Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Experienced Sorcs: How to choose a build???

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by azeker1, Mar 23, 2005.

1. azeker1

azeker1 Diabloii.Net Member

Experienced Sorcs: How to choose a build???

I have been pouring over the sorceress build guides on this forum and they all seem very compelling so I am torn about which build to try.

My plan is to make an untwinked 2-element sorc in SC ladder. She should be able to solo the game through Hell - with just the items she finds along the way (if that is possible). Eventually, it would be nice if she became a moderately competent MFer (if she finds any decent MF gear), but I'd like to have fun (and not die constantly for the first 30 levels) getting her there. I don't care about PVP and I seriously doubt I'll have time to level her into the 90s, though the 70s are probably realistic and perhaps even into the 80s.

Given that, which is best? How do I choose? I am considering three builds...
    (1) MeteOrb
    (2) Blizzard-Firewall
    (3) Blizzard-Fireball
    (4) Chain Lightning/Frozen Orb

Of course, the guide-writers have good justifications for their builds and all have their adherents. To me, they all seem viable, but I am wondering if there are some obvious advantages or disadvantages of one build versus another that I may be missing.

My question is this: Has anyone tried all of them? If so, what do you recommend? What are the relative merits/demerits of each? Are there any particular frustrations with one build over the others? I will be extremely grateful for anyone who can share their experiences with two or more of these builds.

Edit: added CL/FO build

2. CookiesnCream

CookiesnCream Diabloii.Net Member

I would recommend the Metoer-orb or pure Blizzard for mfing. The problem with Blizzard-fireball, is that both of those require a large amount of synergies in order for them both to reach high levels of damage.

3. sasja

sasja Diabloii.Net Member

Meteorb
    I think this is the strongest two element build. You have the Meteor/Fireball combination - two attacks that work perfectly together and add synergy to eachother. Orb is the only attack in the sorc's arsenal which is effective in Hell with just ~30 points (Firewall is no 2 in costeffective attacks, but it does need 40 points). She's very all-round, solo and groups, mf, questing, you name it. On the other hand, this is the most cookie cutter build in the game, so if you wanna try something a little more unique, look elsewhere.

Blizzard-Firewall
    A strong choice as well, though I find that Blizzard suffers some for the lack of synergies. Firewall takes some getting used to (Meteor does too, but you'll have Fireballs to cover your mistakes).

Blizzard-Fireball
    Both these attacks are synergy heavy, so you'll have to compromise quite a bit. They can be used in tandem, like the Fireballs/Meteor for the Meteorb. But about half the monsters in Hell are immune to one or the other, so you'll only have one attack to take them out. I have most fun with this build when soloing.

Chain Lightning/Frozen Orb
    This is a solo build, but a lot of fun! If you're soloing try this. She won't be really useful as an mf'er except area mf'ing, as lightning is best against mobs.

These are my own experiences, others can of course have different views :)

4. Liliel

Liliel Diabloii.Net Member

It is possible to get Blizz-FBall builds with decent damage. Granted, neither the Blizzard nor the Fireball will be of the kind of damages you get in pure Blizzard or Meteorb builds respectively, but it gets the job done.

Anyways, they are all viable builds, so it's really just a matter of which skills you think you'll feel more comfortable with, what areas you intend to take her through often, and perhaps what gear you at your disposal.

1. Meteorb
    pro- dead easy to find guides and advice for, two very easy to use skills in FO and FB, and a very powerful attack in Meteor
    con- well, CI/FI is a disturbingly common occurance, Meteor can be tough to use on a moving target obviously, and... uhh... it's incredibly popular? (some consider that a con, lol)

2. Blizz-Wall (personally favored)
    pro- Blizzard and Firewall both spawn instantaneously on the spot instead of having to travel there like a projectile, both do serious damage, it's little more balanced in its elements, GS/IB complements FW well.
    con- both main attacks are timered, Glacial Spike is low damage but faster and freezes groups, Ice Blast has high enough damage to be useful but is slow and only hits one target, FW takes some getting used to and you may find it just doesn't suit you're playing style, and again CI/FI is a bit common...

3. Blizz-Ball
    pro- decent damage, easily usable skills that are very complementary
    con- damage isn't as high as some of the other builds, skill points are tight, immunity problems again, more gear dependent?

4. CL-FO (haven't got as much experience with this one)
    pro- less trouble with immunities, attacks meant for killing groups, looks pretty ^_^
    con- more gear dependent, high variation in damage

5. azeker1

azeker1 Diabloii.Net Member

Thanks!

Wow! I appreciate the insights. This is very helpful.

sasja, I am particularly concerned about getting used to Meteor as the impact delay seems to cause me some trouble. Firewall's instant appearance seems easier for me to manage. Is the trick with Meteor to lead the target effectively or try to stop the critters and then drop the bomb? Or is it some of both? I wasn't thinking about the advantage of having Fireball to cover my Meteor mistakes, however. Since a Firewall build doesn't need/use any other fire skills to speak of, this seems like a big advantage for any Meteor/Fireball build, despite the extra point cost.

Liliel, you mention the frequency of CI/FI monsters. You seem to be suggesting this pair of immunities is more common than either LI/FI or LI/CI -- is that correct? If so that seems like a point in favor of the CL/FO build, but sasja's points about its weaker MF'ing ability make it somewhat less appealing than the others.

Also, how do y'all handle any dual-element immune monsters that happen to spawn with immunities in both of your chosen trees? Do you just have to wait until your Merc takes them out??? That has got to be painfully slow in Hell...

6. sasja

sasja Diabloii.Net Member

For me, I'd say the trick is to make them come to a complete stop and pelt them with Fireballs while dropping Meteors. Tele right next to them to position your merc, run a few steps back and drop your Meteors right on your merc's head.

Yes, the Meteorb's fire attacks are far more powerful than Firewall alone can ever be - but The Blizzard/Firewall build's primary attack should be Blizzard, so that's a little unfair. Still, in my experience FO > Firewall as a backup and Meteor/Fireball > partly synergised Blizzard.

7. GrumpySmurf

GrumpySmurf Diabloii.Net Member

I posted about my blizzard sorc here:

http://forums.diabloii.net/showpost.php?p=4113883&postcount=14

Based on a build in the high level character guide from gamefaqs. I plan to eventually try a Fire and Lightning sorc as well. Got the blizzard sorc to 86 which is about 6 levels past "done" for the build. Great for MF, awesome for exp Baal runs.

8. CoriolisEffect

CoriolisEffect Diabloii.Net Member

blizzard/fb is cool, u can start putting pts into synergies sooner, and have spells that actually can kill things befor you get to 24/30. i'd pick this one..... but i already was stupid and made a FO/TK sorc in hardcore -_- its a long wait to level 30 sometimes..

9. Nirlem

Nirlem Diabloii.Net Member

i have played all of the sorces you are considering.

Meteorb
    Pros: Easy to play even untwinked, spammable fireball on left click. hardly ever use meteor outside of baalruns/cows.If you find a dual immune you cant kill, you still have static/telekinesis to take it down to 50% life and then keep it from attacking merc to much. great MF:er.
    Cons: Lots of cold/fire immunes in hell, and takes alot of switcing skills to kill all on screen.

CL/ORB (personal favorite)
    Pros: Autotarget spammable main attack in chainlightning, not as much immunes as for other builds, pretty looking, cool factor 100%.
    Cons: Gear dependent if you want it to work as good as a Meteorb, harder to reach FCR breakpoints, highmana costs, low minimum damage.

Blizzard/firewall
    Pros: High damage spells, static/telekinesis for immunes
    Cons: Timered spells hard to kill cold immunes unless your merc can keep the opponents still,

Blizzard/fireball (whats not to like?)
    Pros:High damage, easy acces to both main skills (left/right click), static/telekinesis for immunes, blizzard deals insane amounts of damage even without full synergies,easy to play untwinked.
    Cons: Timered cold tree (sometimes misses) ,higher mana costs, only one area of effect skill compared to meteorbs 2,

So in conclusion:
    Meteorb easiest for the new player
    Blizzard/fireball for the new player that wants more damage over easy to play
    Blizzard/firewall sure if you have a strong merc
    CL/ORB only after you have found some items.

10. AnimeCraze

AnimeCraze Diabloii.Net Member

I agree. There are many people who said meteorb is hard to play because they don't spam fireballs, though. Meteorb also works great on meph, especially when you have Tal's orb. Orb-FB-FB-Orb-FB-FB = dead meph.

11. sorceressgod

sorceressgod Banned

well if you want to solo hell as in like single player..

you can either get a..

- meteorb sorc
    - fireball/orb sorc
    - charged-bolts/orb sorc(c-bolts does mad damage at high lvls though)
    - or a pure lite sorc with a powerful merc, most major monters in hell that u have to kill aren't lite immuned, except for monsters that are in your way like souls, etc.