Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Etdlahq Memorial Bar - your shelter from forum crashes

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Shade, Jan 28, 2004.

1. Drystan

Drystan IncGamers Member

@Kitteh - I don't think it's ADHD or anything related. It's been more recent, but also has been for a while. It's part of me losing interest in some things, and not finding anything to replace it.
    I've got a very up and down schedule. Some days are busy and take most of the day, while others can be finished in a couple hours. But then, I work 7 days a week, and sometimes my days can be divided into morning visits, and evening visits.
    Given this, I have lots of time, but, it's always variable, and has no routine to get into.

In terms of gaming, no game really keeps me entertained. I finished SC2 last year, and didn't even finish the Nova campaign, as it's not the type of game I enjoy. The campaign/story have too many missions that are hard, just to be hard. Hard in a way that there are only one or two methods of beating it, and if you don't do that method, you simply can't win. You need to know what to do, before you can actually beat it. Many of the missions are timed, so you feel pressured to attack early. If you attack at the wrong time, too early, you lose flat out. If you attack too late, the mission's 'timer' beats you. If you have the wrong composition of units, you lose and have no chance at rebuilding, so SC2 really hasn't held my interest.
    Median Sigma, let down for me. It hasn't kept my attention, and part of that is due to one of their 'features.' D2, I haven't played in so long, and don't intend to complete a Sept Sept, although there's only a few characters remaining.

So in part, if you no longer find interest in gaming or other time consuming hobbies, and your work schedule is so unpredictable and variable, it's more about me MAKING sure that I fill the time, and getting into a routine and sticking to it. And that means sticking to doing a simple thing every day: 1 chapter minimum a day (easy in theory!,) or 10 minutes guitar a day.

I read one of the Diablo books, which focused on Kabraxis and The Black Road. It was a straight-forward read, pretty easy going, kept within the Diablo lore, and had some creative storytelling. I enjoyed it, coming from someone with experience of the Diablo universe, but I believe if you didn't have any experience with the history, it might not be as enjoyable. It would be considered too simplistic and easy going, not very complicated or creates a massive, potential of a world.
    Same with the Starcraft books I've read. I enjoyed them, but they were also pretty simplistic overall, so may not be enjoyed as much by someone who hasn't had any experience with that world.

Iron Druid Chronicles is also pretty easy to read (audiobook) because it's not trying to create a complexity of challenges or complex world, or be a political war between different factions, or make up anything over the top/magical. It's everything we know or can research, as many elements come from history, folklore and mythology. The humour and unexpected phrases and overall sentence structure is pretty easy going, again, not trying to be complicated. It's a guy, living out his interestingly long (for a 21 year old, no one has questioned what he means when he says he's 21, but it could be 21 centuries) life, while trying to keep his quiet, peaceful life going.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019 at 3:02 AM
  2. kamap

kamap IncGamers Member

IDC sounds like something I should pick up.
    @Drystan: Not finding a new thing to occupy your time can indeed be frustrating even more so if you can't really build up a routine. Keep looking though something is bound to come along.
    Else start building eleborate playing card houses, you can start and stop anytime you want and its fun to demolish when your done.

3. T72on1

T72on1 IncGamers Member

I can read really fast, but it just depends. If it's a text I need to read to get information out of it (read: something for work, the kids' school, ...), I skim through it really fast and in that time I can absorb the essential info needed.

When reading a book at home, I take it much slower. There, every word can have a meaning and / or significant impact.

4. kamap

kamap IncGamers Member

Same here. I take my time when reading something (a book or body language, wink wink nudge nudge) for leisure but books or text that are work related is skimmed trough and saved somewhere for if I need to read it more carefully later.

5. Kitteh

Kitteh IncGamers Site Pal

Do we have any Swedish people who could suggest 'must-do' things during my two week visit to The Karolinska Institute? I know it's in Solna, but I'm useless at geography otherwise... My weekends should essentially be free I think :)

6. kestegs

kestegs D3 Monk Moderator

I've been to IKEA before. Does that qualify me to help?

7. kamap

kamap IncGamers Member

You could try and do a lucious swedish girl.
    There are also some great amusement parcs if I'm not mistaken and something called a crawfish party but thats in the summer I believe.
    The ghost walk in stockholm is also a touristy thing to do.
    There will be many more things like hiking in one the the national parcs or museums / sightseeing / nature trips.
    Employ your googlefu and find out.

8. T72on1

T72on1 IncGamers Member

You should definitely see Ibrahimovic.

Kitteh likes this.
  9. Jcakes

Jcakes IncGamers Member

Also note that given this is an international forum, rights vary from Country to Country. Australia for example doesn't technically have freedom of speech. We do have an implied freedom of speech, but it is not law.

That said when it comes to cops, I'd answer questions generally, but probably not allow them to search any of my property without a warrant.

I am just surprised you knew Ikea was Swedish.

10. kamap

kamap IncGamers Member

In his tremendous long life he has picked up some knowledge it seems.

11. Kitteh

I suppose a trip to a proper IKEA is mandatory, right?

12. kamap

kamap IncGamers Member

Would it be called IKEA as well there, I wonder.

13. T72on1

T72on1 IncGamers Member

I suppose there is an ABBA museum in Sweden, although I'm not sure. If there is, that would be mandatory. But IKEA? Nah.

Kitteh likes this.
  14. Kitteh

[​IMG]

15. zemaj

zemaj IncGamers Member

Museum for ABBA, but not for Meshuggah, Bathory, Amon Amrath, In Flames, Opeth, Marduk, Tiamat, or Arch Enemy...

Apparently Sweden doesn't appreciate thier truly great artists... :(

Tenecabo and Kartongen like this.
  16. Kitteh

Opeth don't?!

Kartongen likes this.
  17. T72on1

T72on1 IncGamers Member

Meshuggah !!! The one and only. Better get a meet and greet with them Kitteh. Woohoo !!

18. Kartongen

Kartongen IncGamers Member

Many people with great taste in music here it seems. Opeth ♡

I also recommend Scar Symmetry, to get you into a more Swedish mode.

19. Kitteh

Are Deathstar Swedish?

20. kestegs

kestegs D3 Monk Moderator

Hey, I know things!

But not anything about Swedish bands.

Kitteh likes this.