Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

eshield help

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by SbCaes, Nov 5, 2006.

1. SbCaes

SbCaes Banned

eshield help

does anyone know how does eshield work? i am under the impression that the second u get hit by an ele attack its game over?

and can anyone fix the link to the eshield in the library?

also. can anyone explain to me why ppl who use dualdream bears do not use max eshield and tek? instead of max vita builds? i dont get it.

2. SSoG

SSoG IncGamers Member

Alright, when an enemy attacks you, he's going to deal a certain amount of damage. Ordinarily, this is altered by your PDR/MDR, then your resistances, then your absorb, and then you take whatever's leftover. Energy Shield just adds another step to the damage reduction process- ES's step occurs immediately before the PDR/MDR (and immediately after enemy-weakening skills Weaken, Decrep, Battle Cry, or Taunt).

If a monster deals 100 damage to you, and you have a slvl 20 Telekinesis and a 50% Enery Shield, then Energy Shield will take 50% of that damage off the top. 50% of 100 is 50, so 50 of the damage will go to your ES, and 50 will go to you. Then the TK synergy kicks in and reduces the damage to mana by 25%, which means 37.5 of the damage goes to your mana, 50 goes to your health. And that's that.

Elemental attacks aren't "game over" for ES builds. Many people say that because they think it's a "glitch" that ES comes before your resistances. If you take 400 damage from an elemental attack with a 50% ES, and you have 75% resists, people think that the resists should reduce that to 100 and THEN it should be split through the ES (50 to life, 50 to mana). Instead, the 400 gets split out (200 to life, 200 to mana), and then the amount that goes to your life is reduced by resists (net result = 50 damage to life, 200 damage to mana, modified by the TK synergy).

Anyway, while they were so busy complaining about how positive resists don't HELP energy shield, they missed the memo that negative resists don't HURT it, either. If you take 100 fire damage and you have -100% resists, instead of that damage DOUBLING and then going to ES, it gets split out to ES and *THEN* the remaining damage doubles. This means that, while your mana will take a larger hit than it seems like it should when you have positive resists, it will take a SMALLER hit than it seems like it should when you have negative resists. A good ES/DR build could actually run around in Hell with -100% resist-all and not even care in the slightest. That's handy.

As for Dual-Dream bears... I don't dupe, and I don't trade with dupers, so I've never owned a single dream (or a beast axe, for that matter). Sorry to say that I can't help you there.

3. SorcyBoy

SorcyBoy IncGamers Member

4. akybo

akybo Banned

the link doesnt work