Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Etdlahq Memorial Bar - your shelter from forum crashes

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Shade, Jan 28, 2004.

1. RadTang

RadTang Diabloii.Net Member

Public policy. Though I have done my bachelor and master degree theses in the field of social policy. I am doing a social policy doctoral thesis too though public policy is much broader field (basically anything and everything - especially if it's related somehow to things like government or so). My topic is income guarantees in the European Union. Currently trying to define what I mean through income guarantee term.

Kitteh likes this.
  2. Kitteh

Kitteh Diabloii.Net Site Pal

Ah ok. I'm biomedical science, so I will just pretend that I know what you're talking about :rolleyes:

RadTang likes this.
  3. RadTang

RadTang Diabloii.Net Member

Haha. It's so easy and it's everyday life. Income guarantees are things like: benefits (like sickness), pension (that "free money" older people gets) or minimum wage schemes. I'm thinking about extending it all by adding valorization (+% to value of the guarantee) and tax-free allowances (how much money state agrees to save you from taxing it at all). Hope it's more clear to you :)

4. Drystan

Drystan Diabloii.Net Member

So, I'm bringing this up again. I've seen PC's that are greater than what I'm looking for, for a price I'm willing to spend. But I still can't commit.
    I work, and stay overnight, away from home pretty regularly - let's just say that December->January was my busiest period, and I've only been home for a couple of nights in two months. In this regards, I'd prefer a laptop. But, PC's are cheaper for higher specs, and gaming laptops overheat a lot easier. My laptop overheats a lot, although it has aged a lot as well, but generally, laptops will overheat more when put under stress.
    I want something portable, as I don't want to take my PC around everywhere, and yet, I don't want to buy both. (I could buy both, but am more concerned about saving money for a house deposit at this time.)

Can anyone just point out pros and cons, or decent cheaper laptops. If I go with the PC, I will still need a laptop to take when I work away (can be pretty frequently.) I do believe I will be getting a PC, and then maybe keep this thing until it no longer boots, or opt for another, cheaper, laptop.

5. ioupainmax

ioupainmax Diabloii.Net Member

Has everyone seen this?

It's a Diablo II 'unofficial remaster' built on the Starcraft II engine. It's been faithfully recreated by sampling the original sound files etc. Looks really well made.

6. GalaXyHaXz

GalaXyHaXz Diabloii.Net Member

@Drystan Have you considered installing a heat sink for your laptop? Liquid cooled laptops are very pricy, but they make cooling pads and fan trays that should help at a lower cost.

@ioupainmax Yeah I saw that awhile back. It looked really nice, but I wish they'd have kept a more "Gothic" feel as opposed to cartoony like almost every modern ARPG.

7. TheNix

TheNix Diabloii.Net Member

8. Drystan

I might try that with my current laptop, but it's >8 years old, so I will be upgrading and getting a new PC or laptop (or both.) Opening this thing up and giving this a good clean would be good experience. In that case, it'd be nice to go for PC, and give this thing a proper clean; maybe it'll live a few more years. If I do, I'll take pictures of the condition.

I was given a massive, bulky laptop lap table, but never used it so we donated it. It looked less efficient than that one, and didn't have a fan.

9. pharphis

pharphis Diabloii.Net Site Pal

if you haven't at least opened it up and used compressed air to clean out the dust (and some cotton swabs) then make sure to at least do that! I was able to find a youtube video explaining how to open mine up...

But 8 years is a very long time. Honestly better to just upgrade unless you're super broken. Just having an SSD alone is so rewarding with boot times (something you'd think people would value for a laptop specifically)

10. Drystan

Celestia damn humanity... I just learnt today that people are intentionally eating laundry detergent, and there have been deaths from it.

The planking on the side of a high-rise balcony, or in front of a train for a photo was dumb enough. The stupid crazes we constantly get nowadays; walking into traffic or minefields while playing Pokemon Go; the pranks where the camera people have to run out yelling "It's just a prank!", after staging a fake armed mugging/murder, and the 'prank victim' draws a gun...

Are humans really this stupid? It's ****ing detergent. Don't put it in your mouth. It's not clever, it's not funny, it's not interesting, it's stupid!

Nope, never opened up this laptop, never blown out the dust inside. Yes, I'm pretty sure I'll just keep this as a backup/travel laptop, and clean it up to reduce the overheating (usually only while gaming or on hot days,) and get a PC. I can always get a more basic laptop down the track.

11. darkstarhub

darkstarhub Diabloii.Net Member

@Drystan I would say just get a new laptop. Since you travel so much it would definitely be the way to go. If you have eight years plus out of your current machine you have gotten your money’s worth. One good thing is that D2 doesn’t exactly need a rocket ship to play it, but I am not sure if D2 is the only game you play. An SSD is a no brainer these days which ever way you decide to go.

As far as keeping a laptop cool, I hate those fan trays or tables. I tried a few with my laptop, and none of them helped at all. I used a laser thermometer to check several places on the PC and the temps never went down. One of the best things I found was having a fan of some kind blowing across the laptop(not right beside it, but somewhere in the vicinity blowing towards the laptop) really helps. Keeping the laptop on a hard surface and keeping the vents unobstructed and clean should be a given as well.

I have watched several videos about budget PC builds that would easily run D2, and a lot of other newer games, just not on cranked up settings. With a laptop all you have to get is a mouse, but a PC would need all the other peripherals, which has to be added to the cost. The reason I built a PC is because the laptop I wanted was well over two thousand dollars and I built a really nice rig for fifteen hundred, but I don’t travel like you do either.

Either way, go ahead and get yourself something nice. One thing that will suck is getting used to a new OS on a new machine.

12. Drystan

I'm more interested in classics. Baldur's Gate (graphics overhaul + lots of mods,) D2 and Median (which will always suffer from sprite limits and coding issues,) and would give SC2/D3 a go. There are a couple others I'd give a try, but I don't think I'd be into them nearly as much to really worry about running perfectly.
    I think SC2 on near full settings would be good, but have heard that on full settings, even on a new, expensive rig, it still has issues, just because of the coding or something.

Laptop fans are also quite noisy, but that's part of the portability. I've heard people use the laptop on carpets or on bedding, which traps the heat in.

@ioupainmax - Yes, I've seen that one as well. Would love to give it a go, maybe on a PC that'll run SCII at full settings. Do those Guardians count as Guardians?

13. pharphis

pharphis Diabloii.Net Site Pal

I like the little laptop stands but barely for the cooling effect (I don't use the built-in fan, though the plastic with holes in it is better than a table or lab). Much nicer for my wrists.

edit: and in my experience the fans do help, I just don't really use them since I don't use my old laptop anymore, and found the sound annoying.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  14. Drystan

Sigh. Not my evening. Apologies for typosng water...

I found cheese in the fridge my partner left (sshes away for a bit) so i was going to cut some.
    Moldy and very powdery mold stays in the air. Uhoh.
    I tried to get out of it but mightbve breathed a little - not good. Had some spicy and boiling water to try get mucus out.

Cleaning kitchen chopping board knife, i slice my hand finger on the knife. Bandage it up then later removed it. It stopped bleeding. Barely moved my fingrwe finger and blood gushes out again byut my only bandage is now in the wash... Typing one handed.

Not my evening.

15. Cyrax

Cyrax Diabloii.Net Member

I'm assuming this is a rhetorical question. Because yes people are this stupid (and then some). You know who we need? Darwin. He's the man.

Drystan likes this.
  16. Kitteh

Kitteh Diabloii.Net Site Pal

Darwin didn't instigate natural selection, so much as observe it, so his use here might be limited :rolleyes:

17. ioupainmax

ioupainmax Diabloii.Net Member

For some reason, since the 17th of January, I can't save any screenshots, I think perhaps a windows patch is now preventing me from doing this. It does mean a lot of my stuff that I thought I screenshotted, is not actually there. Anyone else got this issue?

EDIT 1: I should state that I have never had any issues before this and the installation has not been changed in any way for at least a month.

EDIT 2: Using Windows 10

EDIT 3: Maybe Spectre & Meltdown patches screwed something up?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  18. Cyrax

@Kitteh I'm sure he has evolved since then. ;)

Kitteh likes this.
  19. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

I don't think that in our times, intelligent people are reproducing more often. It's more the other way around. On the other hand, the dumber common people are, the easier it will be for the elite to keep things as they are or to improve them to their own advangate.

ioupainmax likes this.
  20. Cyrax

You don't even have to think this. Read about some research a few years ago that actually concluded this.

So if you think about it, it could very well be that this is the smartest humanity will ever be. Which is quite sad if you think about it. Then again perhaps enhancing us with bionics and stuff may help correct this so not all is lost yet.