Evolution is a bad word...

Maverikk

Diabloii.Net Member
Evolution is a bad word...

...So says the Georgia superintendent.

By DOUG GROSS, Associated Press Writer

ATLANTA - The state's school superintendent has proposed striking the word evolution from Georgia's science curriculum and replacing it with the phrase "biological changes over time."

The change, which drew criticism from both liberals and conservatives, is included in more than 800 pages of draft revisions to Georgia's curriculum that have been posted by the Department of Education (news - web sites) on its Web site. The middle and high school standards are expected to be voted on by the state Board of Education in May, after public comments.

Superintendent Kathy Cox said the concept of evolution would still be taught under the proposal, but the word would not be used in the curriculum. The proposal would not require schools to buy new textbooks omitting the word evolution and would not prevent teachers from using it.

Cox, a Republican elected to the post in 2002, repeatedly referred to evolution as a "buzzword" Thursday and said the ban was proposed, in part, to alleviate pressure on teachers in socially conservative areas where parents object to its teaching.

Cox, a Republican elected to the post in 2002, repeatedly referred to evolution as a "buzzword" Thursday and said the ban was proposed, in part, to alleviate pressure on teachers in socially conservative areas where parents object to its teaching.

"If teachers across this state, parents across this state say, 'This is not what we want,' then we'll change it," Cox said.

Educators and legislators criticized the proposal, saying science teachers understand the theories behind evolution and how to teach them.
Rest of the article here: http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=519&ncid=519&e=1&u=/ap/20040130/ap_on_re_us/striking_evolution_3

Forgive me for showing Yahoo around here, it seems everyone despises it so. Oh well. *Runs off.*

Xynrx

Diabloii.Net Member
So let me get this straight. A bunch of parents don't want their children to be taught evolution, so they plan on changing it's name but still intend to fully teach it...

So "evolution" is a buzzword is it...

Akira

We have a word in the english language that means 'biological changes over time', this whole enterprise is intellectually bankrupt!

Chief JB

Diabloii.Net Member
If you dont want your kids hearing the word evolution just send them to some religious school? That's pretty goofy that they can still teach it, but aren't saying the word.

Choogy

Diabloii.Net Member
Biological change over time... one guy said its like teachin gravity w/out ever saying the word gravity...

toader

Banned
I think some of you are missing the point. This was discussed in the other thread on this topic.....

There is a difference between evoltution and "Theory of Evolution." Evolution isnt a theory, its a fact, things evolve over time to adapt to their surroundings. "The Theory of Evolution" is a document written detailing that man comes directly from apes/monkeys.

The orange stuff is a paraphrase of what Seargant said in the other thread.

Usufruct

Diabloii.Net Member
If I were in that school, I think I'd start wearing evolution shirts and start singing the evolution song (that I would have written for the occasion [but I didn't write it because I don't go to that school]).

llad12

Diabloii.Net Member
cleanupguy said:
I read this article as well. I couldn't stop laughing after I read the article. Talk about people living in the past.
It's a fact that some of our southern brethern have not adjusted well to the 21st or even 20th century for that matter. Check out the Georgia state flag from 1956-2001. http://www.50states.com/flag/gaflag_old.htm

As you can see, they never did quite get over the burning of Atlanta by Sherman in '64 ... 1864 that is ...

Damn Yankees and their "War of Northern Aggression" :teeth:

They did construct a nice stone carving in tribute to Confederate Generals Lee, Jackson and President Davis at Stone Mountain: http://www.cviog.uga.edu/Projects/gainfo/photogallery/htmpages/stonemt9.htm

Unfortunately, it was the Klu Klux Klan that constructed it. :eek:

Ah well, they did give us the "Georgia Peach". Ted Turner, and the reason for "Gone with the Wind".

Dang old Southern Pride ...

Little wonder that evolution is a foul word for some down there.