Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

F. Zealot vs WWolf (1hand)

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Dan334477, Mar 25, 2005.

1. Dan334477

Dan334477 IncGamers Member

F. Zealot vs WWolf (1hand)

Hey all. I need some help figuring out whether to do a fanat zealot or a WW druid. I just found a stormshield so I want to use it. They will almost surely have the same core gear (guilliams, gore riders, storm, string, + details) and a HF merc. Here's what I can come up with:

F Zealot: holy shield for added defence, easy vengeance for PI's

WW: Oak+lyc for big life boost, wolf for AR and speed, won't have to see ugly guilliam's face helm, no defence bonuses, dex needed for max block will shoot AR through the roof but at the cost of vitality, no easy means for PI's (my only baranar's is ethereal)

My thought is that they will do pretty much the same dmg since crushing blow will be doing most of the work.

My first feeling is that WW druid with that gear would be a beast. Large life, dmg, speed, AR, and dmg reduction. But what about PI's? And druids are supposed to use 2 handed weapons, like mauls right? I have a 40% CB IK maul and a 223% windhammer. I don't have a ribcracker so I can't upgrade that. Maybe I should hold off on the druid and make him with a maul later? That would lower my dex requirements a lot, freeing up space for vit. But then no stormshield!

I'm just so confused! I can't decide!

Thoughts/suggestions? PLEASE!

2. PinkeyandtheBrain

PinkeyandtheBrain Banned

Well I prefer to use Heart Of the Wolverine, For a very fast attacker it is better than in my oponon(EEK SP) OS. Bothe builds are pretty cookie cutter and easy ya know max ww.lanc.fury.how, with one pt in grizz and 10 or so in Feral rage for some rediculos LL. with Feral rage you copuld replace the SoE with a Dungos.
    With a Zealadin its fant, zeal, sac, and HS, with points thrown into redemption and salvation(mebbie one or so.)
    heh... look at me giving advice that i myself cant take...yet.
    Personally i much prefer the druid to a zelot. If using a sheild well...i dunno for a drood the upped Ribcracker is godly and a sheild isnt necary.

Hope this helps and sorry abut the horrible spelling.

3. shermo

shermo IncGamers Member

Uh, you left out one important point. What's your weapon going to be????? You mentioned a windhammer/ik maul, but those are 2-handed. I'm a little bit confused.

You seem to be leaning towards a ww. So here's some good things about the pally.

The weapon you want to use will make a big difference to which build you choose. The only thing which affects the attack speed for ww's are werewolf (the skill) and the attack speed on the weapon. This limits them to fast weapons.

Paladin's have a lot more flexability. Fanaticism and any piece of gear that has ias will affect your attack speed. This means that paladins can use almost all weapons, although some will require more work to get them to a 4fpa than others.

A few other things:

Holy-shield = huge defense. ww's always have pretty lousy defense, although they have more life. 6 of one.....

Aura's.

Vigor provides a very nice boost for getting 'round, but ww's have feral rage. So again they kind of cancel each other out.

Fanaticism will help out your merc and other players.

You mentioned vengeance for dealing with pi's. I've never used it, and prefer to rely on my merc wielding a reaper's toll.

4. DeathMaster

DeathMaster IncGamers Member

1 hand WW + high block = sucide in many situations

I'm patting my 1H ww druid right now, and I can tell you that you do not want block with this build. Shield is very nice to boost resist to top, and the "only" logic good shield (if you have one in hand) is SS. Fast block rate, is very important if you use a shield. SS is great for its PDR and +Str. But for god sack, don't spend any points in Dex unless you need it to use your gear.

I currently have about 50% chance to block, and I think it is too high.

Fury will be your main attack, so either block or missing the first swing will render your entire fury "missing" targets. You can't avoid the second cause, but you can reduce the first one.

And, there are more weapons to deal with PIs, the best is grimmershred (not too hard to find either).

5. ArchAngel Tiberrius

ArchAngel Tiberrius Banned

I am of the opinion that a Stormshield for a Paladin is much better utilised if it's planned for PvP. I would suggest utilising Herald Of Zakarum.

If you are persistant with using the Stormshield, perhaps a Wind Druid is more suitable.

Of the two choices you listed, a Zealot would be the better option.

6. nepeta

nepeta IncGamers Member

Why was that again? I vaguely remember to have read it sometime, but as this question suggests, I've forgotten :x

7. LprMan

LprMan IncGamers Member

Well, werewolves in general have really low defense, so most monsters can hit them easily. Your druid tries to block most of the attacks, and 6 frame blocking animation with Stormshield isn't very fast, at least if we compare it to a paladin who has HS active. That will result in as a block lock. And IIRC Fury is not interruptable, which makes it even worse. Exactly the same weason why im not going to use shield on a zerker barb (I did that mistake once and it was horrible :))

8. ArchAngel Tiberrius

ArchAngel Tiberrius Banned

Sadly, Alma Negra in my opinion is again much more suited to PvP.

9. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

I would definitely choose a werewolf, because of it's survivability...Oak+Grizzly+merc is a mighty shield indeed. Also AR is not going to be much of a problem, which is always nice. 2-Handed weapons is the way to go, for coolness and to avoid slow blocking...also Upgraded Ribcracker (shael'ed) is a godly and relatively easy weapon to get...IK Maul with pieces of IK set for PI's should be a viable way to deal with them..

10. Lucky_Seven

Lucky_Seven IncGamers Member

For fury you have to use a big stick (2-H), a nice and cheap combination is partial IK set:

Maul (Shael+Shael)
    Gloves
    Boots
    Belt

Big elemental damage for PI and lots of Physical damage.

...and you get all the partial bonus from set and pieces.

With Feral rage most of the time you dont need to worry about defense cause he hits hard and have lots of Life Lech.
    Shields in a WW are a waste of time and hits (see reasons in posts above :D ).

Stormshield is not the better shield for Paladins&Necros (they have specific shields), i have some Builds that depend on stormshield:

Enchantress - Passion(Zeal)+Stormshield
    winddruid.

Have fun...

11. DeathMaster

DeathMaster IncGamers Member

Block lock isn't that bad, my own druid who use SS (sadly @ 50% block, couldn't reduce it more) doesn't have problem with block lock, but, when you block, you lost fury, plus if you miss the first swing, the rest fury auto miss. High block + fury will put you in a place where you have no way out, no way to fight back, but watch your "red ball" drop.

However, concentrate with shield makes perfect combo, if you play barb.

12. Corrupted

Corrupted IncGamers Member

Imo the biggest/most important difference is the fact that Paladins does not need WIAS, like shermo said.

That allows you to utilize some elsewhere slow weapons, like Schaefer's Hammer .

13. Dan334477

Thanks all. I think I am going to wait till I get some more specific gear in my stash, then I"ll try something.

14. Sint Nikolaas

Sint Nikolaas IncGamers Member

Just wanted to note that I think Guillome's Face actually looks pretty cool and alot better then some of the helmet worn by other endgame characters..

''Mil & Sam''

15. Fafner

Fafner IncGamers Member

WW with Fury/Rabies is doable if you choose to use the Carrion wind "feature", yeah its a feature, right.

I did this with just the IK stuff and pretty much hauled through the game. Jalals mane and highlords or atma's were nice for this build (If you go w/atma's scarab you may want to consider an upp'd Hone Sundan or some other Reaper's replacement). As stated before the elemental damage from the IK Maul + pieces is enough to kill PI's.

16. Dan334477

Just to let everyone know (in case they were interested), I've decided to hold on to the SS (perhaps for a 1-hand berzerker). I don't really know what to do with it because everyone seems to agree that it's best used on a winddruid (why, I don't know). So I believe my next character will be a 2-handed WW druid.

One of the factors influencing my decision is that I don't know what 1-hand weapon I would use for either pally or druid, as my only suitable weapons are exceptional uniques.

17. NSXdreamer

NSXdreamer IncGamers Member

Butcher's pupil is pretty nice, and upgraded could be used as endgame weapon.

18. Dan334477

Good point. I have one but never thought about upgrading it. It's above average %, but I don't know if it's worth the upgrading runes.

19. Gohanman

Gohanman IncGamers Member

IMO, single most annoying thing about teh WW druid.

You are a WW, furying away (fury on left click). You get mana burned, and no longer have enough mana to fury. You left click. Mr. Druid just sits there and does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

Contrstated with a paladin.

Zealing away, zeal on left click. You get mana burned and no longer have enough mana to zeal. You left click, and your paladin sensibly does a normal attack, leeches some mana, and resumes zealing.

I think Fury is the only [attack] skill that doesn't revert to a normal attack when mana runs out. I have no idea WHY, but it's really annoying.

20. PinkeyandtheBrain

PinkeyandtheBrain Banned

You do know that you can actuall leach mana with a druis in ww form? right? all you need is a mandal heal or a cresent moon. And you can also have one slot full of mana pots cause the druid has sooo much LL that you dont need 4 slots of heals.
    btw what does IMO mean? In most Options? ireally have no clue. :confused: