Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Ethereal's and Socketed Items................

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by Thorales, Mar 2, 2004.

1. Thorales

Thorales IncGamers Member

Ethereal's and Socketed Items................

:worship: I could really use some help on these. I have collected some of the more frequently talked about socketed items. And I was wondering if anyone might have some helpful suggestions, or ideas for best use. As I'm not very wealthy, I lack the high runes it would require to make a BOTD, Or DOOM, Enigma, etc;. I have tried to no avail to trade for them, but lack the necessary UBER items.
    Also is there any use for Ethereal items??? I know mercs can use them and avoid repair costs. But I have found alot of ethereal Uniques as well. I thought perhaps like an ethereal Throwing weapon is great. Is this correct?? Because it wouldn't become damaged, right?? IT broke my heart when the ONLY pair of War Travs I've ever found was ethereal. Are they just useless??
    Thank you very much for your help, in advance. :thanks:

2. spaker_man

spaker_man IncGamers Member

throwing weapons don't have durability no, but in order to refill the quantity you need to "repair" them. So ethereal ones which can't be "repaired" cannot refill the quantity. Also, if you use the throwing weapon melee style (swing it at something) then it will lose quantity in the place of durability.

Ethereal uniques that have the "repairs durability" mod are very nice because they have increased dmg/defence and will not break (titans for example and skullders ire armor). All other eth uniques can still be useful mainly on mercs but others that do not lose durability often can still last a long time through normal use. If a necro has an ethereal wand it's not a big problem because it only loses durability if he hits something with it .... and he doesn't do that very often hopefully ;)

Now trading .... The ethereal items themselves have a decent amount of value ... for instance if you have found an ethereal no socket plain collosus blade (not magical, rare or unique) then that is highly sought after. you can trade that for a lot of what you need to make one of the elite runewords in the next eth item you find.

Look through the trade forums and channels to see what eth items people are looking for. Also, some items are worth putting a ZOD rune into in order to have a more powerful weapon or armor which won't break. Some examples there are eth Arkaine's Valor or Eth Redeemer mighty scepter.

You will get to know what are the valuable ones. For the time being keep the eth ones you find that you are unsure about, use them on a merc or mule them until you are sure that they are valuable or not.

Hope this helps.

SPAK

3. Thorales

:clap: Excellent help! Thanks for taking the time to respond. That is all very useful info. So, I can keep the Francisca(unique) cause it replenishes quantity, as long as I don't melee with it?
    And is the Zod in an item thing legit? I thought that it was a bug. SO, if I can get a Zod, and put it in the War Travs, will they be keepers?
    :worship:

4. innorton38

innorton38 IncGamers Member

Not sure what you mean but "zod in an item thing" being legit but if you just mean the normal socketing the item and putting a zod in it, you're out of luck in this case cause, you can't socket boots. I made this mistake for a while. Also, you can melee or throw with an eth item if they replenish, just don't let the quantity get to 0.

5. Thorales

:worship: Thank you both for your help. I will give up the dream of finding a use for those ethereal War Travs.ARGH!! But at least I can use a few of the ethereal items, and maybe trade up for runes for those awesome runewords.. :clap:

6. innorton38

innorton38 IncGamers Member

I know the feeling, I found an ethereal arachnid's spiderweb sash yesterday. Nice def, but how long can 7 or 8 durability last? Oh well, such is life.

7. marshaldwm2

marshaldwm2 IncGamers Member

I would just use them until they run out of durability. With the increased MF, you might find another non-ethereal set. Even with Ethereal, they should last through 30+ hours of gameplay, especially on a non-fighting character, because you lose durability on boots mostly when you get hit.

In other words, they would be great on your MF \sorc, and should last a good long while.