Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Euro 2008 Austria & Switzerland

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Barabas, May 29, 2008.

?

Winner of Euro 2008 will be :

1. Spain

11 vote(s)
    15.9%
  2. Italy

12 vote(s)
    17.4%
  3. Germany

7 vote(s)
    10.1%
  4. Holland

25 vote(s)
    36.2%
  5. France

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  6. Romania

3 vote(s)
    4.3%
  7. Czech Republic

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  8. Russia

3 vote(s)
    4.3%
  9. Austria

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  10. Sweden

5 vote(s)
    7.2%
  1. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Euro 2008 Austria & Switzerland

I love the still continuing arguments about whether or not Van Nistlerooy's goal should count. I tend to think the refs got it right, but the discussion is crazy.

2. Erwwwd

Erwwwd Diabloii.Net Member

I think this was the first time the organizing organisation held a press-conference to cover 1 referee decision. Really silly also, there is no need to address it, as even if it was just an off-side goal there would be no way to change the fact that it got counted.

3. AeroJonesy

Go Sweden. The first goal was one incredible rocket of a shot. The second goal was the ugliest one I've seen this tournament.

4. Head Jumper

Head Jumper Diabloii.Net Member

They have to do it.. Never mind the counting, referee can still receive penalty.. IMO, it was an offside.
    I hate that second goal as well. If it was 0:1 i would have best betting day today for a long time :alright: I caught Spain half/final 1-1 (Spain/Spain), and played Sweden x-1 (draw/Sweden), but failed 0-1 goals..

5. Erwwwd

As rules have nothing to do with opinions, in this case no opinion matters.

6. Head Jumper

Well actually, it's a rule. It's a 'fresh' one, but still.. If a player is temporally "disabled" from game, like he was, he counts out. Off course those were matter of seconds, but still, it was an offside. I'm too lazy to google for the official rules right now..

7. Rashiminos

Rashiminos Diabloii.Net Member

Since those announcers have been brought to the discussion, anyone stateside noticing an unusual number of NBA finals mentions being slipped in on purpose?

8. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

The offside rule says nothing about why the player left the field :whistling:

Regarding the anti-american postings, I won't retract what I said, as I think it was a matching reply to what Bobcox wrote :p. I don't think it was anti-american. People make jokes about US citizens, people make jokes about Germans. As long as it doesn't cross a certain line, we have to live with it, I guess. I cannot speak for others here, just about what I wrote.

9. AeroJonesy

Yeah. The only redeeming quality is that Andy Gray (former Ranger) is rooting for the Lakers just because Boston's team is the Celtics.

10. Head Jumper

Well, i'll check that tomorrow, friend of mine is a referee himself.. IIRC, that rule existed before, but it was quite abused. It was like: If a player of the defending team leaves the field, and besides him offending player is in offside position, it is offside. So they've changed it, for the sake of the fair play. It's now more like, if the player is in condition to move back to the field, it's not counted as offside, but if he's KO'ed, (like in this situation), it's an offside. It's a more reasonable rule.

11. Rabbitz

Rabbitz Diabloii.Net Member

Although Zlatan Ibrahimovi?'s headie was awesome, the game in itself was pretty dull =(. I expected a bit more preformance from Greece aswell =/

12. Crowd Control

Crowd Control Banned

I had them at 3-1, but I still got points for getting the winning team right. I only watched right at the moment of the first goal......damn girls wanted to watch Gossip Girls :steam: .

13. Gagge

Gagge Diabloii.Net Member

Nice start for Sweden! I was disappointed at the greek team though, they had no game plan other than belting the ball high after passing between their defenders 28743085034 times. Shocking to say the least! Zlatans rocket was just... damn.

And what a fine display of Villa... Three goals and could have claimed more. Class!

14. LorveN

LorveN D3 Off Topic Moderator

Of course it was dull. Greece never play offensive, and with Sweden's current coach, we don't either. I'm actually surprised we won, but more surprised at the team Lagerbäck picked. Sooner or later he needs to bring someone onto the pitch that is younger than 27.

But he never does...he never does... He keeps picking them oldies, that get injured all the time. Ljungberg won't last more than 1-2 games more, Wilhelmsson (who was actually good yesterday) unfortunately didn't last this game, and Larsson was dead tired after 70mins. :coffee:

15. Erwwwd

Problem is that the reason someone leaves the field is impossible to judge in fractions of seconds. The preceding rule to a person leaving the field injured is that he has to have permission from the referee. A player cannot pronounce himself injured like that, because of obvious reasons of it being abused.

In this specific case look how easily pannuci was walking about after his dreadful injury behind the goal.

16. bagar

bagar Diabloii.Net Member

Jeebus, that's some negative posting. Your team wins by 2-0 and you complain the coach didnt play with younger players. Or are you just upset your bet didnt hold up? I would say winning the matches is the more important than cater to the young in a championship.

I agree about Wilhelmsson though. A shame he was injured. Will he play the rest of the tournament?

17. Head Jumper

He's right. Sweden has the oldest team on the championship, even older than Italy :D They just can't give their max potential out anymore.

18. AeroJonesy

I recall the announcers saying the Italian squad was the oldest. Maybe one has the oldest starting 11 and the other has the oldest team (including subs)?

19. Rashiminos

The Czech Republic - Portugal match is going well. I did see a couple of big missed opportunities. The Czechs had a good attack in the box going until someone made an overly high cross. Ronaldo rushed a shot instead of passing to an open guy on the left, the result being that Peter Cech makes an easy save (for him).

20. Rashiminos

I though the Czechs were going to tie it up until they got caught with their pants down on that counterattack...