Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Events That Would Shake Your Belief System

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by SaroDarksbane, Oct 10, 2006.

1. SaroDarksbane

SaroDarksbane IncGamers Site Pal

Events That Would Shake Your Belief System

Everyone has beliefs about the world, religion, etc. Most of us hang onto them closely, but in every belief system there are implicit assumptions that certain events will not happen in the future, and if these events were to actually occur, that belief system would have to be re-evaluated.

For instance, I consider myself a Christian. Events that could shake my belief system include:

1. The discovery of another sentient species.
    2. The creation of a self-aware, truely artificially intelligent machine.
    3. The discovery of a method to create life at the cellular level.
    4. The discovery of a method to make humans immortal.

Any of those would force me to re-evaluate my belief system. What events would shake your "faith"?

2. bg1256

bg1256 IncGamers Member

This is a tough question.

For me, proof that the universe is an accident. I don't think such proof will ever exist; I think it will only ever be theory, but that would shake my belief system to the core.

I'm sure I'll think of more throughout the day... seminary has a way of challenging one's faith intensely.

3. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

I was thinking about this earlier, actually.
    I consider myself mostly agnostic. But I remember in Biology class talking about all this complicated stuff RNA does and it hit me "All this came about as a result of blind physical processes?" From muscles to cells, living things are extremely complicated. We know more about faraway galaxies than we do the human brain.
    So, I suppose some of evidence that life can't come about out of blind physical processes would shake my "agnostic faith".
    Oh, and Saro, I believe all of those 4 things will eventually happen if science keeps marching forward :)

4. PFS

PFS IncGamers Member

Fine me a fossil rabbit inside the stomach of a fossil dinosaur and I'll have to rethink some things.

God(s) dropping by to say hi and telling me how he REALLY meant us to intepret his/her/it's words and intent for us.

Aliens would alter my world view a bit.

5. SaroDarksbane

Indeed, the processes of a single "simple" living cell are mind boggling in the extreme.
    Perhaps, but perhaps not. =)

That is why they would shake my belief system if they were to occur.

6. Machina

Machina IncGamers Member

For something to happen after I'm dead. Weird how I'll only ever find out if I'm wrong, never if I'm right, oh well.

7. SaroDarksbane

Not quite what you are looking for, but it's something. =P

8. Moosashi

Moosashi IncGamers Member

I'm with PFS. It would take an extremely anachronistic fossil.

However, I don't consider evolution a "belief system" or something I have "faith" in. My "belief system" is that my individual beliefs about the world are always subject to change and disproof. I can't think of anything that would change that short of the sudden revelation that I have no way to reliably sense the world.

9. SaroDarksbane

Well, yeah, otherwise no event would ever challenge your beliefs. That was the entire point of the thread. =)

10. ael

ael IncGamers Member

Who said that God only created humans? Who said that God only created earth? As you can see, God created a lot of other flying stuff in space. And If you are a christian then I presume that you accept that God created the Sun, Pluto the asteroids and that friggin blavk hole on Jupiter. So why couldnt God create a race separate from ours?

Edit btw:

Animals clearly have feelings, no one could ever deny that. I often see dogs on the street cry or I see that they are afraid or suffering. Also If you ever had a dog then you could tell if he/she was happy or not. So if animals have feelings, why wouldnt they have a soul? People have feelings and a soul... So at some level imo feelings and the soul are connected. That brings us to our little dilemma. According to christian religion animals dont have a soul, but they do have feelings. So either animals have a soul too and the whole religious thingy is marmelade, or either people dont have souls either, thus making the religious thingy marmelade again. So thats something that is shaking a bit my beliefs... Just something I was thinking of in the past 5 mins.

11. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

There are many questions opened up in Christianity if we discover aliens. Namely, did Jesus die for their sins? Did he die on their planet too? Did God make both of us in His image? How is that possible if we look different? Why aren't they mentioned in The Bible? On what day did He make their planet?

12. ael

ael IncGamers Member

Good points...

Afaik Jesus died for our sins only. According to the Bible God created the light and the darkness, then He made earth and the man and the woman. And then he took a rest. But after that the Bible doesnt say anything if He created something(body?) else or not. Maybe the `others`were created ina more perfect way than us, thus they dont need salvation.

Ok Im starting to talk horse lemons...

*Goes out wondering about stuff*

13. Drosselmeier

Drosselmeier IncGamers Member

Someone building a machine that produces great literature would make me question a lot of the ideas I have about reality.

14. Echod16

Echod16 IncGamers Member

i read an article in Discovery Magazine (don't know about its credibility) that some scientist has found a way to reverse singular cell aging so that it could cycle from growing old to growing back to youth and old again, making it "Immortal"

the gene codes he/she changed weren't alway consistent, but it has been done

by the way, it they used stem cells

15. eds01

eds01 IncGamers Member

Personaly, as an agnostic ***, i'd have to say that the main thing that would shake my beliefs would be god dropping by to say "hi" or something, or wakeing up dead and in heaven or sheol or gehennah (not that I'd be here <_< >_>) or something.

16. innorton38

innorton38 IncGamers Member

If the Pirates won the World Series, I'd have to think seriously about my views on a "higher power"....

17. S Z

S Z IncGamers Member

Given that I believe I will die a virgin, losing my virginity would shake my belief system :wink3:

18. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Very interesting, since all four are most likely inevitable.

That's fascinating, because one of the only things that would shake my belief system is if we were to discover that we're alone in the galaxy (not even the universe, just this galaxy). Because it's so amazingly, impossibly unlikely that this could be the case that it would make me question everything I think I know. There are simply too many stars like ours and too much time available for this to be true. In fact, I'd be surprised if there weren't hundreds or even thousands of other races in our galaxy.

The human mind is a machine too, it's just more squishy. It's a huge network of switches, just like a computer; one could theoretically take a snapshot of a human brain and create a model out of electronic components. It'd be huge but it'd be identical to the biological one.

Some advances in electronics and a lot of advances in neuroscience will be necessary for this, though.

Can't we do this already? Or do you mean understanding genetics to the point that we can create life from the ground up?

This is inevitable. The only reason nature didn't make us immortal is that it isn't selected for...

Amazing, isn't it? Some religious people claim that believing the world is no more than physical processes acting blindly takes the wonder out of it, if you ask me it's exactly the opposite. That all this could fall out of a few simple rules of physical behaviour... mind boggling.

Not really, that just means rabbits are older than we thought.

Depends which god you're talking about.

Depends what you mean by "a machine". If one makes a perfect replica of the human mind out of electrical components, is that a machine?

19. ModeratelyConfused

ModeratelyConfused Banned

Wow, it's like we share the same exact mind, but my part of it doesn't spam as much.

20. HaLoPhReAk

HaLoPhReAk IncGamers Member

lol Ouch :grin: . BTW Dondrei does that have to do with the band "Disturbed" in any way?

Uhhmmm back on topic: I'm athiest, so for me to believe in god...I think it'd have to be something quite big...like him (or is it (if it exists) a she....?) to make Bush smart (just kidding just kidding...well kinda)...or maybe the apocalypse....something huge along those lines :laugh: *waits for republicans to flame me* Wow, i really use ...'s alot, is this a bad habbit?