Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

everquest question...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by muteownz, Mar 30, 2004.

1. muteownz

muteownz IncGamers Member

everquest question...

i've been concidering boosting my memory and graphics speed and getting everquest but there are like what 10 different games of everquest.. to get started do i have to buy like every single versions? or just buy the most recent one?

also has anyone played it. how is it? never tried it. thought i'd give something else a try.

2. Wuhan_Clan

Wuhan_Clan IncGamers Member

Oh man, you can't talk about that stuff. If anyone here was on Evercrack, he or she obviously wouldn't be here to answer your question.

Then again, some people have strong will power.

3. Crispyknight

Crispyknight IncGamers Member

I dont remember, but when I broke my addiction, it had threeish expansions. You could buy Everquest Gold, I think it has two of the three expansions with it, then buy th last seperatly. You'd have to read the box closely to be sure.

That said: DONT DO IT! That game sucks up huge amounts of time. Not like many games where you can save and exit after three minutes; sometimes it takes an hour just to find a group to start. I was absolutely absorbed by the game; fortunatly, I wasn't dating anyone at the time, and work was fairly mindless, but that game can ruin you life, estrange your family, and impregnate your sister. (alright, that last was a bit far-fetched, but I'm give to hyperbole late at night)

4. th5418

th5418 Banned

Why is it called evercrack? What makes it so addicting?

5. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

Free narcotics in every box. :cheesy:

6. GIR

GIR Banned

For lots of lonely, lonely people, it's their only form of social interaction.

I remember reading about once case... I think his name was Sean Wooley or something... he actually blew his head off over something that happened in the game. I guess there was someone in the game who he considered to be his only friend or something, and this other guy stole his gold. As I understand it, he did it not because he lost the gold, but he felt betrayed by his only friend. Sad.

I imagine it could be a good game to play if you have self control.

I personally never touched the stuff, though.

7. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

One guy did it because he lost his account, another guy did it because his online relationship on Evercrack with another player ended.

8. GIR

GIR Banned

And Dominos Pizza sales continue to suffer...

9. adamfgt78

adamfgt78 IncGamers Member

When I started my job last summer, a couple of the guys played it and got me to try it out. I had to spend about $100 to get all the different packs. But now there is one box that has all but two of the expansions included, I believe.

I was actually quite disappointed in the game and it never got its hooks in me. I only played for about a month. For starters, there are virtually no newbie players. You might be able to find some low level groups, but they are veteran players with twinked characters. You'll be lost with the lingo and conventions of play. I found the game interface to be un-intuitive and the instruction book literally didn't match the game. And I hope you like a lot of running and sitting in your computer games, because EQ is chock full of it. You get to kill a monster, get a tiny bit of exp, and then sit for 4 minutes while you regenerate your mana, then repeat. And you'll have to run everywhere you go until you get with a more advanced group that can teleport you to different locales. There are only a couple of characters that are able to play solo; all the rest HAVE to play in a group pretty much ALL the time. If you already know people that play that can help you out and explain stuff to you, you might be able to get into the game. But if you're planning on starting on your own, I wouldn't recommend the game.

10. inatey

inatey IncGamers Member

umm you could w8 for everquest 2 it will be cheaper.. and it isnt far from release i think... or be a good blizard fan and play wow.. i would be out in 5-6 months...

11. muteownz

muteownz IncGamers Member

yes i've heard its addicting but hey i got nothing else to do. i've been playing d2 A LOT and finally starting to stop playing it. so i wana try this game. or maybe something else. i dont sleep during the night i'm a night person. and theres nothing else really to do.. either play games or watch tv. :)

12. m1rage

m1rage IncGamers Member

I've been playing mmorpgs for a while (3+ years) and I have to say that they are completely different from D2. While D2 is very action based, Everquest and others are much slower paced. This means kill one monster, sit for 5 minutes, rinse, repeat. Although I've only dabbled in EQ for a few months on and off, I played a lot of Dark Age of Camelot (3 years), which has a lot of common roots. In EQ, you will build relationships much better than D2, and in many cases, after the luster of the game has worn out, friends are the only thing that keep you playing the game.

As mentioned, EQ is a HUGE timesink. Also, the learning curve of the game is painfully high. There are enough EQ only acronyms to fill a 1000 page volume. I would suggest waiting it out and if you really want to try a mmorpg, (which I highly discourage) try some of the newer generation ones like Lineage 2, EQ 2, etc so you can begin at the bottom where most of the player base is just starting out.

13. Kawaii

Kawaii IncGamers Member

I finally got rid of my heroine addiction, so i'm gonna give crystal meth a shot now.:rolleyes:

14. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

Hey, everyone's gotta have a vice.

And a select few of us gotta make up for those who don't. *cough*

15. Crispyknight

Crispyknight IncGamers Member

Funny, I just got rid of a meth addiction, and was thinking about getting into heroine. Want to trade paraphanelia?

16. Eggolas

Eggolas IncGamers Member

Everquest is a massive time sink and an incredible amount of fun. After playing Diablo/Diablo2 for about 6 years, I left three years ago to play Everquest as many of the people in my playing group had headed over to one of the EQ servers.

It's an unbelievable game, really. By that I mean that you have to actually play it to understand why it's so addicting. The general age level is quite a bit higher than for D2 I suspect and while not perfect, Sony does ban hundreds of accounts for cheating and inappropriate activity (such as using the N word, even in private communication). I couldn't believe the other day that a Diablo account actually includes the word along with "hate." On EQ, the account would be banned permanently as well as any related accounts (same billing address, etc.). Bots advertising gear on their websites would be banned also.

But it does manage to devour huge amounts of time.

17. Starseed

Starseed IncGamers Member

For what it's worth, if you already haven't, I say go out and pick up NWN Gold+HotU.. awesome SP game plus (eerily polite) MP option & seemingly endless modules. :)

Once I get everything settled in with the move, I'm gonna continue working on my own full campaign with the Aurora Toolset.

18. inatey

inatey IncGamers Member

wow resuerecting an old thread if i ever saw it

19. ScanMan

ScanMan IncGamers Member

Wait until September and get GuildWars!