Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Experimental tourney idea.

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by TheNix, May 29, 2005.

1. TheNix

TheNix IncGamers Member

Experimental tourney idea.

Before we start - no flaming please, I burn easily. :D I know we have a good number a tournaments going around at the moment so another would be as welcome as a fart in a spacesuit. I've noticed that tournaments have a number of rules so that the game is played on a level playing field, but the most obvious one never seem to get a mention. Using the -seed command so that everyone is playing the same map. Before all the purists have a collective apoplexy, I have my reasons for saying this. Research. Lots of words have been written about this command and how it affects the game, but I don't know whether people have ever done much actual gameplay. Given that this is hardly a scientific study, the reason to try this is are threefold.

1. Given the same initial seed how does the gameplay vary with different characters and style of play?

2. Will dupes appear?

3. Will the monster drops show the same varity of items as they would if different seeds were being played?

If all the green and gold items are kept in a separate stash, they can be taken out and compared from time to time so that points 2 & 3 can be discussed. The initial seed can be supplied by an independant non-participant and the first person to beat that difficulty has the honour of supplying the seed for the next difficulty level.

Comments? Sugestions? Flames?

2. FodderCannoned

FodderCannoned IncGamers Member

I think that would be a great idea, to pick a map seed at random, and have everyone run it, its different then setting a map seed, because its still chosen at random, just instead of diablo2 choosing the random map seed we get to choose it so everyone gets the same random map seed, that "might" give us enough data to determine if map seed really affects monster drops. and it would be something that i would be interested in participating in.

I say though we should just choose one hell boss, say baal, or even pindle, since map seed doesn't affect quickness of pindle, and then we can really see if everyone gets the same drops, I think someone that isn't participating should choose the random seed though so it isn't biased in anyway, or even better a random number generator should be written, which i could do in all of 5 minutes.

3. Feceset

Feceset IncGamers Member

That sounds like a good idea.

I'd like to join in on that tourney, but with summer vacation coming, and my report card coming soon, I don't know if I'll have time/be able to. The same thing happened around the time of the 'Rare Pleasure Tourney,' which really bummed me out, 'cause I liked that idea very much.

4. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

The first monster you will kill, the different items will start to drop. Only the map will be the same.

5. TheNix

TheNix IncGamers Member

The fact that things will change is beyond dispute, it is the magnitude of the change that would be interesting. It is the "different items will start to drop" statement that may be able to be tested. I know that statistically the sample size will not be enough to prove anything either way, but I believe the results would be interesting nonetheless.

6. azn_apocalypse

azn_apocalypse IncGamers Member

I think it would be interesting as well...I might partcipate

7. Nacaa

Nacaa IncGamers Member

If I remember correctly, if you use the seed command there will be ALOT of monsters. And by ALOT I mean the whole screen will be crowded. Or was that just when using the seed command from the start meny? Hmm...

As a fart in a spacesuit? :) Nice. However, do things smell in outer space?

8. Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane IncGamers Member

Within the air-filled confines of the suit, yes ;)

9. Nacaa

Nacaa IncGamers Member

Ah yea. Forgot about that. :) I guess there are a few things you don't wanna do in there then.

10. somethingsin

somethingsin IncGamers Member

I recall they fixed the -seed command in 1.10, so it doesn't spawn hordes of monsters anymore

11. TheNix

TheNix IncGamers Member

You get me wrong Nacaa, you only use the seed command to set the seed to the appointed one, so that everyone is playing the same one. "Welcome as a fart in a spacesuit" is a Billy Connolly line.