Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Estiah: Browser-based MMO/CCG

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Jabari, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Jabari

Jabari Diabloii.Net Member

Estiah: Browser-based MMO/CCG

I've been playing Estiah for about 8 months now - fun little game. If you've played CCGs before, you'll think of it like that, if not then you'll probably think of it as an MMO.

Stole this description from Maintankadin and added a few small things to it:

So, "browser game" and "MMORPG" seems like a terrible combination at first glance, but this is actually really well done. There's a lot of depth to it, but the learning curve is quite gentle for a game that's so detailed.

It's different from a lot of browser games in some very notable and very positive ways.

1) Time investment. Logging on twice a day for 10 minutes is about as hardcore as this game gets. Limited turns per day, and a completely automated combat system mean you can log in as infrequently as you like. Assuming you only play 1 character.

2) Premium content. There is none. Or rather, none that has any impact on game balance. You can still donate if you like, but you don't get any power boosts, extra turns, or anything like that. All rewards for donations are purely convenience / vanity things.

3) Farm alts / cheating. A lot of otherwise promising browser games are marred by people either creating large swarms of alts to farm, or to give themselves referral credit, etc. MyBrute was a pretty classic example. In Estiah, the benefits for doing this are very minimal - you can't trade money or items between characters at all.

In those regards, it's something that you can enjoy very casually. Success comes from understanding how the game combat works, and through properly exploiting synergy and probability, rather than a flat out time investment.

It's also completely ad free. There are no ads on the site itself, and not even on the forums. As far as I can tell, it's supported entirely by the generosity of donors. They don't do their own ads either, which is part of the reason that I'm posting here (not to advertise, but to get the word out to an audience that I think could really appreciate / enjoy it).

The basic premise is fairly simple. Your character is defined by a "deck" (or gear) of charms. You create this deck, and it is then played out, in a random order, against your opponent's deck. There's a large variety of charms, but the basic starting ones are generally confined to melee damage, magic damage, armor (melee protection) and ward (magic protection). Strategy is inherent in selecting the right charms for the fight (ie against an enemy that used a lot of melee and ward, you would use armor and melee against them).

Once you've signed up, you'll want to make sure that you pick a job and do it. Jobs are one of the primary means of character growth, and they reset once a day. It's okay to miss some days though, and in fact at certain times you'll want to stop doing jobs entirely to slow down your leveling.

After that, it's time to hit up the first dungeon, Inachis Sewers. This will introduce you to the basic combat mechanics of the game. Don't worry about your deck for the first three fights -- you'll win automatically. Note that the fourth fight though, the Rat God, is a guaranteed loss if you don't buy charms from the bazaar (he has 60hp, you only do 45 damage with your default charms. You need to buy at least 15 more damage -- any combination of charms bought for 100g will accomplish this). Look up the top of your screen, and click Inachis -> Market -> Charm Bazaar to do this.

With the Rat God dead you can experiment with Arena (fighting caged animals), Gathering, or even PvP. It's important to remember that no matter what you do, it's pretty much impossible to 'screw up' your character before level 20. I made a lot of choices that, given the option, I would change, but because growth is exponential, early mistakes get eaten up by power boosts later on.

It's a great example of how good browser games can be, and that they don't all have to be Farmbook or Evony =)

I wouldn't be surprised if there were already a few people here who played, so shout out if you've given it a go. For those new players who do decide to check it out, feel free to ask any questions here. There's also a lot of good information on the wiki, and the forums.

2. SnickerSnack

SnickerSnack Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Estiah: Browser-based MMO/CCG

Sounds cool. I might try it out.

3. Thomh

Thomh Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Estiah: Browser-based MMO/CCG

So that`s what you`ve been up to, Jabari:) I might actually try that game out, but more importantly; good to see you`re live and kicking. The SPF has missed you (at least I have).