Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Essay:Is a Legal Drinking Age Nessacary

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by VaN_haMMerSteIn, Jun 1, 2005.

1. VaN_haMMerSteIn

VaN_haMMerSteIn IncGamers Member

Essay:Is a Legal Drinking Age Nessacary

Ok, here's the thing I need, we're writing an essay in class. My topic:
    Is a legal drinking age nessacary.
    I am saying yes, due to the fact that most people who can legaly drink can barely handle alcohol themselves, and the harmful effects it has on a developing body.
    Anyone got any tips or ideas?
    Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I MEAN YES! :(

2. nrabbit

nrabbit IncGamers Member

so you say that there shouldn't be an age limit like no one is allowed to drink bellow 18 years old right?

3. Ranger14

Ranger14 IncGamers Member

So,let me get this straight. You contend that the people of legal age can't handle it so let's get rid of the age limit so even less mature and responsible people can drink too. Ummm...ok.

I think there needs to be a legal age limit, but I am not sure about it being 21.

4. giantpinkbunnyhead

giantpinkbunnyhead IncGamers Member

I would argue that a minimum age to drink is necessary, however it should be 18 and not 21. I've never seen a halfway convincing reason for 21 over 18. Everyone knows what comes with turning 18... practically every freedom becomes yours as you pass into adulthood. You can vote, you can join the armed forces, you become independent of your parents, you are wholly responsible for your actions, etc.

Abolishing the minimum drinking age could result in several bad consequences and would not really help anything. Allowing kids to drink legally is not going to be a benefit, so there's no reason to do it.

5. KnightFall

KnightFall IncGamers Member

Yes a drinking minimum age is absolutly nessesary!
    Can't have even more people drinking my beer...

I think, nrabbit and Ranger, you mis-understand him, I think he means the age limit should be higher, right VaN?

Edit :

And ofc here in England it's 3 years less than most of the US, set at 18yo.

If it was higher then it would stop the underage people who look old enough getting away with buying alcohol. I know it would just mean the people just below the new age limit would buy it but it would be older people (not sure that makes much sense but I know what I'm talking about).

KnightFall

6. nrabbit

nrabbit IncGamers Member

this is what i am asking what does he mean because i don't want to make unneeded posts

7. VaN_haMMerSteIn

VaN_haMMerSteIn IncGamers Member

No, I mean that there should be an age limit, I am not at liberty to say what age, but there should be one, based on the fact that the people are legal can barely handle it themselves.

8. UserMathias

UserMathias IncGamers Member

I vote null because people who will want to drink will drink.

9. nrabbit

nrabbit IncGamers Member

well then first you can say that drinking at yuong age is very bad for the body and you can list some problems that are caused by alcohol. alcohol will distract young people from studying whatever they have. young people can easily drink too much alcohol without knowing when to stop, this can lead to poisoning( i am not sure if this is how it is called in english) or even sometimes to death. i ll post some more ideas later.

10. UserMathias

UserMathias IncGamers Member

Everything the above guy said. Then ask the audience if age restrictions work or only make it more complicated? Then ask if it encourages kids to turn to drugs which are easier to get. Then say "wink wink" to the kids you know do drugs or drink alocohol.

Slap your head and fall over for effect.

I guarantee a grade.

11. nrabbit

nrabbit IncGamers Member

you can also say that only age restriction cannot prevent young people from drinking because of the fact that there are places where you can buy alcohol no matter what age you are.

12. Isolde212

Isolde212 Banned

Here in Ontario the drinking age in 19. You can enlist, vote and are considered age of majority at 18. I think that the drinking age should be the same as the age of majority because who can tell you that you can't have a drink when you are able to go and fight for your country. It's stupid.

13. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

This is a terrible hypothesis. No matter the age there are going to be people who can't handle alcohol responsibly.

14. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

I agree on changing the age to 18. But here's my question: will large crappy beer producers try to keep it at 21? Everyone around here who is underage buys Nati Light almost exclusively. I've noticed once people hit 21, they start buying better stuff because they can pick it out themselves.

15. Ron Burgundy

Ron Burgundy IncGamers Member

Yes. Drinking can lead to bad grammar.

16. Nos2

Nos2 IncGamers Member

I fully agree. However, I also think most 18 year olds are too immature to drink. Not that those of legal age are mature in every way, but more so than the teens. Alcohol impairs judgement in everyone. What if that judgement is already poor? At 18, you barely know who you are anyway, so throwing alcohol into the mix only makes matters worse. IMO, that is why the legal drinking age is 21 in the US.

-nos

17. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

Legal Drinking age at 18 Hell Yes

At 21 Hell No

It is absurd that at 18 you can go off to war and die but you can't legally buy alcohol

18. bigD72

bigD72 IncGamers Member

If only it was 18.

But the reason why it's not is because back when it was the number of accidents related to alcohol was very skewed towards the 18-21 age group. I don't have time to find the proper statistics (if they would really mean that much.) but if anyone cares to find them, that is the reason it was bumped to 21.

I think it should be 25.

19. Darnoc

Darnoc IncGamers Member

Wisconsin is currently trying to pass a law to bring the drinking age down to the same age you can enlist in the army, 18. There is no federal law that requires an individual to be 21; the government just withholds highway funds to the tune of $millions if they allow anyone between 18-20 to drink. Their logic is if you can die for your country, you can drink.

I believe, that in Germany and France there is no real drinking age; as long as you are taller than the bar you can drink (at least that was my experience when I went there when I was in high school and jr high). I've heard that since children there are taught to drink properly there aren't as many problems with it there.

It seems to me that since kids are forced to wait until a certain age they have no experience with it then and start binging once they get their hands on it. I agree that people are too immature to drink responsibly by themselves at a young age, but maybe supervised drinking with their family should be allowed; i.e. wine at dinner with your family. That way they don't jump head first into alcoholism when they get to college.

I did do some research on accidental deaths; smoking or obesiety/heart disease each kill more people yearly than alcohol related car accidents in the US

20. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

When I joined the army I was told in basic training by my platoon sergeant that if I was old enough to die for my country I was old enough to have a frigging beer, no matter what my age was. Then he ordered me to have one. :)