Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Ever thought of this?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by PublicEnemy, Mar 30, 2004.

1. PublicEnemy

PublicEnemy IncGamers Member

Ever thought of this?

Have you seriously ever thought of killing the one(s) who did harm to you?
    Do you practice what the proverb says,"an eye for an eye,a tooth for a tooth"?

2. giantpinkbunnyhead

giantpinkbunnyhead IncGamers Member

SERIOUSLY thought about it? Nope, Never have. But I have jokingly thought about it...

I do believe in the eye for an eye philosophy insofar as it's reasonable. i.e. if someone kills your father, the murderer's father shouldn't be killed also since he was innocent. I support an eye for an eye so long as the recipient of the retaliation is the one who pulled off the original act of harm.

Otherwise, I think murders should be put to death; I think rapists should themselves be *****, I think thieves should have their own property stolen or confiscated as punishment; if you assault someone with a bat, then they should have the chance to take a bat to you. But that's just me.

3. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Do you not see how raping or assaulting someone because they did it to you would just further the cycle. . .or would the original assaultee have immunity to the law?

As for me I have never thought about killing them, but I have had my fair share of fist fights. Thinking of killing is destructive to your mood and so is wanting to hurt someone. I have never and never will pre-meditate hurting/killing someone. All the fights I have been in are more spur of the moment. Now tension may build between me and the other party for a while before one of us snaps, but I haven't ever thought "I will bring a bat to school so I can beat his head in after lunch."

4. toader

toader Banned

Rapers shouldnt get *****. They should just get their junk cut off.

5. Underseer

Underseer IncGamers Member

Never.

Nope.

Oh sure, I often want revenge when I've been wronged. I also accept that "justice" is just a fancy word for formalized revenge no matter what face people try to put on it, and I'm actually fine with that. However taking that revenge to the level of "an eye for an eye" is a bit extreme for my tastes.

Besides, I think most people who declare "an eye for an eye" are taking the phrase out of context. Hopefully a Bible expert can sort me out, but wasn't the context of that statement about simple proportionality? I've heard theologians suggest that in the distant past every crime had the same punishment (death) and that the "eye for an eye" was a call for more proportional punishments (e.g. that lesser crimes should have lesser punishments). Again, I'm no Bible expert, so take this with a grain of salt.

6. memememe173

memememe173 IncGamers Member

If you wanted to use the eye for eye rule to kill some one, then you'd have to be killed by them befor you could kill them:lol:

7. zodiac66

zodiac66 IncGamers Member

If someone molested or killed one of my kids, you bet I would.

8. giantpinkbunnyhead

giantpinkbunnyhead IncGamers Member

It's not about furthering a cycle... it's about a basic innate desire for revenge. The person who was assaulted, would be legally able to reciprocate against the attacker, in the same manner as the attacker used against the victim. If the victim was beat with a bat for 5 minutes, then the victim should be allowed to beat the attacker with a bat for 5 minutes. but the victim could ONLY do this against the original attacker, and ONLY once (unless the attacker came back for seconds). Otherwise, the victim would then cross the line and become an attacker, and hence be subject to reciprocal punishment from his former attacker/now victim.

Additionally, the victim does not HAVE to reciprocate in a similar manner. For those victims who do not agree with "an eye for an eye" they can have the attacker tried in a court of law according to more traditional methods. But if the victim chooses to reciprocate equally, that reciprocation acts as the punishment, and when completed everyone is square.

9. Plum

Plum IncGamers Member

GPBH, that's a bit excessive. You'd essentially be legalizing all forms of violent crime under certain circumstances. I don't support capital punishment, but at the very least it's currently carried out by the state and in a relatively humane and regulated manner. The same can't be said about letting former victims take bats to the convicts (not to mention that half the cases would probably result with the criminal being dead, maimed, and so on).

Yeah, that's along the lines of the conclusion that many came to. That's why it's sometimes called the law of equivalency, if I remember correctly. It's commonly thought that the words were actually intended to limit excessive retribution or punishment.

10. Freemason

Freemason Banned

I plead the 5th :innocent:

Actually killing your mark is the easy way out. For them, not you. You can only kill somebody once. But you can hurt them over and over. Everything from destroying them financially to physically hurting them in exotic ways. Of which I don't need to go into.

One thing you have to do though, is to make your retribution so terrible that your mark will have almost a phobia concerning you. It's the only way you can avoid retribution yourself.

Can I help? Anybody molesting my son, or even trying to, would die in some exceedingly painful and very slow manner. The Sioux and Viet Cong came up with some ingenious ways of letting nature do it for you. Low maintenance death you might call it. Ants and bamboo come to mind.

11. memememe173

memememe173 IncGamers Member

scretly submitting them to radiation could work...

12. hottystarfish

hottystarfish IncGamers Member

Me I LOVE that rule but mine is a little different i do and eye for a eye and a limb or 2. c when im 18 i can get a GuN and this *** who cost me $1347.17 will be wishing that he was never born because i will track him down and have a little pratice "dear hunting" with 2 elbows a hand and a pair of knees hope he is a screamer =P :innocent:

13. Freemason

Freemason Banned

Killing over money is petty. Killing over a woman, honor, avenging a family member or friend is acceptable. But is destroying your future over $1,300 worth it? You appear to not hav thought this out enough and you would get yourself caught. Not too bright.

Plus, how do you know he's not keeping an eye out for you? I do what's necessary to make being ambushed as difficult as possible. Say you do get yourself a gun. Then what? You just going to go up and shoot him? Somebody such as myself as well as our military pukes aren't going to allow somebody to just walk up and kill us

First of all, can you even hit what you're aiming at? I know the odds of being shot by an untrained punk. You could fire off 16 rounds and miss every one of them. Then what? Can you reload fast enough to avoid being killed yourself? 5 seconds to reload is a long time. That's enough time to get up and travel the max. 15 yards you'd be at. Then what? Think you're good enough to avoid a determined attack with intent to kill? I'm nowhere near as good as our military guys and I need only two at most strikes and you're dead.

This kind of thing is always in one small part of my brain at every moment. My family has a trail of blood behind it. You can never know when some dumbarse punk is going to try to take one of us out. So think about it. Are you man enough to do what you say?

14. Geeno

Geeno IncGamers Member

If I have a weapon on me its just best to act natural and not make any sudden movements.

15. Kitana

Kitana IncGamers Member

Sure have.

But then I thought about getting caught, and that didn't seem to pleasant. Well, that and I thought that being able to see him self-destruct would be so much more fun.

16. dodomac

dodomac IncGamers Member

Everytime someone has wronged me I think of about 999 different ways to kill them over and over inside of my head. As time goes on that number becomes less, and I have yet to actually do anything. I have seriously thought about it though... but thought is hardly a precursor to action.

17. Geeno

Geeno IncGamers Member

If thoughts were a precurser to action I would have committed every crime under every circumstance by now.

18. Carnage-DVS

Carnage-DVS IncGamers Member

You need help. I'm serious.

19. Xynrx

Xynrx IncGamers Member

Wow... No, I have never considered, or even thought about, killing any human being.

20. Freemason

Freemason Banned

You can think about it, even make a good plan on how to do it. It may one day be necessary and having a plan in advance is following the Law of the Seven "P's".

But don't obsess over it. It'll eat at you. Instead, just let it sit there, waiting to be unleased. It'll patiently wait there.