Likes - pace of content release?

Varquynne

Diabloii.Net Member
Facebook D3 Likes - pace of content release?

Bashiok made this comment on the forums (and a similar one through @Diablo):

[BLUE="http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=27797479672&sid=3000"]Bashiok: On an average day the Diablo Facebook page gets about 4k new people who 'Like' the page. So even if that average holds steady there'd be some stuff released once a week. Hopefully though this causes a bit of a spike to get things moving.

It's 2-3 pieces per update, usually one piece of art and one screenshot.[/BLUE]

I was curious about his figure and decided to check it out. The Diablo III Facebook page debuted on November 30, 2009 - making it 435 days old. Given that they were at 540,000 'Likes' since early yesterday, that makes their lifetime average about 1240 'Likes' per day. With this average rate, we'd get the first content release in about one week and subsequent releases every 20 days. With Bashiok's estimate, we'd get the first one in 2 days and subsequent ones about every week. Granted, they're hoping this little "contest" is going to spike the number of 'Likes' they get. Has it?

It's premature to do this kind of analysis, but what the hey. Over the last 10 hours (3pm-1am PST), they've gotten about 2200 'Likes'. That puts them at pace to meet Bashiok's estimate of 3-5k 'Likes' a day. But, according to him, this was their previous pace. It hasn't seemed to pick up... yet. Hopefully, there's a delayed response or spike in this rate once people see the kind of art they're going to release (male Demon Hunter or skills, perhaps?).

Just for an added bit of comparative information, the World of Warcraft page over the last 6 hours has gotten about 800 'Likes'. Over this same time frame, Diablo III has gotten about 1000 'Likes'. The WoW page debuted at the same time, giving it a lifetime average of about 2400 'Likes' per day. It doesn't give any kind of incentive, though the install base is presumably much, much bigger.

There's 256 days until Blizzcon 2011. Think they'll reach 1 million 'Likes'? Aside from the male Demon Hunter, what else do you think they'll give us to look at?

Zeek

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Facebook D3 Likes - pace of content release?

They can suck my left...big toe. Screenshots? That's the carrot they're wagging in front of us? Not even going to bother with clicking a link for that nonsense. Full talisman disclosure would get me interested. Tell us what the deal is with the resources for the different classes. I don't care if these things aren't done yet. Tell us what they're trying out in the current in house build. Tell us something that's actually interesting. Jeez.

fmulder

Site Contributor

Blizz got me with this one. Signed up to facebook just for this.

Kaknoos

Diabloii.Net Member

well well well... those 3 pics, didn't really got me excited... the art was seen before and the 2 screenies where just casual... hope the next 25k is gonna be promising and actually shows some new stuff please.

Wirt

Diabloii.Net Member

Don't turn yourself into a click-cow. Blizzard wants to have a popular site? They should have stuff on it that attracks people, not the other way round. What an arrogance by Blizzard towards the fans.

Wirt

Zeek

Diabloii.Net Member

Don't turn yourself into a click-cow. Blizzard wants to have a popular site? They should have stuff on it that attracks people, not the other way round. What an arrogance by Blizzard towards the fans.

Wirt
Exactly. This is a terrible campaign and they deserve to not be liked as much as WoW. In fact they don't really deserve much positive support from fans at all so far. They've basically taken a dump on us for two years straight and they're telling us we should like it. D3 better be amazing Blizzard cause your fan treatment is awful.

TopHatCat64

Diabloii.Net Member

Wirt
I don't know, Wirt. You charged 50 gold just to SEE what your were selling.

Septar

Diabloii.Net Member

Exactly. This is a terrible campaign and they deserve to not be liked as much as WoW. In fact they don't really deserve much positive support from fans at all so far. They've basically taken a dump on us for two years straight and they're telling us we should like it. D3 better be amazing Blizzard cause your fan treatment is awful.
"Wah wah, Blizzard doesn't suck my dick! Terrible fan treatment!"

Blizzard doesn't have terrible fan treatment, they just have a lot of ungrateful, arrogant pricks for fans.

Zeek

Diabloii.Net Member

"Wah wah, Blizzard doesn't suck my dick! Terrible fan treatment!"

Blizzard doesn't have terrible fan treatment, they just have a lot of ungrateful, arrogant pricks for fans.
I count one in this thread. That's not "a lot" in my book.

Varquynne

Diabloii.Net Member

well well well... those 3 pics, didn't really got me excited... the art was seen before and the 2 screenies where just casual... hope the next 25k is gonna be promising and actually shows some new stuff please.
My sentiments also. Bashiok did make up for the previously seen Leoric art with the zombie wall art, though! I hope the following 25k 'Likes' proceeds at a roughly weekly pace.

Flux

Administrator

Their facebook page had aroudn 540k when they announced the "likes for looks' on the 6th. Right now, around 3.5 days later, they're up to 556,400 now. So even with the publicity of this new initiative, they're doing no more than 4k a day. Will that surge begin to ebb as time passes? Or will the added attention and new content via facebook draw more sustained interest and new likes?

Ahh, rhetorical questions. My old friend.

I'd say that 25k likes/week seems like a best case scenario. Still, even if it's 10-12 days per update that beats the hell out of the "3 new pics since Blizzcon" pace we were on until now. This project will extend for quite a while, too. Bashiok said until 1m views. That's new pics 18 times, @ 2-3 pics a batch.

Even the fact that all the screenshots seem likely to be from the blizzcon build can't entirely cool my ardor for the new eye candy. Maybe they can at least throw in some new runestone effects into the skills... though many of the effects are animations that wouldn't be real visible in a still image.

roshen

Diabloii.Net Member

That's it. Really at the end of my patience here. I understand that it takes a while for Blizz to get games to the level of quality that we expect from them, but this idiotic stringing us along is just delving to new depths of stupidity.

And I'm a moron for hankering after a game (for 3 odd years) that I STILL can't play.

And this facebook thing? Social Media Extortion?

Sorry, that fireball isn't going to fly.

Varquynne

Diabloii.Net Member

An update based on a panel at PAX East 2011 entitled "How your favorite game companies use Facebook". From G4TV's article:

Using Facebook effectively takes some getting used to. Insomniac had the idea of producing some screenshots and art specifically for distribution on Facebook, and planned on releasing it based on the number of “likes” their page received. After debating the required numbers they should set, Insomniac decided they would release each set of the five sets of content for every 2,000 likes. “We got 15,000 likes in 24 hours, and then we were totally out of assets,” Stevenson said. “It was supposed to be a two-week campaign.”
Looks like Blizzard took a few notes from Insomniac's strategy and modified their Facebook strategy for 25k 'Likes' per release of art assets. If 1,000,000 'Likes' is their target, they seem to have planned for their campaign to last approximately 18 weeks?