Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Euthanasia

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sokar Rostau, May 16, 2008.

1. Sokar Rostau

Sokar Rostau IncGamers Member

Euthanasia

No real need to ask a question so here's a link to a support group, have at it.

It was legal in Australia for a couple of years around the turn of the century.

I was going to dig up more links but my intarwebs are being *****es.

2. Mcwhopper

Mcwhopper IncGamers Member

Re: Euthanasia

As I'm guessing that you want debate the pros and cons:

I'm pro euthanasia. It's legal where I come from. Forcing people to keep suffering, without there being any hope for improvement is just plain cruelty.

It's your life, your decision.

But this only applies to terminal patients, assisted suicide for emo's is an obvious no-no. (Emo's are not mentally capable enough to decide this, same with heart broken teens).

3. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

IMO they have to do it by an act of themselves and if it's just pressing a button. Also, it must be a decision for reasons which most probably will not change (e.g. massive pain from a hopeless case of cancer). Helping somebody to die because he blew his exam is inacceptable, as the chances are quite high that he will get over it. That's just the moral side of it, however.

Regarding what has to be legal, laws also have to be made in a way that they can be applied in a reasonable fashion, else people will abuse them to gain an advantage or they will simply be ignored. In Germany it's not allowed to do it actively, but passive assisted suicide (i.e. knowingly providing them with the means) is not punished. That means, you cannot cut their wrists, but you can give them a knife. It also depends on the case, however, else you will have to face the consequences for denial of assistance (to survive) or murder (e.g. if you benefit significantly from the person's death).

I for myself have a problem with the word euthanasia because the Nazis abused the word so heavily. They murdered mentally disabled persons and called it euthanasia. In some cases they went so far that persistent bedwetters in orphanages got declared as mentally disordered and were killed - I'm not joking. A lot of people had to hide their mentally disabled family members to avoid that.

4. EpicDevia

EpicDevia IncGamers Member

good words.

5. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

But what if their faculties are impaired?

I don't see what getting over it has to do with it, that's their choice.

6. krischan

You can surely provide a killing machine which reacts to a yes/no, on/off or 0/1 thing he is able to perform. If somebody is unable to interact with anything, we won't know anyway if he wants to die.

If somebody wants to die because of something which I believe to be rather unimportant, I won't help him. If he really wants it, I cannot prevent him to jump off a cliff, but he cannot expect from me to get involved into something I might regret for the rest of my life. As I said, that's a moral consideration, I can only speak about myself.

7. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

No, I mean what if his judgement is impaired? These things often incapacitate the mind. What if that person tells their spouse before this illness or whatever occurs that they wish to be terminated in that situation?

There's a difference between you saying you don't want to help and saying other people should not be allowed to help.

8. krischan

That's right.

I for myself wouldn't do it actively in any case. I could accept it if others will play an active role in the killing, however, as long as there are no doubts about the person's will, the situation in which he is and the helper's motivers.

I have roughly the same point about abortion. I for myself probably wouldn't do it if I was a pregnant woman, but that doesn't mean that I will disallow others to make a different decision.

9. Tanooki

Tanooki IncGamers Member

The Nazis were a group of humans left unchecked, not some alien race. Anything they did is something we're capable, as a society, of doing again. If we fail to learn that all human life is sacred, we're walking down the same avenue and pretending it's OK because we're on the other side of the street.

Abortion, euthanasia... mass murder. Just different sides of the same coin.

10. th5418

th5418 Banned

How is euthanasia mass murder at all?

11. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Is this about euthanasia or the "right to die"? Euthanasia makes me think of one person killing another to end their pain/suffering. "Right to die" sounds more like what you are talking about - a person's right to terminate their own life.

12. krischan

IMO that's just saying no to everything to avoid taking responsibility, but it's not as simple as you want the issue to be. If you say no, you are responsible for the suffering instead. That's a dilemma, of course, but whatever the decision will be, you will have to live with the consequences. For example, if you deny giving a dying person a chance to shorten his pain, will you take responsibility and e.g. stay until he is dead ?

There are grey areas, of course, but it's like that with any issue. IMO that's not a reason for a radical "no".

Euthanasia (ancient Greek for good death) is a willing act of providing help at another person's suicide.

13. Mcwhopper

Wow that's pretty short sighted right there

Mass murder involves a lot people dying while they didn't want to and where there is no reason for them to die, other then some psycho going wild.
    Euthanasia is aiding someone who wishes to end his own live, for a proper reason.

Letting someone suffer because of your own idealogy , means that you now infringe on someones right to decide what he or she wants to do with his or her life. That's pretty arrogant.

14. kernelpops

kernelpops IncGamers Member

A living Will comes close to this, but doesn't cross the line IMO.

If I am severly damaged in a car crash, and have no chance of waking up, or living a normal life I do not want life saving measures performed. Just let me die please.

although to accelerate the same end result is illegal?

Last edited: May 16, 2008
  15. krischan

Better declare your will regarding such a situation in advance, else it might happen that you will be kept alive for let's say another 50 years.

Without the consent of that person it's murder, even if he is unable to express himself. Some people might even say that it's murder because of that in particular.

16. kernelpops

kernelpops IncGamers Member

Thats what a "living will" is here.

and yes to accelerate the end result is murder. Dr Kovorkian has proven that.

17. Tanooki

Tanooki IncGamers Member

It's a different side on the coin of "all life is not sacred".

18. Mcwhopper

Life is sacred, so you should extent it no matter what?
    Even if life becomes a living hell, then you still need to extent it?

If you feel that a person is sacred in stead of his *life* then you would aid him in his last wishes.

19. buttershug

buttershug IncGamers Member

So the not wanting to die is ok if there is a reason for them to die?
    From what I understand where it is legal it ends up being used more than the number of people that want to die.

20. Tanooki

Tanooki IncGamers Member

Many people who attempt suicide are actually looking for help. There was a college student (I live in a college town) nearly a decade ago that took potassium cyanide and THEN woke up his roommate to ask for help.

Unfortunately for the young man, the only way to save him is an oral ingestion and a shot done within minutes.. but the nearest town that had those supplies was an hour away.

The paramedics say he was dead when they got there (but I know one of the first ones who made it to the scene, and he told me the kid was still alive). He was puking toxic vomit and cyanide gas as he lay dying. (Nine people ended up in the hospital due the fumes.) The dorm had to be closed and aired out before it was safe to go back in. (Google: grinnell college student suicide cyanide)

*edit* You have your Hollywood feel good suicides like Million Dollar Baby, I had this during HS.)