Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Experts: Why Meteor and not Firewall?

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by azeker1, Mar 10, 2005.

1. Fearoth

Fearoth Diabloii.Net Member

12k meteor? Sorcs are doing in excess of 15k FIREBALL now, its more like 30k meteor :).

2. lonnie913

lonnie913 Diabloii.Net Member

i did say it was my mf sorceress. yeah damage can definitely skyrocket with the right gear (usually used by pvp fire sorceresses) like eschutas, ormus robes, magefist, lots of skillers, facets etc etc. and of course those 12k fireball sorceresses often max firebolt too.

3. Liliel

Liliel Diabloii.Net Member

Can someone provide some calculations to say that Meteor does more damage in 3.6 seconds (from moment of impact) than Firewall? By my calculations, Firewall wins out or comes close regardless of +skills. Are you using +Meteor gear or something?

If you think Firewall damage is low, you're thinking wrong. Full Firewall damage can easily exceed 30k with decent gear.

4. sasja

sasja Diabloii.Net Member

A quick example with no FM and +skills, which are assumed to count equally. Let's look at 4 seconds. The level 20 Firewall does 1296 damage per second.

Code:
    0         1         2         3         4

Firewall      Firewall      Firewall (first Firewall is extinguished at 3.6 sec)

i.e. 1.4 seconds with 1296 dam/sec, 1.4 with 2*1296 dam/sec, 0.8 sec with 3*1296 and 0.4 secs with 2*1296.

Total damage 9072

Now take Meteor/Fireball combo. The level 20 Meteor does 987 impact damage, but with level 20 Fireball this becomes 1974 (20*5% = 100%). There is a burning damage of 277 damage per second (3% extra from one point in Inferno). The level 20 Fireballs do 243 damage, but with level 20 Meteor, it's 923. The burning damage lasts for a long time - at least the 4 seconds we're looking at. Assume that you have enough fcr for four Fireballs between Meteors (I think that's what most Meteorbs have):

Code:
    0           1           2           3           4

M1 FB FB FB FB M2 FB FB FB FB M2 FB FB FB FB M2 FB

(The M's signify impact of the Meteors in question)
    Burning damage is 1.2*277 + 1.2*2*277 + 1.2*3*277 + 0.4*4*277 = 2438
    Impact damage is 4*1974 = 7896
    Fireball damage is 13 * 923 = 11999

Total damage 22333

5. Liliel

Liliel Diabloii.Net Member

You cannot factor in Fireball damage, unless you want to factor in an equally powerful Fireball as the secondary attack for Firewall. I meant to compare a single Meteor in 3.6 seconds (from moment of impact) compared to a single Firewall.

6. Lunatic

Lunatic Diabloii.Net Member

Well the thing is , you are maxing fireball next ro meteor aswell. So why not factor it in? The whole point of using firewall (it's still a nice fire skill IMHO) is to save points for a dual or tri elemental sorc. Points that for a pure fire sorc , or a meteorb aren't really needed.

7. wise_man

wise_man Diabloii.Net Member

Conclusion

I think that for conclusion, everyone would agree to the statement that if you have about 30-40 points to spend on the fire tree, FW wins, and if you have more then 40 points, Meteor wins.

Now it's your choice to decide how much points you wish to invest in fire damage, according to the build of your choice.

8. sasja

sasja Diabloii.Net Member

If you're not planning on getting Fireball, don't get Meteor. It's very simple: If you have 60 points to spend in the Fire tree, get Meteor and Fireball. If you only have 40, get Firewall. But know that Meteor+Fireball >> Firewall.

9. Dinkytoy

Dinkytoy Diabloii.Net Member

yea, i tend to use fireball more than meteor with my meteorb sorc.

but for a build that uses firewall, maybe glacial spike with synergy is better than frozen orb ? Easier to keep firewall on frozen enemies.

or even use the act 3 cold merc to keep them stationary.

10. azeker1

azeker1 Diabloii.Net Member

Much Obliged

Thanks for the excellent discussion, everyone. It really helps. You see, I have been playing this game pretty much since it came out (off and on) but I don't ever build the uber-level characters that some people do. Way back when, I finished Hell with my original character (a Bowazon) and I still have her. She is my highest level character but she is only 65th level. I guess I get bored easily, so I try new builds pretty regularly. :)

Anyway, knowing that about myself, it looks Firewall is the way to go for a lower level build and Meteor + Fireball for a higher level build. Since I want this particular Sorc to be a decent MFer, however, I suppose I should plan to level her pretty high so I can get some decent items. So for this particular char, I guess Meteorb is the way to go.

Thanks again for all of your insights. I knew you would have the info. I needed. You people are the best!

11. k/t

k/t Banned

Well, this discussion ended before I could say anything, but I got here just in time to take the credit...yes, yes we are. Anytime. Just ask.

12. wise_man

wise_man Diabloii.Net Member

Since FireWall is usually used a a secondary attack, most enemies you'll need to attack with it would be CI, so Glacial won't help there...

13. StefChri

StefChri Diabloii.Net Member

I´m playing a Orb/Firewall Sorc und it works pretty good.
    I use her for MF Mephisto runs. Mephisto stands still most of the time and my Lvl 29FW with mastery kills him in just a few seconds.
    If it has to be faster some orbs between the firewalls.

In average I can finish the whole MF run on mephi in about 2 minutes including buying fresh bottles identify items and tele to mephi.

Perhaps this helps.