Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Extremely OT- Let's talk love!

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Llathias, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Llathias

Llathias Banned

Extremely OT- Let's talk love!

I was taking a shower the other day, and thinking about all the strange and irrelevant things as one does while taking a shower. Somehow, I started thinking about the deeply philosophical concept of "finding the one"... I mean, "teh oneoneone!!!1!11!eleven!" :laugh:

Do you really believe that there is one special person, a soulmate a unique person on the world that you are supposed to be together with? If you do, then how're you supposed to find that person among billions of others? (there's an idiom in Turkish, "searching for a needle in a barn" which suits well here) Even if you do find that person, what if that person is not interested in you? What if that person is already married, or what if s/he dies a year after?

If there's actually a "one" for me, there's only a 1:100 chance for her to be in my country. It's highly probable that I'll spend my life in this country, and I'm not really interested in meeting new people when I'm on vacation. I might not ever be in the same place with that person, let alone being interested in meeting others.

The odds are extremely small for 2 random people on Earth to come across the other, meet, get contacts, have a chance to see each other in the future, share similar interests and cultural background, fall in love and be able to get together; especially if you're not in a Hollywood studio! It's like Pindle dropping a Jah and a Ber on the same run! (notice the analogy of Jah and Ber in the context of "the perfect match" :grin: )

If there is no such someone, what makes someone special? Or, what makes one person connected to another, since there are other equally lovable people out there! If noone is actually special, does that mean that one could do everything with everyone, like, telling secrets, write poems for etc?

Oorrrrr, is it all about getting the most out of the current opportunities? Finding someone to go to the movies with, to buy presents on Valentine's Day, have children etc? Like buying a computer, hugely benefiting from it but changing it for a better one when you have the opportunity?

Too many questions! :brainiac:

Now go and write a 3 page essay, using this post as a guideline!

2. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

I am thinking you will have better luck if you do this more frequently. :grin:

3. XDoomasX

XDoomasX IncGamers Member

Well odds of fining zod is not high too:wink3: And what do you do? oc you search, and after 5 years of fruitless search you realize that you had realy great time:wink3: Go date as many girls/boys as you can in your life time and it will be gg for you:wink3:
    YOu might even find Ber (not perfect partner) to keep you satisfied in the mean time:laugh:

4. FrostBurn

FrostBurn IncGamers Member

I have found many The Ones... they're called SoJs... kekekekeke.

Yuo gieb SoJ???!!!!!111

5. Llathias

Llathias Banned

I had thought that the wording could be interpreted as such. Make it "The other day, I was taking a shower and thinking..."
    Besides, it's nothing about having bad luck or anything. I'm not in love, I did not break up with my partner, I do not wish to find a partner. I think of all kinds of irrelevant things when I take a shower, from the chemical reactions on stars to the construction process of huge pipe organs.

The poll results are not public, so feel free to vote as you wish. Just don't be biased for the second option just because it has something to do with blaming Durf.

Edit: judging by how 2 of the 3 replies has solid references to D2 (the other being a nitpick!), you guys are hopeless anyway! :rolleyes:

6. GooberGrape

GooberGrape IncGamers Member

I am the Ghost Of Way Too Many Poll Choices....

oooOoOooOoooOoooooOOoOooooo....

-GG

7. JihadJesus

JihadJesus IncGamers Member

I'm not sure there's ONLY one person you can be happy with. That seems pretty absurd, given how many possibilities are out there. I just know that I've found one of the best, and I no longer care about any 'possibilities' that may still be out there.

8. DudSpud

DudSpud IncGamers Member

I have been with the same woman since 1987 - I wonder how many of the posters/voters are under 19...

Lots of people can give you the spark to start love off, but love is something that grows [insert old hag joke here].

DudSpud

9. Hp_Sauce

Hp_Sauce IncGamers Member

What did you expect man? You asked in a D2 gaming forum, we're all nerds here aren't we?

*looks around at everyone*

I hope.

I picked option 4. Who knows if it will last forever, or even be perfect forever but it is right now (I hope it will btw). What else do I need? Well, she tolerates me playing D2 and talking to you guys, so that's good!

-hps

10. tragor

tragor IncGamers Member

I believe that there are multiple people that could be "teh one!" for each of us. We just have to stay open to their arrival. Mine arrived by a chance meeting at a technical conference and we knew by the end of the first night of conversation. Unfortunately, finding teh one and finding a way to be together are two different things. She and I live in different countries. We remain apart, but when we do see each other, the months vanish like mist.

I'm happily single, now. Somedays I wish she could be with me, but I know better and I don't dwell on it. I'm not hunting for my soulmate because I already found her. Maybe someday it will work. In the meantime, I just live the best life I can and enjoy each moment (that's something she taught me).

You can't let the quest for teh one rule your life.
    And you have to accept that you may find him or her and it just may not work out as you hope.

11. Deaddave

Deaddave IncGamers Member

im a total noob (at d2 and when it comes to love) so ignore my opions if you want. personaly i think that searching for the one is a bad idea you mite end up missing great experinces(spl) and may even miss the 'one'. but you shouldnt just settle for anyone. you should just try to find a person who special to you and they feel the same way back to you.

anyway it dosnt matter what i say because im way to shy to ask girls out lol and theres not much chance of a girl asking me out......

12. FrostBurn

FrostBurn IncGamers Member

'ere! 'Oo you callin' a nerd???

SoJ? SOJ!! SoJ!!! S0J!!111

OMG SoJ!!!!!!!!!!!!1337

13. zarfen

zarfen IncGamers Member

:cloud9:
    I love my soj.. err girl, and I also believe love is making someone special :smiley:

I usually am very shy and start to sweat when I engage a cute/interesting girl I've layed my eyes on, luckily, the lady im with now and I started out as friends, and I know for a fact that before we hooked up in this special way, she wrote in her dairy that I was a geek :p

And word for DD(dead dave, not dare devil, even though they might get mixed up alot) for this: you should just try to find a person who special to you and they feel the same way back to you.

If there is a 'one' for everyone, how can you know? If someone feels right, go for it, and above all do not care about what other people think love is a personal thing.

And yes, im a nerd [ ]<-- insert a smiley with neardy glasses

~Peaceout

14. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

I feel like I have wandered into a Mills & Boon novel.
    Edit: Can someone explain Noodle's post while directing me to the Bar, please?

15. Noodle

Noodle Moderator

I love lamp. I love lamp!

- Noodle

16. Friiser

Friiser IncGamers Member

I don't know what we're yelling about!!!

17. nebux

nebux IncGamers Member

voted for 8. i like to just have fun t this moment in my life.
    hey nerds, let's all move to b-net and sell those SOJ's, to kill Uber Diablo.

i just wait for Toppo response here

18. Arreat_mercenary

Arreat_mercenary IncGamers Member

I think that a quote from Mexico may fit "Do not search for someone to love, search for someone whom loves you"

"The one" may exist or not, but there's no need to believe and/or wait for it, you'll never know beforehand whom is it; you gotta try.

Yes, sometimes love hurts, a lot. Yes, sometimes you can be betrayed, but that's how life is, is a lot better being with someone and having fond memories of a great relationship, than not having any memories at all. Through trying with different people, you find that "special" one

19. Toppo

Toppo IncGamers Member

You thought I'd come up with something nasty. You're sooo wrong.

I've already found that special one. Her name is Mrs. Hand. She has five lovely daughters.

20. Noodle

Noodle Moderator

Brian Fantana: I think I was in love once.
    Ron Burgundy: Really? What was her name?
    Brian Fantana: I don't remember.
    Ron Burgundy: That's not a good start, but keep going...
    Brian Fantana: She was Brazilian, or Chinese, or something weird. I met her in the bathroom of a K-Mart and we made out for hours. Then we parted ways, never to see each other again.
    Ron Burgundy: I'm pretty sure that's not love.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Brick Tamland: I love... carpet.
    [pause]
    Brick Tamland: I love... desk.
    Ron Burgundy: Brick, are you just looking at things in the office and saying that you love them?
    Brick Tamland: I love lamp.
    Ron Burgundy: Do you really love the lamp, or are you just saying it because you saw it?
    Brick Tamland: I love lamp. I love lamp!

- Noodle