Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Europe Trade Forum - ETF Diablo Duelling

Discussion in 'PvP' started by KTang, Sep 14, 2008.

1. KTang

KTang <font color="#93ad4f">Official Diablo 3 Item Value

Europe Trade Forum - ETF Diablo Duelling

PLEASE NOTE THIS IS ONLY OPEN TO EUROPE

Hi folks,

KTang here presenting you with ETF Diablo Duelling, a weekly event where by ETFers can meet up to duel with manners and for fun! A place where we can escape the terrors brought after patch 1.09. There are no Hammerdins, there are no Windies and most of all...theres barely ANY Enigmas. Now you may say, whats the fun? Well, that is exactly the fun of it, everyone is on an equal playing scale and ETF duelling is made to promote experimental builds and team work.

This idea originated from Friendly Duelling which was hosted by Los Sin Nombre and Mule, both very old ETFers who did a fantastic job hosting an event which everyone got involved with. A year or two later, myself and Megamek attempted to reopen an event but due to time constraints we weren’t able to do it as weekly.

Well now with more enthusiastic ETFers willing to help out, and more time on my behalf, I think we can make a duelling event truly work again. This event will take place once a week, and every now and then we’ll do certain events, such as Set Items only ;) Lets see what people make of that ^^

So, I’ll copy the FAQ I used from Fight Club (our previous experiment) and hopefully that’ll answer all your questions.

1) Is the event both Ladder and Non-Ladder?

We are planning to make it open both to L and NL, but we’re going to start with Ladder, depending on the reception of NL players ;)

2) How do you expect us to behave?

Well its simple, we don’t appreciate rule breakers!

3) Will we be expecting NKing and goldstealing and [insert public duelling trait here]?

No! We will be implementing penalties that will counter these offences

4) What day of the week will it be and what time?

Theres no set answer for this at the moment, it depends when people have their time constraints. Most likely it’ll be in the evening, around 6-7pm GMT.

5) How will I know?

I will be producing a contact list which will automatically email everyone of the time.

So you may be wondering what sort of guidelines are we looking at? Well I haven’t composed a full list of rules at the moment but this is roughly what we used before.

Dos:
    • We expect all participants to behave in a well-behaved manner; we will not tolerate any rude behaviour or insults. This not like the TC, you cannot flame whoever you want because they killed you or whatever.
    • Duelling ONLY begins when both duellers have notified that they are ready. This means no leaving town and then just banging them as soon as you enter Blood Moor
    • Show full respect in duelling. This means saying gg or whatever, similar to the first guideline except more general. You should always be courteous and say thank you

Don’ts:
    • No NKing (naked killing), running to town, gold stealing or cheating is allowed. If you are caught doing this purposely (and we know what is on purpose) you will be warned.
    • No use of dupes, hacking or banned items are allowed. This means ANYTHING that is banned from trading in the forum. Proof of this will result in asking of removal, and possible banning. So lets try to avoid that
    • At the moment we are discussing Non-Native skills to your class as in Enigma on non-sorcs. We probably will NOT be allowing this; however depending on the ‘imbalance’ we will see.
    • Try not to make uber chars. It’s not about winning, it’s about having fun. No prizes are issued and if it makes your ego bigger by making a 15k hammerdin killing everyone then so be it, but don’t expect to be loved

ITEM LIMITATIONS WILL NOT BE ACTIVATED FOR THE FIRST FEW ATTEMPTS

Other

The games will be held in Nightmare, allowing a balance for characters such as Fireclaw druids and Lightning javas as such, but preventing super strength of Sorcs.
    Mercs are also not allowed.

If you are interested in participating, please sign up by emailing the following:

[email protected]
    Forum Name:
    Ladder or Non-Ladder:
    Account Name:
    Characters likely to be used:

This will allow me to make up a tally and will help me look out for things too ^^ So thanks guys. If you have any suggestions with rules, please include them in the email.

Hope that’s all,

KT

Last edited: Sep 18, 2008
  2. lookbehindyou

lookbehindyou IncGamers Member

Re: Europe Trade Forum - ETF Diablo Duelling

Sound like fun I'll send a mail later.
    I'm most likely to make some low lvl chars 9 or 29 is it only reserved for high lvl duels ?
    Would the skill battle cry be allowed? It sort of works like a curse although you need to be close to cast it.

3. noodleOrb

noodleOrb IncGamers Member

I think you should either allow any class to use any non native skill or no classes to use any non native skill Think it would be more fair instead of picking and choosing.

also wouldn't it be easier to sign up in this thread than via email. Just my thoughts

4. wizAdept

wizAdept IncGamers Member

You do understand if you allowed cta and players build characters that dont suck then hammerdins won't pk them in 1 hit?

But whatever carry on ep-jr, whatever makes the game fun for you guys who still can't adapt to d2 after 1.10

5. TienJe

TienJe IncGamers Member

its the garbad of EU!

6. Lawlyer

Lawlyer IncGamers Member

Pretty good idea, however those limitations would hurt a lot of builds too much.
    Also, a thing as simple as a good manner duelling channel would be sufficient assuming that people are cool with unwritten rules.

The solution to the broken enigma ( only in some builds though ) is simple - ban any pots. The first thing that stroke me after a 5 year break were mana pots spewing outta everyone's belts. Because mana-intensive builds ( ww barbs, bone spammers necros etc ) just can't live without em while teleporting like hoes. And while Insight on switch may help, this cancels out CTA switches and leaves open for attacks.

wizAdept - it's not a matter of adapting but attitude. I say this as someone who played smiters, liberators and trappers in 1.09, and now I just cannot force myself to create a palladin char other than a mule.

7. lookbehindyou

lookbehindyou IncGamers Member

Whats a "garbad" , I dont think we have those where I come from :scratchchin:

8. Furyan

Furyan IncGamers Member

Great initiative, absolutely sounds appealing! I'm in :thumbup:

I have a few ideas/remarks though. Reading the rules I saw that there's a lot of limitations, like not using poison except from original skills, limited FRW, limited DR, no teleporting except for Sorcs etc... Very well, but doesn't that limit the base of participants a bit? I took a look at my chars (all of them, not just the one dueller I have) and I have to tear off half of their gear in order to be allowed to participate. Like BotD uses poison, but that isn't allowed since it's not a native skill. Smite has knockback, which isn't allowed. My Frenzybarb uses the Fanaticism auro from Beast to reach his IAS breakpoint, but Fanaticism is no native shill, thus not allowed. Also my Frenzybarb naturally has more than 95 FRW when Frenzied, and so on and so on.

You also state that teleport will be allowed for "weaker" builds, which are useless without it. But where do you draw the line of "being too weak" without teleport?

Wouldn't it be better to just make up behavior rules (like no NK, say "go" before duels etc), but leave gear and items for what they are? Since most duellers (especially experimental builds) use tons of non-native skills and items. All my PvM characters (which are nearly all of them) I use to fun duel with occasionally have something that's on the list of limitations. Most importantly the chance to cast skills and curses. If I have to tear off all items my chars are equipping that have cast chances of some sort, they have nearly no gear left. Additionally I also wonder what you'll do with recasting cyclone armor, drinking mana pots for ES sorcs and more of that. I wonder where you draw the line of what is allowed and what is not.

Imo when dueling with people from ETF, there is no need for item limitations. Those limitations you call out there are mostly things that pubbies use to annoy the hell out of people. But when dueling in private, without having those brats around, such measures aren't required I think. I think the only thing that you'll reach with (some of) those limitations is a lot of discussions of what is allowed and what's not.

Just trying to help here, take it as positive criticism :thumbup:

9. KTang

Thanks for the various input.

I'll provide a general suggestion/answer for now since I've got a massive headache, for the first few games we'll attempt at no rules just manners, and will see how it comes along.

The point of FD was not a competition, it wasn't who had the strongest char, it was an experimentation of builds. But the people I see commenting don't seem to be ETFers anyway. FD was a success due to the experimentation and limitation, people were happy to try new builds without the fear of someone bringing along a hammerdin to every game. So before you get the wrong idea, I said:

ETF duelling is made to promote experimental builds and team work.

Its not a superpowered slugfest.

I'll answer specific questions in a later edit/post ;)

'also wouldn't it be easier to sign up in this thread than via email. Just my thoughts'

Because it makes making an emailing list not only easier but a bit more private for those not looking to expose their emails.

Furyan -> Great input, perhaps a bit anal on some aspects about BOTD, you're entirely right. If you want to know, I got a lot of the rules from Clan Honor. We'll definately leave items such as BOTD on, I was emphasising mainly the stacking of charms. Smiters do have KB but I meant KB from items. The Frenzy Fanat would be a general any, but frenzy as a frw bonus would be allowed, perhaps I should have expressed a frw limit on bowazons and such instead. Unfortunately with the teleport question, weakness is a judgement rather than fact so it does depend on the build.

I believe you're right with the behavior rules for now, and we'll see how we can go with no rules for a few weeks. Recasting will be allowed, but I believe mana pots won't be allowed. Someone suggested that but it sounds like a great idea, if Enigma were allowed, although I particularly don't want Enigma to be used frequently, since thats kind of what I'm trying to avoid. Although on NL, I think it'll be more acceptable. Its just on Ladder theres a lower spread of wealth, so having an enigma can be seriously disadvantageous to another person. Maybe I'll provide a different NL ruleset.

TienJe -> I misunderstood what Garbad meant, but it was explained to me ;) And I thought you meant garbage :whistling:

Lawlyer -> Thanks for the suggestions. We do have a Public Chat ETF anyway, but as I've said in this edit already I think a consideration of the rules will be processed again, but they seemed to work last time ;)

KT

Last edited: Sep 14, 2008
  10. Uncle_Mike

Uncle_Mike D2 PvP Moderator

I haven't read the thread yet, but guys, please act in a civil manner :)

Rule suggestions are welcome as long as they are constructive (I assume) :)

I'll write more once i've read the whole thing :)

11. TienJe

TienJe IncGamers Member

maybe you did understand me correctly :whistling:

yohOohOOHO!!

edit: why don't you guys just play on d2r?

12. theheft

theheft IncGamers Member

Why doesnt everyone just make low level characters....then no broken items or builds really....apart from hammerdins of course....

13. KTang

I googled it, nice suggestion but it'd be nice to use builds such as Singers and stuff. And not EVERYTHING after 1.09 was bad/really really strong ;x

KT

14. Furyan

Furyan IncGamers Member

Sounds good mate :thumbup: And yeah, I'll be dueling on NL only, since I didn't play the new ladder yet. But I agree that on an early ladder having Enigma is a serious advantage in contrary to others. Keep up the good work!

15. Dizzymjewu

Dizzymjewu IncGamers Member

I'm new to team duelling so that's something i'd definitely want to give a try. My Trang Oul necro is about ready (not finished, just ready) for it :)

Theheft has a good point, that team vs. team lld duels can be mighty fun too! It'll take me a while to rebuild my 18 bowa again though, or any other level 18 char.

Expect my signup mail later today KTang :)

16. Cppo-The-Wild

Cppo-The-Wild IncGamers Member

Cool idea KT. i just started ladder so i can't participate in that but if you decide to duel in NL my wolf is ready to bite and scratch you guys :p

LLD idea in ladder however sounds very appealing once i've got some wealth. i'm in a hurry now and can't comment on the rules section but i'll get back to you

-Cppo

17. Neuuubeh

Neuuubeh IncGamers Member

I'm in, however I do find some of the rules quite weird. Instead of capping frw speed you could just ask people to not desynch. At least not on purpose..

I also find the rule about Enigma use a bit weird. Such things are best left to decide on "the battlefield". Of course if both duelers have enigma, it should be allowed. If only one has and this puts the other one to huge disadvantage, he could simply be asked to not use it..

As long as noone is cocky/badmannered or w/e, I think most of those rules drop out.

18. KTang

Cppo -> Great :) Well I'm trying to open ladder duelling to everyone which is why I brought in the restrictions, so that with cheap builds such as Wolf barbs, everyone has a chance. LLD duelling will definately be broguht in once we get a few trial weeks of standard duelling :)

Neuuubeh -> Capping frw isn't for desyncing, it depends on the range accessibility of characters, such as bowazons. A high frw bowazon will outrun the majority of chars, and having such an advantage over a melee char can be pretty annoying. Enigma seems to be an opinion based item, I personally don't think it should be involved but some others disagree, but like I said, we'll give it a trial run. If its going to be a battle of the fittest I'll bring some extremeties along to give a picture ;)

Dizzy -> Team duelling is awesome and it really makes characters use their advantage. I think one week I'll have a Set-only duels, and encourage people to use a full set on their chars and see what kind of crap we can come up with ^^

KT

19. altima

altima IncGamers Member

Interesting im in :) But it seems my bowzon is out becaouse of the knockback and slow target ... this leaves me with my zealer with really ****ty and improvised equipment :)

20. Furyan

Furyan IncGamers Member

Teamduels can be extremely fun. I used to duel in team with a Trapsin and my Fury Druid. We were both PvM chars and not geared to duel, but the combo was great.

On our own we were weak in duel. My wolf ran very slow and could hardly catch any targets, but had a huge one-hit kill with 21k dmg and a huge amount of life. My mate's assassin had pretty strong traps, but he died very quickly and was no match vs any Barbarian. So we matched up, and it went great. The assa couldn't kill any chars with resists or absorb (cfr Sorc), while I could easily one-hit them. On the other hand I didn't stand a chance vs teleporters, while the assassin would teleport with them and chase them down.

Our strategy was simple: my mate made the target stand and I made the kill. He used Mind Blast and traps to stun the target, and I one-hit them with my slow but devastating 21k damage.

There are endless possibilities in this, making it a ton of fun to duel in teams :thumbup: