Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Ertide does not like restrictions.

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Ertide, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Ertide

Ertide Diabloii.Net Member

Ertide does not like restrictions.

Max level at 60? Weapons restricted to certain classes? Is anyone else out there going "WTF?!"? The max level kinda sucks, but I can live with it. But the weapon restrictions? Half the fun of D2 was coming up with crazy builds(MELEE SORC!).

Anyone else think this will hurt more then help the game? I can't see anything that takes away from replay value helping it.

2. konfeta

konfeta Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Ertide does not like restrictions.

If your complaint is that you cannot do melee Wizard builds, Wizards can still use melee weapons (and a decent variety too, last time we checked: they still have a healthy variety of 2 handers and 1 handers available).

The reason they gave for actually having restrictions is simple time budgeting - animating the weapons takes work. Animating entire sets of weapons on classes that almost no one will lend up using is a wasting time when there are other, more interesting things they can do applicable to everyone.

The variety of crazy builds will be decided almost entirely by creative item attributes.

And, just to make Flux feel appreciated:

http://www.diablowiki.net/Class-Specific_Weapons

3. Nekora

Nekora Diabloii.Net Member

How is the max level a 'restriction' any more than any other max level?

And have you been paying attention? The weapon restrictions are VERY permissive. It's not like you somehow can't make a melee wizard because wizard's cant wield 2-handed axes. You still have TONS of other melee weapon options available to you.

None of this is hurting replay value.

4. Ertide

When I put restrictions in the thread title I was meaning the weapon restrictions. And this is very much so hurting replay value. What if I wanted to make a sorc with a bow? But since bows on sorcs would be silly they do not allow sorcs to use bows(just an example). That is hurting replay value.

5. AxeX

AxeX Diabloii.Net Member

With how much harder they plan on having the game be, I doubt you'll get past act 1 with a bow Wizard.

6. Nekora

Nekora Diabloii.Net Member

Ugly builds will still be very possible. Besides, I think wizards CAN use bows in D3. The only things they can't seem to use are the super-heavy 2-handed axes and maces and stuff.

Ugly builds were rarely defined by the specific type of weapon as much as they were by the skills anyway. Saying that wizards use 1-handed melee weapons is not really limiting you from making a melee wizard.

It's not hurting replay value if it's not restricting your build options.

7. Glass

Glass Diabloii.Net Member

You do realise that 99 was a restriction, right?

8. fmulder

fmulder Site Contributor

I think it is a bit premature to think that some form of weapon restrictions will hurt replay value. Blizzard has yet to reveal the full extent of customization options available in D3. I think the skill runes system will definitely lead to some crazy builds.

9. Dahmer

Dahmer Diabloii.Net Member

Mind showing me ONE game that doesn't have a level restriction? ONE game where you can...for example get to level 985 or something like that with enough time?

10. Moonfrost

Moonfrost Diabloii.Net Member

I'm going to politely disagree with you there, unless D2 was the only game you played for the past decade or something.

11. lone_wolf

lone_wolf Diablo: IncGamers Member

That is easy darkfall:

"A level free skill based system with hundreds of skills to learn and master encourages full participation from day one. There are no levels and there are no classes. You can choose to develop any combination of skills and create a truly unique character."

and mortal online:

"No levels and no level restrictions, go where you want whenever you want"

not all games out there use levels

12. Dahmer

Dahmer Diabloii.Net Member

So you're restricted by the fact that there are no levels? :p

13. TheMythe

TheMythe Diablo: IncGamers Member

I think you mean 'being restricted by the fact that there ARE levels', right?

If there are no levels than there can be no level restrictions...

Or am I in the wrong here?

14. Sass

Sass Diabloii.Net Member

No, he was right.

Not having levels restricts customization and progression.

15. TheMythe

TheMythe Diablo: IncGamers Member

In that case, customization no, progress yes a bit because one still has skill development.

16. delosombres

delosombres Diabloii.Net Member

I suppose these games must be perfectly balanced...

You mean like 0.1% of all RPGs do not use levels. So what? Maybe Blizzard should remove levels for the sake of being more original.

17. Adree

Adree Diabloii.Net Member

I'm not a huge fan of the weapon restrictions either, but I am trying really hard to think more positively about these things. Generally, whenever there is a restriction I don't like, I try to remind myself that for any detail that they choose to leave out or restrict, there are at least two good reasons:

1) It's good for the gameplay. They can actually balance the endgame in a much better way if they know ahead of time what the limitations are. I trust them to make a good game for us. Blizzard has yet to produce a game that hasn't been an industry smasher, and I am sure their game is going to be incredible.

2) It shortens the development cycle. While it would be nice to have an option to run around as a Barbarian armed with two butter knives, or a wizard swinging a massive polearm, developing the animations for these puts a big drag on the production time. So, I ask myself, would I prefer the flexibility, or would I prefer the game to arrive sooner...which is hardly a question at all.

18. lone_wolf

lone_wolf Diablo: IncGamers Member

No they are full pvp all the time games with full loot of all player gear. Its not meant to be perfectly balanced its meant to be a game that is very hard to master as well as a game where your never safe and have to learn to paly the game as a noob directly becasue nobody will be there to hold your hand.

its the opposite of the various themepark games like wow. Both of them are sandbox games something that has not been seen for years since those kind of games are not in general noob friendly and therefor dont carter to the casuals like most games of today do, since it is a economically sound strategy.

Blizzard should do what they are good at make casual friendly games that has some added depth for hardcore players. Blizzard is good at taking insperation from various other games as well as tabletop and pen and paper games and make their own variants off it while putting their own special tough on it.

There is no need for any game developer to be original for the sake of being original. That alongside with trying to do to much at the same time is a sure way of making mistakes an example of that would be flagship studios.

When the failure of a company spawn a new term to use for a bad game you know it ended up bad.

But then again now i can always say i have been flagshipped in the past. i just hope diblo 3 wont be another.

As for the restrictions they are broad enough that we still have options to take a spin on the various character archetypes.

its not like we have a character in the game that can only use 1-2 weapon types.

blizzcon should hopefully show us more about the various items in the game and in turn show us the options open to us when it comes to choosing our weapons for our characters.

19. Ertide

D2 was ONE of the games I've played for the last decade. And creating an off the wall character was very fun.

20. konfeta

konfeta Diabloii.Net Member

So much for direct evidence directly answering a concern. Wizards, as of right now, can use bows, pole arms, two handed maces, and 1h axe/sword/maces. "off" builds are clearly not restricted in any real amount by this unless, itemization wise, all the best melee items end up as 2h axes and 2h swords.

All of which were promptly unsheathed in a group dead horse beating.

:(