Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Ever hear of 1 Omega?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Kralgar, Feb 8, 2004.

1. Kralgar

Kralgar Banned

Ever hear of 1 Omega?

I guess it goes something like this.. Some Scientist back in early 20th Century
    Determined the mass of the Universe which he names 1 Omega. Then he goes and figures out the mass of Everthing that we can see like Planets, stars, Interstellar gas, Pretty much EVERYTHING . What does that add up too? Only 1/10 of 1 Omega. So he calls the other 90% Dark matter It doesnt give off any Radiation or visible light.

So 90% of The universe cant be seen or touched ahh what is it?! Freaky huh?

I got this off of a TV show called Earth:Final conflict but i dont think they made this up, Isnt this real, anyone know? I tried a few Search engines but didnt find anything. Not that i could possible understand what this means but it still sounds supah freaky.

2. Smelly

Smelly IncGamers Member

Dark Matter does exist, and I love it's name.

3. mysnistaken

mysnistaken Banned

i dunno about the omega thing...but yeah..most of the universe is "dark matter"...and...its undetectable..or something like that

4. Savage

Savage IncGamers Member

Likewise, I've never heard of "1 Omega", but scientists have determined that only 10% of the mass of the universe can be accounted for. Dark matter is the name given to whatever comprises the leftover 90%. We don't know what it is, but we know it's there.

5. Choogy

Choogy IncGamers Member

Dark Matter...It has also been speculated about the possibilty of a dark-matter planet or somethin like that

Cant think at 2 am...may retry again when able to speak, er...think

6. Frostlion

Frostlion IncGamers Member

Actually, we do know a bit about dark matter. Black holes are dark matter, and they can be observed when they move in front of a star and it suddenly goes out, or through the effect the exert on other planets. Also, there are some gas clouds that don't give off radiation or light, but we can, once again, occasionally see them when something else passes behind it or through it.

We're still not close to finding it all, but it's not like we don't have any idea whatsoever about those 90%.

7. guspasho

guspasho IncGamers Member

It's not "1 Omega", I think they made that up for your sci-fi show, but they have the concept dead on. The quantity is simply referred to as "omega", which is probably too general to be any good in Google by itself. Try tacking on something about density of the universe or astrophysics or Edwin Hubble (I think he's the scientist to which you refer.) Omega is a mathematical variable, representing the value for the mass density of the universe. If that value is 1, then omega is just enough to stop the inertial expansion of the universe- the theory being that there should be just enough mass because nature tends to produce a lot of symmetries. It isn't all that freaky, omega is a scalar, just a number made up by physicists to easily identify an important quantity, which they arbitrarily named omega. The importance of omega is that if the mass density is less than omega there will not be enough gravity to stop the expansion and the universe will end up in a heat death (entropy wins, heat dissipates,) and if the value is greater than omega then the universe falls back on itself in a Big Crunch. Recently, evidence suggests that the expansion is accellerating, so the theory predicated on the inertial expansion of the universe is out the window.

Dark matter is not exotic. The earth and the planets are dark matter. Asteroids are dark matter. Black holes are dark matter. Interstellar dust is dark matter. It is just called that because it produces no light, therefore we can't see it, therefore we can't detect it in the universe. Dark matter is just the stuff we can't see, that's all really. There are other, non-baryonic particles that probably make up a significant portion of the mass of the universe, such as neutrinos, which were recently discovered to have mass, but I do not think scientists have a good idea what that portion is.

Also, we don't know if omega is 1, and recent evidence appears to show that it is much less (at least the last reports I saw on Slashdot said so,) so dark matter may only make up, say for example, 2/3 of the mass in the universe.

But I suppose it's always something fun to think about when you're tripping :thumbs:

WB Frost. I didn't expect you to be posting here.

8. masterazn

masterazn Banned

I don't see boobies, are boobies dark matter? :eek: