Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Extra experience in multiplayer?

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by mihaelre, May 6, 2008.

1. mihaelre

mihaelre IncGamers Member

Extra experience in multiplayer?

Hello,

I've read at Arreat Summit that the more players are in the game, the more experience and health the monsters have and give. But, when my cousin and I started playing in a LAN over TCP/IP in D2 in a party co-op mode, I didn't see that monsters give more experience or have more life, though there were two players now in a game. We were even on the same area. So, does LAN play over TCP/IP even counts as multiplayer :tongue:? Maybe that's why it didn't work.

The formula for monsters' life: Life = Hit Points * Number of Players in the Game

The formula for XP: Experience = X * (n + 1) / 2, where X = base experience and n = number of players in the game

(these were copy-pasted from Arreat Summit)

PS.
    Experience sharing in a party works fine, but extra xp and life don't. When we are in a party and when we are close to each other we share xp, and monsters give 35% more xp than usual (as stated at Arreat Summit). But when we're not close to each other, I get only base xp like I was playing in single player (and I don't get the impression that monsters have more life, either). I believe that those xp additions should be cumulative, that is, if there are two players which are also in a party, and if Fallen gives 18 xp in a single player game, he should now give 18*(2+1)/2 = 27 xp, and + 35%, because we are close = 36 xp, but since we are in a party, because of xp share, my cousin and I each get 36/2 = 18 xp. I my case, looks like the game skips this: 18*(2+1)/2 = 27 and only adds +35% to 18, not 27, so we both get only 12 xp.
    Why is that?

I hope I didn't complicate things very much! :smiley:
    I have v1.11b.

Thanks,
    Regards!

2. Spoochie

Spoochie IncGamers Member

Re: Extra experience in multiplayer?

typ: /players 8

3. Vespar

Vespar IncGamers Member

You definitely get more experience. Recently my wife and I decided to make a public game that drew in five other players and we were getting much much more experience.

The only downside is someone decided to rush ahead to the act bosses and took the loot they dropped and not only that made it so we couldn't complete those quests in our game.

It was really frustrating since we were getting close to mephisto and this one guy jumped ahead and killed him.

4. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

The /players command works in Single Player and in MP over LAN or TCP/IP.

It does not work on Open or Closed Bnet. For that you need additional players in game.

You will certainly get more xp if you use /players 8. Be aware that it may take a screen or two before you come up against the monsters who spawned at the higher difficulty. But you will come up against them.

5. mihaelre

mihaelre IncGamers Member

Hi,

I figured out why it didn't work. It didn't work because these monsters' xp and life enhancements occur when the monsters are CREATED. What happened in my case is that I hosted a game, went into Blood Moor while my cousin didn't join yet. So, monsters were created while there was only one player (me). So when he joined, it didn't matter that now there are two players, because those monsters were already created to have life and give xp for one player. Only new monsters that haven't yet been created are going to have life and give xp according to current number of players, which is two now.
    So, the best thing to do is to wait in town for all players to join and then venture forth into areas, because monsters in a specific area are created only when you enter the specific area. It is also best to type "/players x" while still being in town.

Thank you guys,
    Regards!