Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Exactly how "scary" are hell act5 dark souls? if

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by [FLS]prozerran, Mar 10, 2004.

1. [FLS]prozerran

[FLS]prozerran IncGamers Member

Exactly how "scary" are hell act5 dark souls?

I have been hesitant to go for hell baal runs mostly because I'm scared of the dark souls and i'm playing on HCL.

I have 1200+ life and 600+ mana, 75 resist but no absorb, and with ES on. I had bad experience encountering those before, where my nec with 1400 life almost got killed in 3 shoots, but he had low lightning resist back then. I did have 110 FCR, so can I bypass them easily without getting hit in a lag-free night?

I don't think I will have much trouble against baal and his minions, but it's the dark souls that is scaring me off.

2. xKurupT

xKurupT IncGamers Member

yeah my barb has max resist and seems to die quikly by burning souls in hell... he has 2000+ hp and still seams to loose about 15-20% of his life per hit.... i think if u use thundergods it might be abit better...

my sorc in hell with about 50 lighting resist and approx 800 life dies in 2-3 hits.. when vsing them try and be tricky... if u can lure them towards u it will make life easier as they wont shoot at u while moving... freezing them helps alot too...

3. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

With Max Lightning Res, high life and any FCR above 63% you will not have too much a problem with Black Souls.

just from my experience i do alot of Baalruns in Hell with my Meteorb.
    75% Lightning Res, 1024 Life, max-block (does not help against Black Souls), 90% FCR (same as 63%+ since the next breakpoint is not reached)
    I have no ES! (so no mana-burn *phew*) Do not need it either...

Sometimes i encounter Black Soul Champions when i Tele down for the group, then it can get really hairy and aweful (draining 4-5 rejus in just 2 secs).
    Usually i have no lag and can teleport fast down to the Throneroom and from then on its a breeze.

Hug walls, corners that stick out, and those little alcoves and you should be fine. Look ahead while teleporting. When you are not too used to Teleporting rather break inbetween when you have air ;)

105% FCR or higher should improve your speed even more. With my 63% breakpoint i can teleport past those Black souls and just see them cast Lightning at the spot where i would have been :teeth:

As soon as you have 75% Lightning res, High Life and enough FCR you should get into trouble seldom.

The real secure way of getting down there and then switch fast to killgear would be:
    Wizard Spike 75 allres 50%fcr
    Mosers with 2 Pdiamonds
    Guardian Angel
    Tal's Amu, belt 20%FCR

so you reach 95% Lightning Res. Then those BLack souls are just a tickle, but i guess that setup would be a bit off overkill since you have to change gear to much ;)

I also have Lidless and Wizard Spike, giving me 140FCR in all. That puts you on a very secure side :D, 75% Lightning Res then too and Life even more. For Killing in the Throne Room switch back to whatever you have.

4. Zarhrezz

Zarhrezz IncGamers Member

Max resists + Thundergod's will safeguard you from Burning/Black Souls.
    95% lightning resist +20 absorb and you can stand in front of them as long as you like (did that with my assassin, 2 boss packs together wouldn't scratch her....after about 2 minutes (getting a coke) I decided they had their chance to kill me and took them out).
    My Energy Shield sorc didn't have problems with B-Souls as long as I kept running...standing still and 3-4 lightning strokes would take her mana (and thus kill her a fraction of a second later), but 1-2 full hits while orbing wouldn't take her out.

5. melianor

Ah didnt think about Thundergods. Nice idea (goes get from mule) *G*
    Thats an easy swotch too, once you are down in The throneroom, but str-req 110!! Argh... ok, not for me then :p

6. ivasar

ivasar IncGamers Member

Another solution is Wisp Projector ring with high light absorb (goes from 10 to 20%). With 15+ absorb and max resist, should be able to stand in front of souls too, so will be ok to tele down to throne :) And wisp has other benefits that can even suggest not to switch rings once you are at thone: up to 20%mf, level 2 oak sage (+35%max life, but they die pretty fast unfortunately...) or lvl5 heart of the wolverine for melee chars (+48%ed, +53%ar)

7. core1000

core1000 IncGamers Member

You need to have Like 142% or 280% Faster Hit Recovery. Note it's Hit Recovery and not Faster Cast Rate. >105% Faster Cast Rate would be good.

8. bwirum

bwirum IncGamers Member

I know I noticed a huge difference on my hammerdin when switching to T-Gods. Without my life would drain like a b****, with it I'm just peachy and stand in front of them and kill them off... :) This is with max resi with both setups.

9. melianor

I dont know about you, but the way i see it is, that you dont want to get HIT by Black Souls at all, so the only answer is Faster Cast and NOT be hit and then be able to recover fast.
    What Sorc can achieve 142% FHR anyway except with having a huge amount of scs?!?!?!?!

The 8frame version from 63%-104% works (i played like that most of the time, probable reason also a good connection (!?), more is ofcourse better! :D

10. mistiquo

mistiquo IncGamers Member

with my hammerdin, I LOVE black souls (and the likes) I'm using all uber gear...
    But the crown of it all is a nice guardian angel and thundergods... I have 90 res all, 95 lightning res and another 20 lightning absorb... in the worldkeep, I just stop and let baal do one of his attacks on me to heal again... (that is SOOO funny!!!)

11. ivasar

ivasar IncGamers Member

Well, even with FCR the Faster Hit Recovery helps, because allows you to tele away preventing further hits :)

12. melianor

Yes ivasar, but he was talking about 142% FHR :p Ofcourse for example wearing a pair of Bloodfists additionally would be nice. From my experience though i teleport so fast that the only thing i see from Black Souls Lightning is that it does not hit me at all!

13. Zarhrezz

Zarhrezz IncGamers Member

With max resist + Thundergod's FHR and FCR become irrelevant when facing Black Souls...they cannot deal 1/12th your life in damage, thus no hit recovery occurs. Also there's not blocking involved so also no block animation interrupting your casting. Problem solved :lol:

14. Stiertje

Stiertje IncGamers Member

Thundergod's Vigor will only make your MAX lightning reisst 85%, not 95%. Only having TGods is not a safeguard against Hell Souls. Maybe with 95% resist it is enough, but definately not with *just* 85% resist.

Anyway, throw in a Wisp Projector and you're fine. Hey, what the heck, use an Occulus and have some more fun. 20% chance to cast teleport + being hit 5 times by Souls lightning in 1 shoot = helluva ride :)

15. Stiertje

There ARE other monsters in the Worldstone you know .......

16. bwirum

bwirum IncGamers Member

yes, but none as deadly as the black souls..

17. Stiertje

Hehe, say that to a WW Barb or a Zeal Pally and I think you'll get a different answer.

But seriously, not only Souls are dangerous in the Worldstone Keep. They are maybe #1, but certainly not the only ones. Here are a few, in no particular order.

- Souls
    - Dolls (especially Extra Fast or Fana Enchanted Bosspacks)
    - Witches (large pack in combination with Amp damage is scary, since the magical attack seems to be Amp'ed too)
    - Serpents (especially Extra Fast or Fana Enchanted Bosspacks)
    - Oblivion Knights (not for sorcs really, but for their sidekicks and non-spellcasting teammembers)
    - Horadrim Ancients (not really scary themselves, but they have a habit of ressurecting all undead nasties again)

Especially the last ones are quite funny. I've seen various people die in Baalruns during the second wave, because the Ancients started ressurecting the Souls in the Throneroom.

Sidenote; I suspect that the ones that die in second wave are the same ones that do the following stupid things during Baalruns.

- Sorcs who keep throwing Meteors on the *launch platform* even when they have a Stigian Doll at their feet (either ressurected or just arrived). Most of the time it takes more then 5 seconds for them to be aware of it. Sometimes I must suppress the urge to blast that Doll from her feet, but that's just my evil alter-ego.

- Sorcs who keep throwing Meteors when Lister is about to arrive at the *launch platform*. A somewhat high level player should know that Lister is always Fire Immune.

- Sorcs who keep throwing Meteors or Blizzards or Orbs when Lister is dead. Can they even count? Counting to five or even recognising Lister isn't THAT hard, is it?

But this is getting way off topic. It's just some thoughts that there are many n00bs in high levels because it's so easy to get there. Most of them wouldn't survive a minute alone in act5.

18. bwirum

bwirum IncGamers Member

Hehe, I've actually found myself spamming spells after the lister-pack is dead, but that usually occurs when I'm either really tired or really drunk... :p In both cases I prolly should have headed off to bed a long time ago :D

19. Hyey

Hyey IncGamers Member

With 85% Light resis and wispprotecter Black souls are nothing,

But my sorc continously dies to Doll packs with the extra fast/Might or fanat mod, as if they werent fast enough to begin with, now they have like a friggen teleport and if you kill one, it explodes at your feet doing like... 5000 physical damage :/

20. ventilator

ventilator IncGamers Member

I found that TGods + Gerkes, i.e. 85% LR + 20 absorb + 16 MDR, makes Black Souls a lot less scary. I can't exactly sit there but I can take at least 5-10 hits easily while Orbing them before I have to pull back to heal. But even without such safety gear, 75% LR is enough to survive a few hits and to get out usually. I wouldn't dare going near them without 75% LR though and I've seen quite a few people die to them in the blink of an eye in HCL. They always had crappy LR.

As for encountering dolls with your Sorc, your merc is the key here. When they rush you, tele back a bit to gather your merc, then walk away from Dolls + Merc. They engage and you are free to blast them.