Exactly how "scary" are hell act5 dark souls? if

whathappen

Diabloii.Net Member
When I see the dark souls is the only time I wish I had hydras. Since most souls are lighting inmune I remeber having a lot of trouble with them with my lighting trapsin. So far I haven't made a chaarcter that can deal with them. My sorc wearing tal rasha set its in aworld of trouble when teleporting around and a group of these shows up.

Fearoth

Diabloii.Net Member
Stiertje said:
Hehe, say that to a WW Barb or a Zeal Pally and I think you'll get a different answer.

But seriously, not only Souls are dangerous in the Worldstone Keep. They are maybe #1, but certainly not the only ones. Here are a few, in no particular order.

- Souls
- Dolls (especially Extra Fast or Fana Enchanted Bosspacks)
- Witches (large pack in combination with Amp damage is scary, since the magical attack seems to be Amp'ed too)
- Serpents (especially Extra Fast or Fana Enchanted Bosspacks)
- Oblivion Knights (not for sorcs really, but for their sidekicks and non-spellcasting teammembers)
- Horadrim Ancients (not really scary themselves, but they have a habit of ressurecting all undead nasties again)

Dont forget Death Lords- cant be frozen (not even by holy freeze) and extra fast pack of those- u r not getting away any time soon

tagkc

Diabloii.Net Member
Fearoth said:
)
- Oblivion Knights (not for sorcs really, but for their sidekicks and non-spellcasting teammembers)
With my barb, I've got into the habit of horking the OK bodies to make sure their good and dead before the Horadics come out.

WackenOpenAir

Diabloii.Net Member
How scary they are ?

They are not.

If you use Thundergods Vigor that is.

Really, i have thundergods vigor on my sorc, and barely recieve any damage from them. On nightmare they even heal me pretty well. I don't know if they also do partly physical damage since i see people telling only Tgods would not be enough. But in my case, i have Tgods and 40 pdr, and really i can stand between 20 dark souls and there will be no problem.

Still need to be carefull though, once i have met a group of souls with conviction. I think i had less than half a second to rejuv and leave game. If i had not had the thundergods, i would have certainly died.

My sorc uses energy shield in her mephi runs, but not in baal runs. elemental attacks like black souls take your mana incrediby fast. You must just rely on max resist and absorb there. ES is just good for pysical attacks (which is what you get while telporting for meph runs)
I do never participate in a baal run with any character without thundergods vigor (or whisp projector if i would own that)

Also pretty funny when everyone runs back to town in fear as they see black souls, and your weak necro or sorc can simply continu without an problems cuz of the Tgods :)

WackenOpenAir

Diabloii.Net Member
Fearoth said:
Stiertje said:
Hehe, say that to a WW Barb or a Zeal Pally and I think you'll get a different answer.

But seriously, not only Souls are dangerous in the Worldstone Keep. They are maybe #1, but certainly not the only ones. Here are a few, in no particular order.

- Souls
- Dolls (especially Extra Fast or Fana Enchanted Bosspacks)
- Witches (large pack in combination with Amp damage is scary, since the magical attack seems to be Amp'ed too)
- Serpents (especially Extra Fast or Fana Enchanted Bosspacks)
- Horadrim Ancients (not really scary themselves, but they have a habit of ressurecting all undead nasties again)

Dont forget Death Lords- cant be frozen (not even by holy freeze) and extra fast pack of those- u r not getting away any time soon
with my sorc, especially the dolls and witches are dangerous. My sorc has pretty low life (900) and makes up for that with absorb for each element (dwarf, raven, tgods) and 40 pdr (shaft, rockstopper). The magic attacks go past all that, so they own me like hell.

Harby

Diabloii.Net Member
Why no1 metions whisp projector ? I used to always have a tgods on stash for when doing baal runs but since i love my arachnid way to much ( mostly for the fcr, needed for the breakpoint) I tried whisp and its just marvelous :) But a tgods will definately do the job. The one thing I hate in baal runs (not scared of ,just hate) is Achmel who is an uber psn cheater. I mean how can he do SO much and SO quick psn dmg with full psn resist ? Never undrerstood that...

Stiertje

Diabloii.Net Member
WackenOpenAir said:
with my sorc, especially the dolls and witches are dangerous. My sorc has pretty low life (900) and makes up for that with absorb for each element (dwarf, raven, tgods) and 40 pdr (shaft, rockstopper). The magic attacks go past all that, so they own me like hell.
Here block comes is handy. Unlike the Pally's Blessed Hammer this magic attack is actually blockable. I used to have much trouble with these witches on my non-blocking (base dex) sorc, but my blocking sorc has no problems with them. It's just WHEN they hit you there is no resistance or damage reduction for it.

Harby said:
Why no1 metions whisp projector ? I used to always have a tgods on stash for when doing baal runs but since i love my arachnid way to much ( mostly for the fcr, needed for the breakpoint) I tried whisp and its just marvelous :) But a tgods will definately do the job. The one thing I hate in baal runs (not scared of ,just hate) is Achmel who is an uber psn cheater. I mean how can he do SO much and SO quick psn dmg with full psn resist ? Never undrerstood that...
Erm, has been mentioned about 3 or 4 times already. This little beauty of a ring was actually my very first usefull magic find. Found it at Eldritch & Co.

Zarhrezz

Diabloii.Net Member
Well, 65% ES plus 87% lightning resist isn't enough to live through a stroke of a Hell Gloam (act III Swamp). A single stroke of lightning killed my melee Enchantress, 610 life with the above mentioned ES and resist. Which boils down to 1743 physical or 13400 lightning damage from a single stroke of their lightning, though I believe it's a mix with lightning being the major factor. I just muled in Thundergods since without absorb, it's just not possible to survive against them.

Mage_Killer

Diabloii.Net Member
hydras > souls
seriously, my 1st ladder sorc without much gear (peasant naj armor eschuta) just cast hydra and hide behind a wall :)

st-hearts

Diabloii.Net Member
What about solutions for those people who don't have Thundergod's Vigor, Wisp Projector, or Guardian Angel?

I've never found any of those items, and trading away for them seems to be a waste. I know Blackhorn's can give decent Lightning Absorption, but what else could one use?

MDR from dual Dwarf Stars + Vipermagi?

~Hearts~

Stiertje

Diabloii.Net Member
st-hearts said:
What about solutions for those people who don't have Thundergod's Vigor, Wisp Projector, or Guardian Angel?

I've never found any of those items, and trading away for them seems to be a waste. I know Blackhorn's can give decent Lightning Absorption, but what else could one use?

MDR from dual Dwarf Stars + Vipermagi?

~Hearts~
I do not us either and I can stand in front of a pack and still not die. Off course I have to make quick work of them because I do loose life too. In any case, fire is the best way to kill them. My Meteorb sorc throws 2-3 fireballs in a pack and the pack is dead (splash damage rules)

The thing is that you NEED high life and high resist to withstand Souls in a full front attack. If you have neither, then don't try that. Instead try to run in various directions. This will cause the Souls to mostly miss, and when you see a chance you can cast Fireball to kill them.

The thing with Souls is that you actually get hit 5 times when you stand still. Walking or running greatly reduces their damage because you only get hit once or not at all. It's the same thing as with Diablo's Lightning hose. Stand still = death, run around = stay alive.

WackenOpenAir

Diabloii.Net Member
Zarhrezz said:
Well, 65% ES plus 87% lightning resist isn't enough to live through a stroke of a Hell Gloam (act III Swamp). A single stroke of lightning killed my melee Enchantress, 610 life with the above mentioned ES and resist. Which boils down to 1743 physical or 13400 lightning damage from a single stroke of their lightning, though I believe it's a mix with lightning being the major factor. I just muled in Thundergods since without absorb, it's just not possible to survive against them.
ES is used BEFORE resistances. so your mana gets full damage. if you dont have telekinesis maxed, it even gets double damage.
So Energy shield is kinda useless against them.

for the life though, yeah with 87 resist, you would need like 5k light dmg to lose that life. you can pretty well recieve 5k damage if several gloams attack you simmultaniously (which is the standard situation)

Absorb does indeed do much more than resists here. a barb with 3k life and max resists lives about as long as a sorc with 1k life, no resists and a thundergods :) (got to know that when one had conviction)

Stormcryer

Diabloii.Net Member
I've been busy doing MF runs and haven't finished my quests. Need anciients and Baal.

Question: How to the Dark Souls compare to the Gloams that I ran up against in Act 4. the ones that were hanging around Izul. (or whatever his name was.)

Not worried yet, but is has been a growing concern.

Storm

Sukkoi19

Diabloii.Net Member
Stormcryer said:
I've been busy doing MF runs and haven't finished my quests. Need anciients and Baal.

Question: How to the Dark Souls compare to the Gloams that I ran up against in Act 4. the ones that were hanging around Izul. (or whatever his name was.)

Not worried yet, but is has been a growing concern.

Storm
It will become a full-fledged concern soon enough. They suck, but at least they make it interesting.

Usufruct

Diabloii.Net Member
My Blizzard Sorc uses an 18/18 wisp projector ring. I don't normally wear guardian angel or thundergods, so I still take damage from souls, but they never damage me enough to kill me. I also have a 4 topaz shield and a wizardspike on switch from my hoto and lidless, for those rare occasions when you run into a conviction soul pack.

Zarhrezz

Diabloii.Net Member
Ok, swapped in a Thundergod's. Resist the same, 87% lightning resist. Without Thundergod's I died instantly against gloams. With Thundergod's I don't lose any life...none that I could notice, at least.

melianor

D3 Wizard Moderator
Zarhrezz said:
Ok, swapped in a Thundergod's. Resist the same, 87% lightning resist. Without Thundergod's I died instantly against gloams. With Thundergod's I don't lose any life...none that I could notice, at least.
Very nice to hear. Still i cant afford the Str req :/
Taken note for other builds.

ioupainmax

Diabloii.Net Member
I have just tried using thundergod's vigor and guardian angel on my hammerdin and it does indeed heal me.

I was just wondering whether a meteorb sorc with thundergod's vigor and stormshield and guardian angel will be viable?

anybody got any ideas or has anybody already tried this

melianor

D3 Wizard Moderator
ioupain said:
I have just tried using thundergod's vigor and guardian angel on my hammerdin and it does indeed heal me.

I was just wondering whether a meteorb sorc with thundergod's vigor and stormshield and guardian angel will be viable?

anybody got any ideas or has anybody already tried this
You could use that gear to teleport down to Baal and then wehen the gloams are dead you could switch. Important realyl is only the Lightning Resistance. So Thundergods would suffice. I am not the type to invest huge amounts of Str to wear all that (mybe the str for thundergods.. ) so i'd advise against it.

You could build a very sturdy Sorc with that gear, but you will lack in possible +skill that way. sadly Guardian Angel only gives + to Paladin ;), Otherwise that armor would be very expensive *g*

Killfrenzy

Diabloii.Net Member
Stiertje said:
- Sorcs who keep throwing Meteors when Lister is about to arrive at the *launch platform*. A somewhat high level player should know that Lister is always Fire Immune.

Amen, I've freaked out on a few sorcs for doing that just today!