Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Evaluate Concept

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by DaemonAkuma, Sep 15, 2006.

1. DaemonAkuma

DaemonAkuma IncGamers Member

Evaluate Concept

20 Points Iron Golem
    20 Points Golem Mastery
    20 Points Poison Nova
    1 Decrepify
    1 Summon Resist
    1 Corpse Explosion
    20 bone Spirit

I finally decided Iron Golem was the best choice; I do not like skeletons that much (no big reason; just not my style, not flaming anyone who does like them). The rest I figured I'd place into Revive and into support skills for them, but probably only about 5 in revive and 1 into skeleton and skeleton mastery (for the bonuses). I also plan to put some into bone armor. I will be wearing Trang Oul's Avatar set along with a wand with +2 all necro skills.

My question is if this would work through nightmare, or if skeletons are just an avoidable phenomena. This way I would still have good levels on the skills I only placed 1 SP in (CE, Summon R., skeleton mastery, Revive, Bone Armor) and not needlessly sacrifice any skill points. However, I have never played in Hell difficulty (just recently got DSL so I'm online for the first time). I'm looking for the guidance of fellow necros of more experience of improvements made on this that do not stray too far from the original idea. Iron Golem, by the way, I figured would work well at lv20 because of thorns and with Decrepify would, theoretically?, provide a 920% damage return (again, I'm not completely familiar with Hell, I only have my ignorant theories). Clay is too weak, Blood deals too much damage to the necro, and fire is useless against fire immune (which happens alot even in NM). I would probably equip a spear on the alternate equipment with a LOT of poison damage on it (and poison charms hopefully) so that even with low dex I can still poison them from behind the meat shield, then use Poison Nova to hurt them and prevent healing, and tear them apart with CE and Thorns.

Input is welcome and appreciated :smiley:

2. zooply

zooply IncGamers Member

well the only thing is looking at your skills, besides the golem, you don't really have anything pumped =( i mean nova & spirit are, but they lack synergies. revives and the golem are good as meatshields, but i don't see much killing power in this =( but a person more knowledgeable than me should come along soon enough and help you out more than i can. =)

3. DaemonAkuma

Yeah, synergies is something I am not familiar with that much. Like I said, this is my first time back really.

I had thought about synergies; the only drawback is that with an improvment on synergies came a lack of versatility and adaptability. The real killing power against mobs comes from the combination of Thorns, Nova, and CE used after Decrepify is cast. That should blow the heck out of any mob. Bosses are the downside (like usual). I would have to rely on bone spirit and Thorns damage almost exclusively, unless I brought in a few revived creatures. Perhapst I should synergise bone spirit w/ something? I probably will add 1 point into skills that boost Bone armor and bone spirit, so that their level is increased more by the Set items and by the staff and ammy, and hopefully rings I equip.

4. zooply

zooply IncGamers Member

ya bone armor actually gets more boosts from it's synergies than actual points into it =/

how long ago did you play? i don't think thorns or im is really as viable as they used to be cause they upped the health on beasties (not sure how much for each difficulty setting though). you could try looking up d2items (i don't think i can paste links here) and they have a points thing (click the 'skills' tab at the top of the page) that may help you. but ya the synergies do cut back on versatility though. also synergies only boost up to lvl 20, so if you have say lvl 20 spirit and lvl 20 spear, and boost spear by like 5, spirit won't receive any synergy boost from the extra 5 pts

5. Ironwill

Ironwill IncGamers Member

Sounds like a Venom / Bone hybrid to me.

If I were you I would focus on both maxing the Poison Tree and Bone Spear/Spirit synergies.

Even if it means reducing your Golem Mastery.

Seriously with all the +skills you'll get with Trangs Set and the extremely easy to find/buy jewelry/wands/heads even a 5 hard pts into the golem of your choice and golem mastery that will be more than enough to make the perfect tank.

However until you get a decent Poison and Bone, your killing rate will be unbearable slow IMO.

6. chrislindsay

chrislindsay IncGamers Member

"Improve my killing power, eh? Let´s do it!" --Homer Simpson

Two things right off the bat: golem mastery is the tragic hero of the summon tree--a wonderful idea, but with too many flaws to be viable in and of itself. Two, unfortunately, poison nova by itself isn´t really workable as even a secondary method of dealing damage later in the game...

Welcome back, though!

7. DaemonAkuma

So I should devote say, five points in Iron G and in Golem Mastery and let the skill+s from Trang's do the rest. That leaves me wtih 30 SP. So with these I should probably master a viable skill with Synergy. Probably Bone Spear since it effects BoneSpirit. Any other suggestions?

8. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Welcome Newcomer to The Darkness. Grab a brew and feel free to raise some corpses.

Read the guides. They form a perfect introduction to the new synergies. Reding them should quickly give you a feel for what has worked already.

9. garion

garion IncGamers Member

hmm..the spirit and the nova will be greatly underpowered in hell..and im not sure that the golem will be able to crowd control enough for you in hell either...=/....im guessing that if this is viable it will be slow going...sorry

10. DaemonAkuma

Okay, I got the recipe allsorted out. Thanks to those who contributed :)

11. Bladewind

Bladewind IncGamers Member

Maxing out Iron Golem only improves its defence and not its damage nor hp. So you will not have a real strong killer or tank. If u want a superb tank max golem mastery and blood golem. If you want a golem that can actually kill, max fire golem and leave IG at only 1 pt.

However, 1 golem can never offer enough crowd control. Similarly an unsynergised BS or PSN Nova is too weak for even NM work. Sorry this build cant work well....

12. DaemonAkuma

I am stuck at deciding between fire golem and Iron golem.

Some sites I have reads say that iron G, combined with a Thorns merc and amplifydamage/decrep, is the "only? good crowd killer in Hell." Then I have also read on the progress of both golems and can see that Fire golem has amazing advantages in health and damage (es. physically immune), heals from fire magic (which Diablo and Baal both implement) and has the aura. I'll probably invest points more into my offensive spells earlier, but when I get to about lvl 60-70 it'll be crunch time. So please list advantages and disadvantages of each, as you have experienced them. Thanks again. Oh, and yes I have revised my original plan; thank you all for your input.

13. DaemonAkuma

Revised Concept:

Max Spirit. Boost spear, wall, and cage (for the added synergies with the +skill items; the +skills will take all three to lv20). 1 Point into all poison skills (again, +skill synergies) and Poison Nova. This way it isn't stealing many skill points from the bone tree, but Nova can still prevent monsters from healing (as I've read they are prone to do quite quickly in Hell). 1 point into every curse up to decrepify (the right side of the tree) and 1 into lower resist. As for summons, still 1 point skeleton and skeleton mastery and revive. 5 points into summon resist. The rest of the points (after Spirit is nicely juiced) can go into the respective golem and mastery.

Better?

14. Bladewind

Bladewind IncGamers Member

Synergies work only with hard points to them, so +skills won't help. If bone takes up too much skill points, try poison. You only need 60 skillpoints to work, and decent psn gear (3 trang piece, glove belt + shield) is more affordable than bone gear.

15. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

That's complete bull. Thorns doesn't work with IG and return damage, while a useful help, is not a main crowd killer.

Take a look at the Golem FAQ for some general info on Golems.