Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Expelled movie basis.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by IntellectSucks, Apr 23, 2008.

1. IntellectSucks

IntellectSucks IncGamers Member

Expelled movie basis.

I haven't seen this movie but I have read quite a few differing reviews for it. Has anyone here seen it and if so what was your take on it? Was it a pro-creationism, anti science propoganda piece or was it a documentary that brought up a valid question about the suppression of ideas in the education system?

Please do not comment if you have not seen the movie. Neither I nor anyone else who is reading this topic is interested in your impression on someone elses impressions.

2. TjejKast

TjejKast Banned

Re: Expelled movie basis.

Oh I'm very interested in SD's opinion. And I don't care if he's seen it or not.

3. ragnar_ii

ragnar_ii IncGamers Member

But thats all your going to end up with from this thread. Your impression on others impression.

4. buttershug

buttershug IncGamers Member

Who was it that was expelled from the lineup for a screening of expelled?
    I'm not sure if I read about him in this forum or found his blog somewhere else.

He was laughing after being told he wasn't going to be let in to see the movie. The reason he was laughing was because they let his wife in with their friends. The friends being Richard Dawkins and his wife.

5. Carino

Carino IncGamers Member

PZ Myers or something.

6. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

Asking for only a very specific type of response is a good way of getting all sorts of other replies. And if only people who had seen the film replied, this thread would very likely reach the second page, and thus essentially cease to exist, before any of them found it. It may be in your best interests to welcome all replies for this reason.

This is the creationist movie that Ben Stein narrates, though, right?

7. johnnyd

johnnyd IncGamers Member

I want to see it, at least it's slightly different then the re-hashing of old arguments made by creationists (and ID proponents... same thing in my book).

Suggesting that 'big science' won't allow God in their curriculum is correct, however it's for a good reason. The same reason we don't let astrology be taught: it's not science. Allowing ID to be taught in a science classroom would mean re-defining science, and would open the floodgates for all types of ridiculous ideas into the classroom.

Teach it in philosophy, world religions, whatever... I support the teaching of it, just not as science.

8. whitey

whitey IncGamers Member

I talked to a guy that saw it and my impressions about it from the commercials seemed to be right. Ben tries to disprove the theory of evolution and does it in a completely @#!% way. First off for those who don't "believe" in evolution there is nothing to believe in. It is a fact. Scientists, through selective breeding, were able to create a completely new species of drosophila fly in a mere 16 generations. If you don't think this is evolution you need to go reread on it because this most certainly is. Not to mention we can also see it at work in nature with the marine iguanas in which some are starting to get webbing in their feet.

Now on to the actual basis of this movie which is kind of like the whole big bang thing. Trying to disprove evolution on a macro scale is like trying to disprove the existence of a god...you can't do it, period. There will always be some level of belief in either god or macro evolution, whichever you "believe" in and however much evidence you see for either. For someone to say the big bang theory or evolution is absurd is kidding himself. We know for a fact the universe is expanding. If you connect the dots in reverse you end up at a singularity with everything we know contained within it. If you do the same with evolution you end up with one or a handful of absolute ancestors. This movie is a waste of money and time.

9. ModeratelyConfused

ModeratelyConfused Banned

From the reviews I've seen on the web, Darwin's (and others) quotes have been selectively edited, people were told they were appearing on a different documentary, and on and on and on.

Oh yeah, and this bit is just because you're trying to be an asshat dictating who shall post in your thread.

10. Carino

Carino IncGamers Member

If you tell people to not post that gives them more reason to do so.

Anyway, the movie looks like crap. I hear it gives no evidence to support creationism and somehow claims evolution was the cause of the holocaust. I will probably watch it, but sure as jebus won't pay for it.

11. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Given all the stuff you guys have said about it, I'd like to see the movie just to find out which reactions are completely overblown.

12. IntellectSucks

Sorry if I sounded like an asshat, just wanted to get some opinions of people who actually saw the movie. I've read so many different reviews of people trashing Ben Steins argument without even seeing the movie. People defend this with stuff like "there's enough of the movie out there in the trailers" and I think it's crap. It's impossible to take a 2 hour movie and get the entire point from MAYBE 30 minutes of diced up footage in trailers. I don't mind seeing a movie made by a crackpot pushing an extreme agenda (I've seen enough Michael Moore movies), I just wanted to get a reasonably objective opinion on whether or not it really WAS a crackpot agenda movie.

13. buttershug

Isn't it about Young Earth Creationism and Intelligent Design?

Are you seriously going to say those are not crackpot theories?

14. IntellectSucks

I would say that Intelligent Design is potentially every bit as valid as an alternative to the creation of the universe as current theories and thus every bit as valid as a realm of reasoned debate.

15. Carino

Carino IncGamers Member

ID is not just about the creation of the universe though, it's about the creation of life as well. Since there is plenty of evidence for evolution and none for ID I would say ID is not a valid theory.

16. buttershug

That debate started with Darwin. If not sooner.
    Evolution has won at every stage.
    And it is only potentially as valid if you don't understand Evolution.
    No one who puts down Evolution has been able to explain it.

The reason ID is not valid is because it starts with the conclusion and there is no evidence to support it.

17. johnnyd

johnnyd IncGamers Member

If we were to teach Intelligent Design in the science classroom then we would also have to teach astrology.

Do you believe astrology is valid science?

18. AeroJonesy

I wasn't aware evolution explained the creation of the universe.

19. buttershug

My car doesn't fly should I take it back to the dealer?

20. AeroJonesy

No, but you should stop telling people it does.