Ethereal?

Rynda

Diabloii.Net Member
Ethereal?

Ok, another random question from yours truly... Why do you guys seem to prefer ethereal versions of items more than normal ones? I can see that putting ethereal items on your merc doesn't hurt any, because your merc doesn't loose durability. But I can't see why you'd want to put them on your character. Am I missing something here?

San

Diabloii.Net Member
Well, some ethereal's rares, or uniques (such as Ginter's Rift) or runewords (such as Exile), have the repairs durability -mod, and are much better ethereal..

And in PvP, the weapons and armours are of much use, because it's very normal that, for example, two pallys just swing at each other for a long time before connecting. After all, it only takes under 10 hits to kill somebody with reasonable life(/defence).

Summoned

Diabloii.Net Member
Just repeating, I guess. ;)

Certain items have mods that repair themselves or replenish their quantities. Ethereal items also have higher stats than normal ones, and with those mods, are definitely better than normal versions.

I only have one example of how an ethereal item can be better than a normal one:

Skullder's Ire
Russet Armor
Defense: 980
Durability: 76 of 76
Required Strength: 97
Required Level: 42
Item Version: 1.10 Expansion
Item Level: 87
Fingerprint: 0xb253f5c9
+168% Enhanced Defense
Magic Damage Reduced by 10
+60 Maximum Durability
24% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
+1 to All Skill Levels
115% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items (Based on Character Level)
Repairs 1 durability in 5 seconds :D
Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired), Socketed (1: 1 used)

A normal skullder's ire's defense can never be as high as one that's ethereal. Hope that answers your question.

Liliel

Diabloii.Net Member
Some people here are eth grailers, looking to get an ethereal version of every item in the game. Eth wands and orbs are just for style points. Eth white weapons are imbue fodder. As you've said, eth merc gear is good stuff. And as others have mentioned, you can get eth items with self repair / replenish quantity. And an awesome eth unique or 6 socket grey may give particular members something to do with their Zod rune other than bragging about it.

Hehehe, speaking of bragging...

Loath Scratch
Suwayyah
One-Hand Damage: 267 to 365
Durability: 25 of 25
(Assassin Only)
Required Dexterity: 89
Required Strength: 89
Required Level: 48
Claw Class - Normal Attack Speed
Item Level: 86
Fingerprint: 0x3775a125
+361% Enhanced Damage
+153 to Attack Rating
+6 to Maximum Damage
+1 to Blades of Ice (Assassin Only)
+2 to Mind Blast (Assassin Only)
+2 to Mana After Each Kill
Level 3 Stun (6/27 Charges)
Repairs 1 durability in 20 seconds
Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired), Socketed (1: 0 used)

Not easy to get damage like that on a non-eth claw.

essojay

Diabloii.Net Member
Liliel said:
Loath Scratch
Suwayyah
One-Hand Damage: 267 to 365
Durability: 25 of 25
(Assassin Only)
Required Dexterity: 89
Required Strength: 89
Required Level: 48
Claw Class - Normal Attack Speed
Item Level: 86
Fingerprint: 0x3775a125
+361% Enhanced Damage
+153 to Attack Rating
+6 to Maximum Damage
+1 to Blades of Ice (Assassin Only)
+2 to Mind Blast (Assassin Only)
+2 to Mana After Each Kill
Level 3 Stun (6/27 Charges)
Repairs 1 durability in 20 seconds
Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired), Socketed (1: 0 used)
omfg gib plz :eek:

Also, as long as you don't use them to attack things physically, weapons don't lose durability. Of course, since you don't attack things with the weapons you don't get the benefit of the greater damage, but for chars like sorcs using an occy, for example, using ethereal weapons is viable, not to mention very stylish. Also, consider that ethereal items have lower strength/dexterity requirements.

Liliel

Diabloii.Net Member
Hehe, consider it a lesson. Always pick up elite rares (and if you have the room, all other rares). You're bound to get something awesome eventually.

Anyways, essojay has reminded me of another reason: Blade Fury. You don't really attack things physically, AND you get the benefit of the extra damage!

I suppose another reason could be... Iron Golem?

i personally like my items to be ethereal. no particular reason i guess. but they sometimes do have better stats than regular items that you can repair.

Liliel

Diabloii.Net Member
Etheral is a typo. Ethereal is the correct word.

Ethereal. e·the·re·al
adj.
1. Characterized by lightness and insubstantiality; intangible.
2. Highly refined; delicate. See Synonyms at airy.
a. Of the celestial spheres; heavenly.
b. Not of this world; spiritual.
4. Chemistry. Of or relating to ether.

By the way, the ether, or aether, was once a theoretical medium for the propogation of light. It was proposed because, at the time, it was thought all waves needed a medium to travel through (eg sound) and yet light can apparently travel through vacuum. Eventually it was proven that the ether doesn't exist, and that electromagnetic waves are self-propogating.