Etdlahq Memorial Bar - your shelter from forum crashes

djmbbandie

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm waiting on the lines to thin out before I replace my phone battery. This thing can't hold a charge longer than about 6 hrs ish when in use.

I had to drive 10hrs for this set. I was not happy last year when they announced go fest in Chicago, so I had to get this group from the Pax East convention even if it killed me. Unown spawns are so rare even when there were trackers available. I'll probably never be able to spell my name.....

*serves Dew

*serve bourbon

*serves sangria

T72on1

Diabloii.Net Member
Some people choose an easier name than djmbbandie. I went to university and have a hard time spelling it ...

Last edited:

Pb_pal

Diabloii.Net Member
So, are we excited about The Fall of Gondolin?
Seems promising, though I haven't looked into it much. This one is an actual new publication though, yes? Weren't the previous two "new" works (The Children of Húrin and Beren and Lúthien) just re-writes of stories already told in the Silmarrilion published in standalone books?

LozHinge the Unhinged

Diabloii.Net Member
Seems promising, though I haven't looked into it much. This one is an actual new publication though, yes? Weren't the previous two "new" works (The Children of Húrin and Beren and Lúthien) just re-writes of stories already told in the Silmarrilion published in standalone books?
The stories in the Silmarillion are just sketches of longer tales. For instance, the founding of Gondolin is a chapter in the Silmarillion but is a long, long tale in one of the later, posthumous releases ("Unfinished Tales", IIRC).

If the aforementioned "new works" are in a similar vein, they should prove popular with Tolkien fans. Including me.

Pb_pal

Diabloii.Net Member
Awesome. I'll hope for a set of the 3 new works to be released by Christmas, in which case it will promptly be added to the bookshelf and put in rotation with my neverending re-reads of LotR/Hobbit/Silmarillion.

krischan

Europe Trade Moderator
For the Valar, just a short amount of time has passed since the end of the First Age. It's mortals who regard this as a long time.

The timespans covered before were much larger. For example, the first banishment of Melkor was for "two ages" which might be about 5000 years and that's just a brief episode in the Silmarillion. The reaction times of the Valar regarding events on a greater scale are to be measured in millennia.

Pb_pal

Diabloii.Net Member
I was always under the impression that they sent the Istari and promptly kind of stopped caring about handling it themselves, but I'm quite rusty on my lore there.

LozHinge the Unhinged

Diabloii.Net Member
Bearing in mind just how bad things had gotten at the end of the FA for the Quendi and the Atani, we were a long way off the Valar taking direct action against Sauron.

I mean, Gondor still stood, the Rohan were free and the Halflings hadn't been turned into a race of pre-technology tamagotchi.

Noodle

Bearing in mind just how bad things had gotten at the end of the FA for the Quendi and the Atani, we were a long way off the Valar taking direct action against Sauron.

I mean, Gondor still stood, the Rohan were free and the Halflings hadn't been turned into a race of pre-technology tamagotchi.
So, which one of you is actually Stephen Colbert?