Es or not to Es pvm Light sorc?

Keldon Hero

Diabloii.Net Member
Es or not to Es pvm Light sorc?

I'm building a pvm, mf, rusher, Key runner light sorc using infinity on merc. I'm still undecided on whether to max synergys or energy sheild. Also i'm interested in whether with ethier to max block or not. I will be using spirit so i'm not how possible that will be. Any advice will be welcomed. :smiley:
 

MageChick

Diabloii.Net Member
well, spirit kinda takes max block out of the running. ES or not - really up to you. I prefer damage myself, but I think it will come down to personal play style.
 

WrathTalon

Diabloii.Net Member
MageChick said:
well, spirit kinda takes max block out of the running. ES or not - really up to you. I prefer damage myself, but I think it will come down to personal play style.
My feelings exactly. Spirit would require more dex than I'd be willing to invest to keep blocking up. (I'm a huge fan of Whitstan's for block builds.)

And for pure lightning builds, I'm convinced that a good offense is the best defense. With fully-synergized lightning and chain lightning attacks, and an Infinity merc, you'll vaporize almost every monster in one cast. Chain lightning will even kill things off-screen. So just not much need for protection, in my experience.

This is especially true if playing small games (rushing, key-running, MFing) where monsters have low life. If you're doing 8-player PvM games, your killing speed will go down, and monsters will have time to swipe at you more often--but then, you have party-members around to take the heat off you.

If going a Nova build, then ES makes sense (what else would one do with all those skill points?). But for L/CL... ES might leave you feeling you've sunk a lot of points into something you don't really need.
 

rata

Diabloii.Net Member
you need es, but just one point, don't bother about blocking with spirit shield. like wrath said, they won't get close enough that u need to block.
 

Thyiad

Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian
My light sorc is 85. I went max life, spirit shield, crescent moon and the HF merc carries Insight. Don't have Infinity as I play SP and don't buy so many duped runes. :tongue: I'll make Infinity when I find another Ber.

She has 117%fcr amd doesn't use ES. I considered it but looked at the skill point requirements for ES to be EFFECTIVE and thought it was too much.

I did try 1 point ES from a staff but found it more a liability than an asset. One hit and I can lose all my mana meaning no teleporting. You get get out of an awful lot of bother with 117%fcr and a HF merc, IF you are alive. 1 point in ES without an investment in Telekinesis just isn't worth it in my opinion.
 

Keldon Hero

Diabloii.Net Member
Thyiad said:
My light sorc is 85. I went max life, spirit shield, crescent moon and the HF merc carries Insight. Don't have Infinity as I play SP and don't buy so many duped runes. :tongue: I'll make Infinity when I find another Ber.

She has 117%fcr amd doesn't use ES. I considered it but looked at the skill point requirements for ES to be EFFECTIVE and thought it was too much.

I did try 1 point ES from a staff but found it more a liability than an asset. One hit and I can lose all my mana meaning no teleporting. You get get out of an awful lot of bother with 117%fcr and a HF merc, IF you are alive. 1 point in ES without an investment in Telekinesis just isn't worth it in my opinion.
How effective is the damage from cresent moon are you only using because your single player or is that your idea of end game. I have found that an intriguing option.
 

Thyiad

Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian
Keldon Hero said:
How effective is the damage from cresent moon are you only using because your single player or is that your idea of end game. I have found that an intriguing option.
Crescent Moon is my idea of "I haven't used it before". :grin: My other sorcies use Wizardspikes and Tals Orb but they are dual and triple tree respectively. This is a pure light sorc and as I can't afford Infinity yet, I like the -%LR.

Shein's info is as follows (these include all +skills and +to str/dex etc, damage stated is max as per LCS does not include bonus from Crescent Moon):
Code:
[B]Stats[/B]
176 str - 156 base for the spirit
55 dex
312 vit
63 energy
20 points remaining

[B]Skills[/B]
[U]Fire[/U]
7 Warmth
[U]Cold[/U]
7 First armour - shouldn't have bothered really but might come in handy if I get Infinity and the switch will might be taken up with something else.
[U]Light[/U]
26 Charged Bolt 26 - 232 damage
13 Nova - 544 damage
26 Lightening - 9082 damage
26 Chain Light - 4808 damage
7 Thunderstorm - 270 damage
26 Light Mastery
10 Telekinesis - I had forgotten about this!
7 Teleport
7 Energy Shield - one hard point

[B]Gear[/B]
Helm - yellow FCR and resists
Weapon - Crescent Moon in an Axe (I thought I might stick it on a barb or something later)
Amulet - yellow FCR resists +1 skills
Shield - Spirit monarch
Armour - Skin of the Viper Magi (not up'd)
Gloves - Magefists
Belt - TGods (I hate gloams)
Rings - 2x10% fcr with resists
Boots - Aldurs (fire resist)
Charms - 2 light skillers couple of small items to top up resists but thats it

[B]Resists [/B](all in Hell)Fire - 68
Cold - 66
Light - 63
Poison - 70
Edit:
  • I have a staff with +2 Blizzard and +2 Meteor (and +2 Chilling Armour) on switch at the moment. With the +skills it helps the merc out a bit if absolutely necessary.
  • The HF merc uses Insight, Vamp and Duriels.
I am thinking maybe use CM & Spirit with the Infinity on switch for LIs only. The merc has Insight and if he dies I can gulp a rejuv. If he has the Infinity and dies I think it could be a nasty situation. Something to try when I get Infinity.

She can solo Baal runs and a good 10 levels before my Blizzballer could do it comfortably. I confess to rerolling the WSK if there are LIs about; I let the merc deal with LI in Lower Kuraust on rune runs. She is pretty sturdy even without max block/ES. My blizzballer went max block and although she is level 93, I would say Shein is probably tougher. My only caveat would be Shein does have a HF merc, I went Barbarian with the blizzballer because they are more proactive. Both of them have 105% fcr.

If you are playing on bnet then the runes aren't going to cost you a lot. Why not try it? However, I am not generally someone for 'the absolute pwnage'. I have a druid who uses Moulton Boulder, a barbarian using Leap Attack. My only paladin never made it past level 20.

Don't use it if you are worried about being laughed at by all the bnetters. BUT if you can't affort Infinity or you mainly MP or run where there aren't LI's; try CM. I haven't tried a LR wand on switch but that might increase your damage - but I don't think (someone check please) it will break immunities. In fact, I must check the AS and find out which monsters can't be broken by Infinity.

Best of luck and enjoy your play.
 

munchkins

Diabloii.Net Member
es is useless unless you build your character around it

no es and go synergies... to have good es u need tk as well...
 

d00m2k

Diabloii.Net Member
Playing hardcore, untwinked, I never go ES.

Full block, the rest life. From my experience and from what I hear, ES gets you killed teleporting dangerous areas, even with high telekinesis.
 

Lyndis

Diabloii.Net Member
if you plan your build entirely around ES, you can actually survive very well except evweyrthing against Mana burn, I'd imagine. You just need like 1500% mana, lots of mana regen, level 40 ES, and a good amount of straight DR and MDR gear, and you'll take no damage in hell. Your "life" will regenerate insanely quickly, and you can always quaff a mana pot/regen pot in case of an emergency. Poison will be the only thing that instantly takes you down to one life. and you can ignore resists/fhr.
 

munchkins

Diabloii.Net Member
Lyndis said:
if you plan your build entirely around ES, you can actually survive very well except evweyrthing against Mana burn, I'd imagine. You just need like 1500% mana, lots of mana regen, level 40 ES, and a good amount of straight DR and MDR gear, and you'll take no damage in hell. Your "life" will regenerate insanely quickly, and you can always quaff a mana pot/regen pot in case of an emergency. Poison will be the only thing that instantly takes you down to one life. and you can ignore resists/fhr.

to get 95% dmg goes to mana you need lvl 44 ES

to make it viable you will need a lot of damage reduced by x or % as well
 
Top