Etiquette advice requested..

Steve_Kow

Banned
Etiquette advice requested..

There's a fellow at work who has a medical problem where sometimes when he's talking his face goes into minor spasms. He is unable to talk during these spasms, which often occur in the middle of a sentence and can last up to a minute.

Should I look away, wait patiently, or what? I don't know what the "polite" thing to do in this situation is.

Arokthis

Diabloii.Net Member
Just wait it out and continue as if nothing had happened. Think about what you would do if someone started sneezing, as if from an allergy attack.

AeroJonesy

Diabloii.Net Member
I'd also just wait patiently. Isn't something like that a form of Turret's? I had a friend in middle school who did something sort of like that. After awhile, I just kinda stopped noticing it altogether.

jimmyboy

Diabloii.Net Member
Options

1. mock him.
2. adjust his watch 2 hours forward, leading him to believe he had a 2 hour blackout.

3. recommend a physician to cure his condition.
4. igore it.

Numbers 3 and 4 may be the polite thing to do, and 1 can get you fired. I vote for number 2.

Necrolestes

Diabloii.Net Member
Be with you in a tic

It could be Tourette's syndrome (though more commonly associated with coprolalia, when a person starts swearing uncontrollably, the disorder can occur in the absence of vocal tics). The polite thing to do is to wait patiently until the tics subside. The right thing to do is the above plus the asking of the question "are you alright?" You need to show concern for the person's wellbeing at the same time you are being polite (that's proper etiquette...if it's a neurological condition, as I suspect, you need to gently point the person towards a doctor by telling the person what you saw and that you care about how the person is doing).

Jimi-

Diabloii.Net Member
what kinda place you work in?, if i remember correctly you had the same problem with a deaf guy who spits when he talks?

HAMC8112

Diabloii.Net Member
Does the guy now about this? I cannot immagine he doesnt, maybe you should ask him what to do.

Ash Housewares

Diabloii.Net Member
jimmyboy said:
Options

1. mock him.
2. adjust his watch 2 hours forward, leading him to believe he had a 2 hour blackout.

3. recommend a physician to cure his condition.
4. igore it.

Numbers 3 and 4 may be the polite thing to do, and 1 can get you fired. I vote for number 2.
3 is just stupid, do you go around telling smokers that cigarettes will kill them?
I'd figure the guy has gotten this far in life and realized that nobody else he talks to has facial contortions, so maybe, just maybe he may have seen a doctor at some point in his existance

CyberHawk

Diabloii.Net Member
Jimi- said:
what kinda place you work in?, if i remember correctly you had the same problem with a deaf guy who spits when he talks?
Was going to say the same thing. Well just get him fired like the last guy, and end your suffering.

5Ws

Banned
You should slap him in the face repeatedly while yelling "SNAP out of it! Leave him alone ya DEVIL!!!"
Seriously, I would prolly just act like nothing happens, since if you do something, let's say turn away, look at him weirdly, or even say something nice to him, it will make him aware of his disease, and I'd imagine that would be even more uncomfortable.

CyberHawk

Diabloii.Net Member
cyclotronic said:
That was not called for.
---------

Just be polite and wait it out.

You mean uncalled for? I'm just saying..when this guy starts not to like someone..ya better look out!
I saw it funny....forgot its "serious time" for the OTF. *waits 15 mins.

cyclotronic

Diabloii.Net Member
No, i meant to write it out completely, even if it is grammatically unsound. And yes I realize it was meant as a joke, but the last worker had a serious issue, Steve could not bare to work around him he smelt so bad. Coupled with his inability to do the jobs steve asked him to.

CyberHawk

Diabloii.Net Member
cyclotronic said:
No, i meant to write it out completely, even if it is grammatically unsound. And yes I realize it was meant as a joke, but the last worker had a serious issue, Steve could not bare to work around him he smelt so bad. Coupled with his inability to do the jobs steve asked him to.
Hey bud, I'm up for the crap grammer award...BACKOFF!! aND STARt SPELLLING BETtER!

Newman

Diabloii.Net Member
Steve_Kow said:
There's a fellow at work who has a medical problem where sometimes when he's talking his face goes into minor spasms. He is unable to talk during these spasms, which often occur in the middle of a sentence and can last up to a minute.

Should I look away, wait patiently, or what? I don't know what the "polite" thing to do in this situation is.
I hate situations like that, I never know what to do. I mean, in my head I'm thinking that I should walk away, but I do the exact opposite.