Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Every wonder why noobies like revive?

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by patheticloser, Feb 26, 2004.

1. patheticloser

patheticloser IncGamers Member

Every wonder why noobies like revive?

Here is a quote from The Arreat Summit

"Skeletons can work great throughout Normal Difficulty especially with points into Skeleton Mastery (or a point and +Skill Items). Once you hit Nightmare and Hell difficulty, generally Skeletons will die very quickly. You may wish to, once you hit Level 30, upgrade to Revived Monsters and switch to Revived Monsters and Skeletal Mages."

I to used to think revives rocked, untill I saw the light and started pumping my skeletons. Now I know how I came to my origional ilogical conclusion!

2. JEDi-MiNDTRiCKS

JEDi-MiNDTRiCKS Banned

That information is probably not updated since 1.09, I agree with you, I don't even use revives, get in the way more than they help. only ones I use really is gloams or spirit casters, blood lords can be ok too.

3. Slayaboxer

Slayaboxer IncGamers Member

some revives are very valueable such as those A5 baal's minions (those dude who have fire breath, and gloams). In general, skellies do more damage but low hp, revives have big hp but weak damage. They are pretty useful but you cant depend on them.

4. Jackson

Jackson IncGamers Member

I use Revives only in special occasions, such as when I'm doing a Baal run, and I revive the minions. Also in Pit runs when I revive the archers. This is because sometimes I feel the need of ranged attackers.

5. Cerebron

Cerebron IncGamers Member

There are three primary reasons for using Revive. My necro can revive 16 monsters. But I almost never used the skill.

1) We've got Bone Wall, Fire Wall. Why not Meat Wall?

2) It fulfills the proud feeling of being a summoner.

3) If you really hate your party, reviving may be a good way to piss off everybody. You goit it? lag... All those who say skeletons lag are necro-wise idiots. But revive is another story.

6. JEDi-MiNDTRiCKS

JEDi-MiNDTRiCKS Banned

Honestly I don't even see the point in using revives for a meat shield, my skeles rarely die, and revives are just too stupid to use for a meat shield I don't need.

7. moi

moi IncGamers Member

Urdars make good revieves for act boss running, what with the crusing blow and all...

8. phaedrus

phaedrus IncGamers Site Pal

I have to say I get a bit aggravated when people pin the appellation "noob" on folks who use revives. I suspect that most of the people who say that never played a necro pre-1.10, and never witnessed the dismaying sight of having their entire skeleton army destroyed by Diablo's first fire wave attack, and only carrying the day via their faithful revives.

Yeah, skeletons rock in 1.10. I have a ladder skellimancer, and I love how skels got boosted in 1.10. But I am also playing (via TCP/IP) a 1.09 revives-based summoner with a friend (a Zeal/Fana pally with a might merc), and can tell you I have never seen such carnage as a pack of Fana/Might/Thorn'd Demon Lords with amp. Lister's gang's life expectancy is measured in seconds.

Are they more trouble than skels? Sure. Do you have to pay more attention to them than skels? Yep. Do you need to be discerning about what types of chars you revive? Absolutely.

Revives aren't "fire and forget" like skels. It takes a lot more attention to play a revive-based character effectively, but revives can be some of the hardest hitting critters in the game.

So, I think it's probably not a good idea to a priori dismiss revives users as "noobs".

Just my 2 cents worth.

9. Necrochild313

Necrochild313 IncGamers Member

Revives are great meatwalls. That's what I use them for as well, Cerebron, nicely put.

:thumbsup:

10. Unlimited Skill

Unlimited Skill IncGamers Member

If you are running out of ways to upgrade your skells in accordance with your game progress, ie. if they suck for the difficulty, Revives with their massive hp and "synergies" (it sez they get bonuses from the skel skills) can take the hits while you and your skells take it to the monsters. Just make sure not to revive complete crap.

Now if there was a way to revive boss monsters... that would be awsome... Diablo Clone... much, much more...

11. Necrochild313

Necrochild313 IncGamers Member

Hell yeah man...go boss runnin with a merc w/ 95% CB and enigma armor, perhaps and Iron Golem made out of something with alot of crushing blow, and you can go PK TEH NOOBS with diabloclone, duriel and baal. Now, wouldn't that be fun?

12. Dark Knight

Dark Knight IncGamers Member

I know that scenario well :D

13. Dodgy_geezah

Dodgy_geezah IncGamers Member

I use revives for my bonermancer. Excellent diversions, even with virtually no points in skell mastery they give me the breathing room to do my other stuff. Well worth the 7 or so points I dumped into the summoning tree. I run the chaos sanc with him and revived fire immune death knights (or whatever their name is) can tank hell diablo perfectly. :cool:

14. Dazuni

Dazuni IncGamers Member

revives are great, but only at the right occassion. if you are like me a boner, and you are partying, then a few revives will make a major difference in the game play. with 6 - 8 player games, Boner might run into mana problem very quickly.

using bone prison are the best way to slow down your enermy, and it is cheap, 1 mana at level 29, but it will aslos slow down your party too ( and be cursed as "noob, no ******* bone wall!!!!!!!!"). as a result a boner might consider act as a curse / summoner until boss.

at low level Skelly and magi are not so great (level 11 RS RM SM), usually they will die out on the first wave but if you have revive, it is different, simply get a plus skil item for the revive and let the other + level skiller do the rest, it means that level 6 revives really have 6 revives, compare to 4 skelly.

this way, let your party member and revives melee and you concerntrate on curse (and picking up items) it helps alot on saving the mana pool till boss. once it is boss, just swap back to boner gear and off you blast.

your party shall be greatful that you used revives.

15. Jackson

Jackson IncGamers Member

I use Enigma with teleport for Baal running, so those extra attacking revives will add to the killing speed, especially for going against bosses.

16. Slayaboxer

Slayaboxer IncGamers Member

yah i agree, ppl shouldnt call ppl newbie when they use revive. Revive is one of summon necro's best friend. Its very hard to do diablo/baal runs without some sort of new summons other than skellies. In addition, why ppl think revive is newb?? Its just like putting up a meat wall between u and monsters/bosses

17. TheKbob

TheKbob IncGamers Member

Yes, but running on into a pure summoner at around, oh say 70~ish, in Hell Baal runs just using pure revived. They only serve then as meatwalls, when skeletons can still kill.

I will try this weekend to make a Cow Level in duel game, get my army up then get revived cows that will have Fant + Might + BO + Heart of the Wolverine. Wonder if they have enuff stats to win an pk in duels?

~Kbob

18. Æ’enris

Æ’enris Banned

Well, it's not like skellymancers are tight on points, so a spare one or 5 in revive can give you some nice tanks, and there are a few good monsters to revive.

19. JCX

JCX IncGamers Member

IMO, the difference between a "noob" and a more saavy player is how they use the revives. For example in a nice 8 player multi game, revives are generally not terribly helpful. When I get running with a party I'll pull up some skellies to keep the party safe and leave it there. If the situation dictates, I'll bring a few revives up. The "noob" seems to think 20 revives are needed at all times in every game.

There are definitely times when revives are superior. One time on a council run someone was packing conviction. Instantly there was me throwing commands from the background and only revives left. Diablo Clone is another such case. :evil:

20. GIR

GIR Banned

I think even a point into Revive and some +skills is worth the price of admission. It's certainly not necessary to have as many of them as you can up at all times, but they have their use. Not to mention it's just cool to be able to resurrect a creature. That is the pinnacle of skill for a real Necromancer, after all, being able to revive the dead.