Ethereal Death's Fathom

FathomFear

Diabloii.Net Member
Ethereal Death's Fathom

Hey all--

I would first like to apologize in advance if I am asking a question that has already been addressed. I searched the forum but did not find any posts, and in speaking with friends I have been given conflicting answers.

What I want to know is this: is it feasible to use an ethereal Death's Fathom (or any ethereal caster item)? Do items *only* lose durability in melee combat? Some of my friends insist that there is also a chance to lose durability if you die--is this true? Blizzard's page on ethereal items is vague at best.

Thanks for your help.

lonnie913

Diabloii.Net Member
ethereal items only lose durability if you swing it something (including barrels and such i think). you can use an ethereal orb, or wand indefinitely. ethereal death fathoms, ethereal call to arms, ethereal heart of the oak are all more valueable b/c holding see through equipment is sexy. :lol:

FathomFear

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks.

So if I use an eth caster item I shouldn't open barrels or jars? :eek:

One more question: a friend has offered to give me a Zod to socket another one of my ethereal items with (an eth Lidless). Now, I try not to deal with high runes too often...as it's apparent that the majority are dupes. But I am curious: if I did socket a zod into an eth item...would it disappear during a rust storm? I don't think I even want to risk it! Historically speaking, what has rust storm done to high runewords?...or other items with socketed high runes?

Thanks again. :clap:

FathomFear

Diabloii.Net Member
lol, that's what I was thinking too. I swear that the Sorc animation is kicking--but maybe it still reduces durability of your weapon? Does anyone have a firm answer to this one? :D

yelopen

Diabloii.Net Member
i've been using my occulus for quite a while now, and it still has 60/60 durability
i've broken TONS of barrels and not one point of durability has gone down

im pretty sure you just kick the barrel :D

Yes, 100 posts lol :p

mhl12

Diabloii.Net Member
FathomFear said:
Thanks.

So if I use an eth caster item I shouldn't open barrels or jars? :eek:

One more question: a friend has offered to give me a Zod to socket another one of my ethereal items with (an eth Lidless). Now, I try not to deal with high runes too often...as it's apparent that the majority are dupes. But I am curious: if I did socket a zod into an eth item...would it disappear during a rust storm? I don't think I even want to risk it! Historically speaking, what has rust storm done to high runewords?...or other items with socketed high runes?

Thanks again. :clap:
If it was free, I would take it, dupe or not. lol
But socketing it on an eth lidless is a waste. Save it up for botd or something else. As for a ruststorm, blizzard has not conducted one of those in a long time. However, if it is a dupe, it still can poof on you. If it's socketed in an item, most of the times, only the rune will dissappear. On rare occasions, the whole item might be gone.

k/t

Banned
My Summoner had an ethereal Arm Of King Leoric, and it gave me nightmares. It only had 8/8 durability, and when running into rooms, sometimes (aided by my horrendous lag) he'd take a swing at monsters. He wouldn't hit them, since his AR is laughable, but I was scared to death his wand would lose durability. Eventually it did. Now it's 7/8. Luckily now I have 2 normal Leorics besides the eth one. It was such a relief to put a solid one on.

Edit: If you make BOTD and then a Ruststorm occurs and your Zod disappears, does your BOTD lose its powers and become just a bunch of runes?