Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Ever ebayed?

Discussion in 'PvP' started by Eff, May 3, 2005.

?

Hillary V. Martha

1. Hillary would totally own that homemaker

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Martha would beat the crap out of that weak-minded wench

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Playboy would tape the event, fashionable trends flying as they are torn from their luscious bodies.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. The american people would win as both are arrested and sent to a prison colony for the rest of time.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Eff

Eff Banned

Ever ebayed?

or used anything else to buy items for d2.

i know i did when i used too play, and every time i got beaten i would feel like it was time again to buy more.

2. Gix

Gix IncGamers Member

Spending real life money on pixels is a complete waste.

3. xxraiderxx

xxraiderxx IncGamers Member

I totally agree.

4. Absolute-Fire

Absolute-Fire IncGamers Member

never spend money other than the CDs

5. PlasmaDragon

PlasmaDragon IncGamers Member

is that why you buy games, music,movies etc?

6. Balay

Balay IncGamers Member

No, the 2 sets of CD's were already too expensive for me.

Besides, aren't most ebayed items dupes (? or common mistake ?)

7. Phyrexial

Phyrexial IncGamers Member

The day I can play a game and somehow end up with games, music, and movies sitting on my desk is the day that argument would become valid.

D2 is a game where you can go into the game world and find items to use against other players. (I assume we're talking PvP since this is the PvP forum) This is not a game where whoever spends more money should have an significant advantage, or at least it shouldn't be. Also, you circumvent a large part of the game. What would people think if baseball players simply wanted to hit the ball then pay someone else to run the bases for them? Just because you don't like a part of the game doesn't mean you pay someone to do it for you.

You could say that buying gear lets you compete on equal ground with everyone else. I say, if you want to play a game where it's pure skill and finding gear over long periods of time doesn't factor into gameplay then you should go play an RTS or FPS. Not an RPG.

On Topic: No, I've never Ebayed gear.

8. Rangniheldr

Rangniheldr Banned

Maybe we should look at this at a different angle..... dont Wow players pay 20 euros a month for some pixels? Thats the same as if someone bought d2 items worth of 20 euro each month.

9. Phyrexial

There is a fundamental flaw in that argument. EVERYONE MUST PAY THAT MONTHLY FEE TO PLAY WOW! This is not the case in D2. Also, the money paid to play WoW goes to Blizzard in order to recoup the money used in order to make the game and also to maintain the servers and create new content. When you go buy something on ebay this is what you are most likely doing:

1) Supporting cheating of the worst kinds. Most item shops get their items through illegit means such as botting and/or duping. There is little doubt in my mind that new dupe methods and more advanced bots would not come out nearly as often or be nearly as prevalent if not for item shops which will pay large sums for them.

2) Destroying balance. Granted D2's balance is totally out of whack already due to mass dupes, ongoing duping, and various other cheats. However, ebaying doesn't help.

3) Helping an item shop that in 99% of cases hacks/cheats/exploits the game continue to do what it is doing.

4) Hurting competition. You will now have gear far beyond what a normal player will most likely be able to get within any similar timeframe and will most likely beat them soundly. As such, they will seek ways to even the odds and will potentially get hacks/cheat, ebay also which further perpetuates the above problems, or quit the game in which case you have just successfully ruined the game for an honest player.

This is not entirely on topic, but I found this article interesting also: http://biz.gamedaily.com/features.asp?article_id=9464&section=feature&email=

It concerns rule world money being used for ingame assets.

I think Tycho of Penny Arcade said it nicely:
    "The notion that people are already engaging in exchanges of this type in unauthorized, black-market fashion sounds pretty smart when used in a rebuttal to opponents of the new policy, but engaging in despicable behavior because others are doing so has rarely been considered an excellent defense."

10. Generator Of Chaos

Generator Of Chaos IncGamers Member

Nop, Never did, never will..

As for the reasons, for once it really shows one's true character when they pay to cheat on a game, just cause they're too lazy to do it themselfs and have a desperate need to try and look superior...What, too tired of beeing beaten by honest players who are simply better than you or have putten more effort into the game?
    Basicly they just buy a game to not play it, since item hunting is one of the most important activities in d2... Also seems to show a certain, lack of inteligence, so to speak. I mean, paying to cheat on a game? common... How sad is that?
    As to the rest, Phyrexial said it best.

11. Herald of Doom

Herald of Doom IncGamers Member

I've bought a new mouse to play diablo2, so technically I bought an item for d2. Other than that, I once gave my friend a pack of cookies for his CCBoQ after he quit. So I had to vote yes, because that pack of cookies was quite expensive, so I payed him for his CCBoQ :uhhuh:

PS: You should have made that poll public :p

HoD

12. PlasmaDragon

PlasmaDragon IncGamers Member

I wasn't trying to justify ebaying i was saying movies, games were all pixels on your computer screen. I was merely pointing out that his argument was vague.

also talking about skill based games i was top 3 in age of empires 2 while playing less than 10 hours a week, and the best local cs player while i only played it once in a while.

13. sunami

sunami Banned

Just a little food for thought, we all use duped and ebayed items. You dont think the thousands of high runes used in the game were actually found, do you? They were duped and dupers didnt trade them for shakos, they sold them for $ and the d2 economy is full of this stuff. I view spending a few dollars here and there (bought 3 items over all) same as spending $8.00 on a movie ticket, payment for entertainment.

14. RetroStar

RetroStar IncGamers Member

Buying pixels is just lame and stupid.

15. Zjadow

Zjadow IncGamers Member

i feel pity for the ones wasting their income to become better in a game, i think it's just a stupid waste of money. if you really really like the game, why don't you search for items, then trade them for runes, and keep going till u get hr's. That's anywayz the way i play the game.

16. soc

soc Banned

I like this argument, although I don't ebay, payment for entertainment. Aren't movies paying for pixels?

Edit: It doesn't matter if you have to pay (although you can sneak into movies pretty easily), your still paying, your still getting entertainment. And many people share WoW accounts. Let's say my friends are rich, and let me play, but say I don't have to pay (which is the case). Now it's even.

17. Decebal

Decebal IncGamers Member

I agree with you there! There is no balance anymore in this game! Go to the trade forum on this site and you will see the mass pumping of boted goods and runes in to the realms. But of course according to the tradeforums regulations, moral codes and moderators point of view "it's not a crime to be rich on the trade forums"...Makes you wonder what the means... if you read between the lines of course...:rolleyes:

My point is: having a tradeforum affiliated to this site that is against hacks, bots, duped runes and other cheats and at the same time allow some traders to offer their botted goods and "legit" highrunes is kind of weird...MODERATORS should open their eyes (no offense Elly or the moderator of this forum/forums except trade forums)! Of course there is never any proof.... :rolleyes:

/Dec

18. Generator Of Chaos

Generator Of Chaos IncGamers Member

when you go see a movie, at least over here, you pay for A place, the place you get depends on wich one you choose, from the one's that aren't taken. Thus in order to get a GOOD place, you have to DEDICATE yourself to it, and go there earlier, in order to be one of the first to buy a ticket.
    You don't simply walk there and get a BETTER place because you paid MORE for it..
    And in the bottom line, the place wehre you watch a movie isn't that important, sure it can be more or less comfortable, BUT, EVERYONE in the theater gets to SEE THE MOVIE. However, in d2, not EVERYONE has acess to the higher items. It's not as if you pay more and get an item first, that EVERYONE gets a few days later is it? You're the only one benefitting from it, while everyone else who can't pay for those items will be put in a place of unfair disavantage.

To put this in 5 year old lyngo, wich seems to be needed:

I the theater example, everyone gets the cookie, in d2, you're the only one with the cookie. Got it?

19. LorveN

LorveN D3 Off Topic Moderator

never done, never will. its lame.

20. Phyrexial

Common misconception. There are honest players out there, myself for example, that don't use dupes or ebayed stuff. How do I know this? I don't trade except for the most part. When I do trade, it is for gear that simply isn't rare enough or important enough to most people to be duped or sold on ebay. This is in large part because I LLD, but even in HLD it holds true.

I have had one potentially duped rune in my entire collection for the entirety of my D2 career. It's the Jah rune that sits next to my SELF FOUND Ber rune in my Enigma. The rest, including my Ohm for my CtA, was all self found. My necro fcr circlet was also self found. I *gasp* crafted my own necro ammy. It's not "godly" or anything, but it gets me around. Despite this, I'd like to say I'm still fairly competitive. I've dueled some players on these forums with gear worth 10x or more than my own and I think I can hold my own. When I've taken challenges, I've won alot more than I've lost.

Don't assume every player on bnet is made of the same low life caliber as the lamers you see in pubbies. The honest players are there, they just don't make as a big a roar as the dishonest ones.