Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Explosive found in French railway bed

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Freemason, Mar 24, 2004.

1. Freemason

Freemason Banned

Explosive found in French railway bed

Explosive Found in French Railway Bed
    Mar 24, 11:43 AM (ET)

PARIS (AP) - A French railroad worker found an explosive device buried in the bed of a railway line heading from France to Switzerland on Wednesday, the Interior Ministry said.

Bomb disposal experts neutralized the device, which was half-buried under a track in the village of Montieramey, on a train line heading from Paris to Basel, Switzerland, the ministry said in a statement. It was discovered shortly after noon.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility.
    The Interior Ministry said the device did not resemble bombs described in threats by a mysterious and previously unknown group calling itself AZF.
    The group claimed to have planted nine bombs along the country's rail network and has threatened to explode them unless it is paid millions of dollars.

The group's threats, first disclosed in early March, appeared in at least three letters sent to the offices of President Jacques Chirac and Interior Minister Nicolas Sarkozy on Dec. 10, Feb. 13 and 17.

The letters, demanding $5.2 million threatened railway targets.
    Information from the group led to the recovery Feb. 21 of a sophisticated explosive device buried in tracks near Limoges in central France.

We're starting to see the result of the Madrid bombing. The failure to stand up to terror is creating an enviroment where the terrorists know they can operate without fear of retribution. One can only hope that when the French are attacked, they don't have a large loss of life.

2. Carnage-DVS

Carnage-DVS IncGamers Member

Nice assumption. No real facts behind any of it. Wouldn't have it any other way Smeg.

3. Freemason

Freemason Banned

A sophisicated bomb on train tracks
    A credible threat against France
    A successful attack on trains in Spain
    A systematic refusal by the French to assist killing terrorists

Those four elements lead me to believe France is going to be attacked in a similar manner to Madrid. Even though I detest the French for their weakness, I do not wish for them to lose lives due to terrorism. I truely and sincerely hope they see what is coming and do everything to prevent it. And then maybe, they will come to see that you cannot hide from the terrorists.

4. Johnny

Johnny Banned

Ah yes.

mayby France should send troops to the Iraqe meatgrinder and then terrorist attacks will stop?

Or mayby they should attack a country of thier own.

mayby Norway they have plenty of oil.

5. Drosselmeier

Drosselmeier IncGamers Member

The exact same thing happened a few weeks ago, before the Madrid bombing, so this probably has nothing to do with the spanish pulling out of Iraq.

EDIT: By "the exact same thing" I mean not the exact same thing. A bomb threat was delivered saying that someone had placed ten or so bombs around the french railway system. The police found a couple of them... two or three I think.

6. Freemason

Freemason Banned

The previous bomb threat was done so clumsily that it could only have been there to see how the French would react. How they would go about searching. What mistakes they make.

Now there's been another bomb found. I have no idea if it was another test or an actual attempt. Either way, where is the outrage and demands for something to be done? It's not making the English speaking news and my French is atrocious.

I would think that with their terror level being elevated they would be up in arms over this. If I'm wrong and overlooked a story, please link to it. I'm trying to give the French the benefit of doubt right now in the hopes they have the will to protect themselves.

7. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

damn Norway...

and as far as people reacting to this in english speaking news, this has no links to any known terrorists, just some upstart group, and they are extorting money, unless it's SMERSH nobody will pay much attention as long as the bombs don't explode

8. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

Hey everyone! It's a killing spree! Everyone jump on the train, we're gonna go collect terrorist ears! :jig:

9. Carnage-DVS

Sometimes I wonder why Smeg hasn't gone to Iraq to collect himself some terrorist trophies yet. Or Palestine. Or hunted some people where he lives and called them terrorsists because they disagree with him.

10. Freemason

Freemason Banned

You've made it abundantly clear you have no idea just how violent the world is. You seriously need to get your head screwed on straight. If you don't, and you run your mouth like that to somebody who thinks along the same lines as I do, and you're liable to wind up getting yourself severely beaten or killed. Think before you speak.

11. Suicidal Zebra

Suicidal Zebra IncGamers Member

Cripes Carnage, I know you don't like him, but you really need to tone down on the Smeg baiting. Its getting a bit silly when you ask why he hasn't attempted to commited murder yet, based upon his opinions.

/nosey forumite

12. Carnage-DVS

I beg to differ. I've been around my share of violence. My entire family and I were involved in a drive by shooting when we lived in Pakistan. We were also robbed at home by armed men in the middle of the night. Not to mention my cousin getting killed by his friend who then committed suicide. I'm not as naive as you think I am.

ANd you're right I need to control myself. Just let him get to me. Will try not to let that happen again.

13. Plum

Plum IncGamers Member

Smeg, that's some pretty heavy assuming you've got going on. The concept of bombing a train isn't at all new, and that seems to be the primary link between the attempt in France and the attack in Spain. Beyond that, the method of bombing is different. I'm failing to see a very significant link between the Madrid case and this.

14. masterazn

masterazn Banned

I love you too

15. Freemason

Freemason Banned

Perhaps. But I don't believe in coincidences. Not when too many things are coming together.

Remember right after 9-11 and all the wailing and screaming and gnashing of the teeth demanding to know about connecting the dots? Am I the only one here who is willing to put two and two together?

16. masterazn

masterazn Banned

Apparently, yes.

17. Freemason

Freemason Banned

If I'm right, then don't go off crying about the loss of life then.

18. Plum

Plum IncGamers Member

It's not really about whether you're right or not though. The French have obviously faced terrorist attacks; it's a question of if they will be hit. Whether there's a connection between that and their current policy can be argued either way.

19. masterazn

masterazn Banned

Exactly. They might or might not be attacked, and it might or might not be related to the attack in Spain. There's not evidence here that can link the two together firmly.

20. publius

publius IncGamers Member

Keep in mind Europe, including France, has seen more terrorist attacks than the United States has in the last thirty years. This isn't exactly new to them.