Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Excess/Stacked Resists?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by yankeestom, Oct 11, 2006.

1. yankeestom

yankeestom IncGamers Member

Excess/Stacked Resists?

I'm building a 1pt Smiter that I want to use to solo the Ubers. The guide posted here as well as some other uber-related threads have mentioned getting 125% excess resists for Uber-Meph's conviction.

How do you do this? Is it just a matter of adding enough items/charms that the total would go up to 125 in hell even though the character screen will still show 75? Or is there some aura/spell or a trick to it that I'm not aware of?

2. LorveN

LorveN D3 Off Topic Moderator

The screen will still show 75%.
    Stacking resists is basically having more resists as backup. The limit at 75% as max (you can get up to 95%max with +max res gear) is just the maximum you actually have.
    The game would be boring if you could have 100%resist, since that would mean immune.

When conviction removes 125% of your resists, you might want to have stacked resists. If you have 75% exactly, and nothing stacked, that would leave you with -50% when his aura affects you.

3. pancakeman

pancakeman IncGamers Member

Then I am gonna get pwned.

4. k/t

k/t Banned

Either stack resists or use Salvation while fighting Meph.

5. pancakeman

pancakeman IncGamers Member

That means I'll have to crank my IAS waaaay up.

6. k/t

k/t Banned

No, that means Meph will take slightly longer.

7. yankeestom

Thanks for the info.

In my situation, I have 65 from Coh, 50 from HoZ, 30 from the Anya quests, and 30 from charms, bringing me to 175. -100 for hell difficulty, and I'm at 75. Then Meph knocks me down by -125, bringing me to -50. So now I need to add another 125 through more charms, different ammy/ring/sockets to bring myself back up to a net of 75 when facing him. Is that correct?

8. k/t

k/t Banned

Herald should be supplying 69 with a PDiamond.

My Smiter uses Herald with PDiamond, Smoke (which I could change to COH, as I have the runes and the armor for it but which I always forget to do, plus it's the only FHR source he has), Credendum, Um in the helm, Highlord's, plus some resist charms. He has 49 Lightning Resist with Meph's Conviction on him, and it would be 64 with COH. I don't even bother using Salvation.

9. TTTimo

TTTimo IncGamers Member

You can always use fade prebuff from treachery. When you enter Tristram, walk away from the houses, there should be a burning rogue on a stick. Put on Treachery Armor, click on the rogue, and remain there until fade triggers, put your armor back on and there you have 60 all res extra.

10. k/t

k/t Banned

Better to Fade in one of the fires outside Harrogath. Safer that way.

11. killian27

killian27 IncGamers Member

Better to fade outside of chaos sanctuary since there's a portal right there and you'll be alone. :cool:

12. LorveN

LorveN D3 Off Topic Moderator

It is true, but still. If you get lifetap triggered, resists aren't much of an issue. Anyway, you should socket your HoZ as mentioned with a pdiamond, you could also try socket your helm with an um rune, and maybe get a few more light res charms. Meph should be a breeze by then. Maybe some fireres too.

13. wildbillboy

wildbillboy Banned

Resists Max

at any level (NORM_NM_HELL) 75% is not max if your are going to stack get the full benifit and increase the MAX Resist (and Pals should know this) This does not effect the stack # as the total is still 100% and roll over to NM HELL but..
    The pal skills Resit L/F/C add to the max resist for base points.
    The PAL Armor GA Templer Coat adds +15 all max and can be upgraded nicely in ladder (not pal only I use a uped to Hellforge one on a barb for resists of 95% in game to beat the cap and kill ubers or duel casters)
    Many other items = + max resist (Venom Gloves etc) all can help on UBER Kills Stack to 90-95%% and give only a 5% chance of them hitting you this is much better than Absorb in most cases.

14. yankeestom

Yeah, I know about increasing the max to 95, but that's not viable with my setup. My skills are already allotted, so can't pump the pally skills. And wearing GA would mean taking off the CoH and losing 65 resist points and the 8% life steal. I'm having trouble finding places to add resists; I can't lost another 65 just to increase the max capability.

Here's my setup as of last night:
    Grief PB/Hoz(Um)/Guillames(Um)/CoH/Dracs/Gores/String of Ears/Highlords/Raven Frost/SoJ

Plus 30 from various charms. That brings me to -23 resist all when under UberMeph's influence.

I went ahead and made a solo Tristam run last night at -23 and was able to get a torch (sorc, but it was +20!). Meph killed me twice in the process, but thats ok. All my gold was in a pile on the ground in town, so it didn't cost me anything. I figure if I can add 4x15 grand charms, that plus the new torch will bring me up to 57 resist all when fighting him, which should be enough.

15. k/t

k/t Banned

String --> Verdungo for life, dam red, FHR/Credendum for res, str, dex
    SOJ??? --> Dwarf Star, Wisp, Raven Frost

Guardian Angel is useless except for times when you need 90 resists.