Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Ethereal Frostwind...

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Any1, Feb 6, 2004.

1. Any1

Any1 Banned

Ethereal Frostwind...

I found the Ethereal version of this sword in a "pit" run yesterday. The max damage is around 330, I think.

Frostwind (Cryptic Sword)
    One-Hand Damage: (14-16) To (215-254) (114.5-135 Avg)
    Required Level: 70
    Required Strength: 99
    Required Dexterity: 109
    Base Weapon Speed: [-10]
    +180-230% Enhanced Damage
    Adds 237-486 Cold Damage, 6 sec. Duration
    +7-14 To Arctic Blast*
    Freezes Target +4
    Cold Absorb 7-15%
    Half Freeze Duration
    +25% Increased Attack Speed
    (Only Spawns In Patch 1.10 or later)

I hardly ever hear anything about this weapon. Unfortunately, the one I found only has 187% ED (Damn you Aquaflush!). It looks like a decent Frost Zealot or Avenger weapon, assuming one can spare a Zod. I guess it doesn't really compare to a BotD 'Zerker, which seems to be the standard use for a Zod.

Since I remember "Freeze Target" modifiers stack, I can get an Iceblink and some other similar gear and see how it stands up in Hell diff.

2. Shadoway

Shadoway IncGamers Member

Etheral-Zod combo only works well with big physical damage. If you think the +cold damage is nice, you should really check out Azurewrath.

3. assmuffin

assmuffin IncGamers Member

Ethereal gives 50% added base damage right? Base max for a Cryptic Sword is 77. About 40 more damage doesn't count as working well?

4. Shadoway

Shadoway IncGamers Member

Of course not working well. His Frostwind is only 187%ed. If he does not Zod it, it will only last a while. If he have a Zod to spare, check out BotD, which has 350%--400% ed.

5. Any1

Any1 Banned

There is no doubt that an Ethereal BotD (and maybe even an Azurewrath) are better overall weapons than this. However given that it's a fairly fast weapon (WSM -10 and 25% IAS), with some unique modifiers (Freeze target, Arctic Blast, Cold Absorb), and decent physical and elemental damage, it may fit into a build somewhere.

The trick is to find the right build.

6. Ragnarod

Ragnarod DiabloII.Net Pal

I don't know Any1, sure the sword is nice, but a 160% ed eth weapon has around the same damage as a 300% ed normal one, since the Frostwind is 189% you'd probably get a similar damage out of a 3xx ed cryptic sword, without having to spend a Zod. Besides, I've never liked the damage range on cryptic swords, it's not reliable :(

If I had to use it in any build, however, it would probably be in an avenger, since at least it would take a while for it to break

7. Any1

Any1 Banned

This isn't what I want to hear! ;)

Unfortuantely, I have to agree with everything you say. But there still might be that specialized niche build that would be perfect for this weapon. (I'm a bit delusional on Mondays) :bonk: