Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Evan is starting anew (sorta long)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Ev_, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Ev_

Ev_ IncGamers Member

Evan is starting anew (sorta long)

Tomorrow I'm packing up my computer and shipping it out.
    The rest of the week I'll be packing the rest of my stuff.
    Friday I fly to Rhode Island.

Most of you have probably heard, but I haven't posted about it since it became truly official. A week from today I start work on my second college degree, a Bachelor of Fine Arts in graphic design, from the Rhode Island School of Design.

This is really the most significant and important thing that I've ever done in my life. It's so vital to me that I'm putting myself $100,000 in debt to do this.

This time last year I had just graduated from USC and was absolutely thrilled to finally be done with school "forever." I had been so utterly sick of going to classes for crap I didn't enjoy, stuck in the routine of "class, work, projects, sleep, repeat." I was tired of that, I was tired of a lot of my friends, I was all in all tired of myself. I had serious thoughts about dropping absolutely everything, buying a plane ticket to somewhere, and starting over, cutting off all connections from my previous life. I was just plain unhappy.

My last semester at USC was when I realized I'd rather be doing graphic design for a career than computer programming. I set up a design internship for the summer and thought "yes, things are gonna change." They did, somewhat, but after my internship was over I realized that I wanted design school. It was too late to get into schools that fall, so I had a year to wait. And for the last 10 months that's what I've been doing. Waiting.

I worked freelance, and liked it, and got by. But I wasn't too focused on pushing my services very far. I spent a LOT of time with my two sisters, brother in law, and nephew, all of whom I love to death. Other than that, though, I've been pretty much alone since last August. I'd occasionally go out with my sister and her friends, but I haven't met a single person on my own here in San Diego. I saw some of my friends from LA occasionally, but everyone is now kind of off doing their own thing. Most of my time has been spent doing work or otherwise keeping to myself.

But all of this was a concious choice. I was just kind of idling until the wait was over, and I was so determined to get out of here that I just didn't want to start anything new here that there'd be a chance of me missing it if I left. I did all of this, and up until a week or so ago I really didn't even know if I'd actually be leaving.

And now it's here. The fresh start that I've been dying for (but wasn't really sure existed) for almost two years. I'm moving 3000 miles away, to a place where I know absolutely no one, to pursue something I really love doing. No one there knows what to expect from me, and I can make first impressions that I want to make now. It's a fresh slate.

I really don't want to think about what would've happened to me without this. I needed this, and I think I would have just continued downhill without it.

So I won't be around much for the next week, as my computer will be getting abused in the back of some UPS truck. I will be around a bit though when I can hop on my sister's computer.

Come Friday, I'm a new person.

2. DaviddeJong

DaviddeJong IncGamers Member

"This is really the most significant and important thing that I've ever done in my life. It's so vital to me that I'm putting myself $100,000 in debt to do this. "

Damn, that's a lot of money...... And I thought my 8,000 Euro study-debt was big!!!

I hope it all works out!

Rhode Island..... Idyllic and rustic ain't it?

EDIT: The post sounded quite sad, I sure hope the new surroundings and people will get your spirits up. :thumbsup:

David.

3. Freet

Freet IncGamers Member

I disagree. The post didn't sound sad. Instead, it was brimming with determination and hope.

We're behind you 100% Ev. Good luck and God speed.

Oh, and don't forget your friends. We can help you with home work. :thumbsup:

4. KnightFall

KnightFall IncGamers Member

It's a very big step to move away from all you know. I truly hope it goes really well for you. I have wanted to do this for the last year or so but haven't been brave enough to do anything about it yet. One day, one day...

KnightFall

5. DaviddeJong

DaviddeJong IncGamers Member

Yeah, the story was (IMO) sad, but it had a lot of optimism in it (about leaving to RI)!

Oh, yeah, fine-arts homework...... I can draw horses, will that be of any use? :p

David.

6. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

Best of luck Ev. I am happy for you.

7. Hatsepsut

Hatsepsut Banned

You go! :D:clap:

8. Ranger14

Ranger14 IncGamers Member

Good luck and safe travels, Ev! :)

9. Keldaris

Keldaris IncGamers Member

Good Luck EV!!!

10. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

When your package passes through Columbus I'll be sure to wave at it. And your plane when it flies by. Best of luck to you Ev! I know you'll kick some east coast ass!

11. Nos2

Nos2 IncGamers Member

Congratulations Ev.

It makes a huge difference going to work and doing something that you truly enjoy as your career. The biggest bonus I have found is that your employer will actually pay you to have fun and enjoy life.

Sometimes moving away from what you are comfortable with, breaking your old routines, and starting over fresh can be the best thing could do for yourself. Just remember to set your standards high and accept nothing less. It could be difficult at first, but you have a whole community of wonderful people here to support you.

As far as the whole $100K debt goes, so what. It's only money. I am in the same boat, my friend, and I honestly wouldn't trade a thing. You may have to spend a lot of years to bring your finances back into the black, but as long as you enjoy your time it will be money well spent.

So here is to you. :drink:

Enjoy yourself and keep us posted.

12. llad12

llad12 IncGamers Member

Hey ... a new adventure in your life as a professional student. ;)

Best of luck

13. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

Well said.

14. tydon

tydon IncGamers Member

Good Luck

(You will still do the college football fun, correct?)

Jeez its been a long time since I have posted or been here...

15. Madness

Madness IncGamers Member

Cool man, lotsa luck!

Dont forget your playlist.

16. Ev_

Ev_ IncGamers Member

Turned on my computer one last time before I pack it up. thanks for all the well wishes everyone. This was meant as a happy post. I have been quite happy for the last year, despite the long wait. This year has helped me figure out a lot of things about myself. Now I'm just excited.

Couldn't agree more.

17. piff

piff IncGamers Member

You likely won't read this, but you've made the best choice. 100k is worth a lifetime of not being miserable from your job. I just got that advice today from my girlfriend's stepdad, "...it's just important that you like your job." That seems to be what you are following. It might get a little chilly for you during the winters, but you'll love it here up north.

18. bobmarley

bobmarley IncGamers Member

God Speed.