Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

ES/Orber Viable Build??

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by xNamastex, Aug 30, 2006.

1. xNamastex

xNamastex IncGamers Member

ES/Orber Viable Build??

Has anyone made an ES/Orber build. Basically max TK and ES, max FO and synergy, few points in CM. Max energy stats. Use Insight Merc. Deck out sorc with nightwings, fathom, ormus, spirit, arach, magefists, etc...

I didn't see a guide on it, but sounds like it could be a fun and powerful build. The only concern would be cold immunes and whether or not merc can handle large swarms of them (ie. rogues or knights).

2. Xenon[XoA]

Xenon[XoA] Banned

3. Dystopianday

Dystopianday IncGamers Member

Xenon's write-ups pretty much handle the build part of it, but to address this - one thing I found handly when playing as a +18 skills manatank ES orber was to put one point into lightning mastery. Since you'll need lightning and chain anyway for ES, one LM point gives you a ~1k damage chain, which with static is enough to help your merc out significantly. Give him a fort and a good eth infinity and he'll tear stuff up. Just don't try it in multiplayer games.

I use my ES orber to rush, she's twice as fast as hammerdin - the only place I have to switch out is Chaos, where the merc death rate is phenomenal.

4. xNamastex

Thanks for the information. I am I right in my assumption that this build is actually not all that powerful for PVM, especially multiplayer PVM? I am amazed by the killing power of the FO I have now on my meterorb (if aimed properly) and just thought that if focussed on FO, it would be quite powerful for PVM.

Also, I never really had much success in past using the ES/TK combo for some reason (probably due to not maxing TK). How long could a sorc with say Tals Set and Insight merc stand by Durance entrance in Trav before dying? I was expecting that maxed ES/TK + Meditation aura + nice mana bulb + 75% resists + Ber'd Stormshield would make sorc almost unkillable but maybe I am not getting something.

5. Dystopianday

Dystopianday IncGamers Member

Well - If by "powerful in PVM" you mean "can mop the floor with stuff in hell 8 player games" ala Hammerdin/lightning sorc/javazon, then no. In solo games however, one orb will usually wipe out anything, and they're especially powerful against act bosses, who rely on resists to stay alive - mastery negates those.

The thing about maxing ES and TK is that low resists (and curses, and physical resists @ Stormshield) are rendered irrelevant - the mana eats everything, and what hits your resists isn't significant. If you're counting on vitality/blocking/resists to keep you alive, you should have a good idea how long you'll live... not long, just standing there.

What you need to do - I think - is take the red pill. Leave vitality base, forget resists, and throw everything into energy. Then the answer to your question is "Pretty much as long as your meditation stays up."

Unless they have mana burn. Then you have about 2 seconds to realize it and get away before you're a grease stain.

6. xNamastex

Thanks - I'll give it a try