Eternal Youth?

Johnny

Banned
I dont see how it could be so hard.

As long as there is a food source then technicly living forever shouldnt be so far fetched.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
All that sort of stuff is highly speculative right now, maybe we'll get it figured out some day though. I kind of hope we don't - we're accelerating towards overpopulation of the planet fast enough already.

Dawnmaster

Diabloii.Net Member
And to "quote" Farrokh Bulsara (anyone knows him by that name? :rolleyes: )

Who wants to live forever?
Really, think about it, what if you would not die from old age, surely at some point in your life you'd grow so weary and bored with it all, wandering this earth for hundreds/thousands of years, you'll probably end up blowing your own brains out?

Humans already extended their lives by a lot of years, why not enjoy this life as it came to us? Why do we want to tamper with our bodies, against all of nature's laws? If nature intended for us to live longer, she'd made us turtles or even trees?

I say if we live any longer then we already do on this world, we'll grow even more insane.

Dawnmaster

Diabloii.Net Member
HAMC8112 said:
This sounds very interresting.

But life eternal? I dont think so.
Well, iirc, all (everything that they discovered sofar) these technics (if they'd all work) can lenghten a human's life up to 160-180 years.

At that age, complex organic beings reach their final point: everytime DNA splits to make new cells, a certain extra piece splits as well, but doesn't add up again. Once the extra piece is gone, your DNA can't split anymore, so you can't produce new cells, thus, one dies.

It's kinda like a fee (free cash that comes with you at the moment of conception), everytime your DNA splits, it pays a fee in order to split, once it's out of money, it can't split anymore.

And iirc, it's far too complex/near impossible to implement extra "cash" to each DNA strand in a human body, thus eternal life would theoretically be possible, but irl, we're FAR from it.

WarlockCC

Diablo Classic Moderator
Dawnmaster said:
Well, iirc, all (everything that they discovered sofar) these technics (if they'd all work) can lenghten a human's life up to 160-180 years.
Wow, they need to up the level limit in Diablo 2, cause then you have time to get to level 160-180. :)

myleftfoot

Diabloii.Net Member
Dawnmaster said:
And to "quote" Farrokh Bulsara (anyone knows him by that name? :rolleyes: )

Really, think about it, what if you would not die from old age, surely at some point in your life you'd grow so weary and bored with it all, wandering this earth for hundreds/thousands of years, you'll probably end up blowing your own brains out?

Humans already extended their lives by a lot of years, why not enjoy this life as it came to us? Why do we want to tamper with our bodies, against all of nature's laws? If nature intended for us to live longer, she'd made us turtles or even trees?

I say if we live any longer then we already do on this world, we'll grow even more insane.

Live forever? No. I'd happily take another couple 100 years tho.

Veilside

Diabloii.Net Member
I wouldn't mind living for another few thousand years, would give me time to learn a few musical instruments and such. Might even give me enough time to get a real education if i could ever be bothered.

Hoorah for transhumanism.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
We will develop immortality eventually, I sure don't envy my descendants' having to deal with that...

SaroDarksbane

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
myleftfoot said:
Live forever? No. I'd happily take another couple 100 years tho.
Just 100? I'd want to hang around significantly longer.
dondrei said:
We will develop immortality eventually, I sure don't envy my descendants' having to deal with that...
That reminds me . . . new thread time!

Merick

Diabloii.Net Member
I don't care how unpleasant it got, I'd like to live forever. Or at least as long as I can stand it. Then again, I believe that being dead is like not being born yet.